Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leaky Better Bottles  (Read 4487 times)

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Leaky Better Bottles
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:08:24 pm »
Anyone else sprung a leak in a Better Bottle?  I just had my second one.  The first time, I thought it was a fluke.  Now now.  The leak is on the bottom somewhere, just like the first one.  It was sitting outside full of PBW solution, soaking away, then I noticed the wetness below and the volume inching downwards everyday.  Freezing was not a factor.  I think I'm giving up on them.  I wonder if PBW could have an effect on the material?
Kirk Howell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Leaky Better Bottles
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 05:58:11 pm »
I've used PBW and Oxyclean and let better bottles soak for a good long time.  Never had a leak in one.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 05:10:17 am »
Huh? There are no seams.... you sure it wasn't condensation/evaporation?

In any case, stick a plug in there, then an air hose with very low pressure and spray with Star San.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:24:34 am »
I've used PBW and Oxyclean and let better bottles soak for a good long time.  Never had a leak in one.

Same here...one time was about 2 months and haven't had a single leak with them.

Did you buy these 2 BB at the same time?  Maybe it was a bad lot.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:35:46 am »
I've only used the plain version and never had a problem.  If you're using the ported one, double check the seal on the valve.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48:57 am »
I have 3 better bottles that I use frequently.  I have allowed them to soak for a few days with PBW and have never had an issue. 

+1 to checking the seals if it is a ported BB.

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:51:35 am »
In any case, stick a plug in there, then an air hose with very low pressure and spray with Star San.

You mean a plug in the top?  Good idea, kind of pressurize it to see a leak.  But it's not condensation or evaporation.  Another one is out there right next to it and is doing fine.  It's not ported.
Maybe it was a bad lot.  I still have two more good ones.  I'll keep using them, and if nothing happens in two years or so, I'll chalk it up to a bad lot.
Kirk Howell

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 07:55:59 am »
I've had 2 that leaked. I would not attribute it to cleaning solution, rather mishandling.

If, when they are full of liquid, you put them down a little too rough, the hard plastic on the bottom can crack - I noticed this on both ones that leaked.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 07:59:40 am »
It is dry here in Northern Nevada, high desert, big temperature swings, low humidity.  If it's not a bad lot, that's the only other variable I can think of.
Kirk Howell

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:27 am »
I've had 2 that leaked. I would not attribute it to cleaning solution, rather mishandling.

If, when they are full of liquid, you put them down a little too rough, the hard plastic on the bottom can crack - I noticed this on both ones that leaked.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Thanks.  But rather than call it mishandling, I would call it weak design, which is why I'm not buying any more, because I don't recall doing anything rough with them.
Kirk Howell

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:32 am »

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Thanks.  But rather than call it mishandling, I would call it weak design, which is why I'm not buying any more, because I don't recall doing anything rough with them.

yeah - I hear you.  I don't really use them anymore, but if I was going to need 5gal fermenters going forward, I think I would just get good ol' buckets. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 03:15:00 pm »
I haven't gotten better bottles, though I've been thinking about it. if hard handling is the cause, you might consider using a plastic milk crate as a holder. I've done that with my carboys for years, so it wouldn't be a big deal. makes them easier to pick up, handle, move, set down on concrete, keep them from banging each other. certainly more critical with glass carboys, but maybe a good idea for the better bottles as well.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 08:49:25 am »
Update:  Another one started leaking.  That's 3 out of 4.  Cracks on the bottom.  Number 4 has cracks developing.
I wrote Better Bottle.  Their website is BetterBottle.com.
They responded.  Caustic cleaners degrade the plastic
I use PBW, and sometimes let it sit in there for hours, if not days.  They recommend not doing that.  Also, it's not good to pour the PBW in first and then put water on top of it.  They recommend using it sparingly, and rinsing it out as soon as possible.
I responded that they should get the word out, that this was new information to me, and that the forum didn't know about it either.
Kirk Howell

Offline blatz

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:02 am »
Update:  Another one started leaking.  That's 3 out of 4.  Cracks on the bottom.  Number 4 has cracks developing.
I wrote Better Bottle.  Their website is BetterBottle.com.
They responded.  Caustic cleaners degrade the plastic
I use PBW, and sometimes let it sit in there for hours, if not days.  They recommend not doing that.  Also, it's not good to pour the PBW in first and then put water on top of it.  They recommend using it sparingly, and rinsing it out as soon as possible.
I responded that they should get the word out, that this was new information to me, and that the forum didn't know about it either.

so...what do they recommend cleaning them with then?

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:05:10 am »
PBW, among others, but sparingly.  And, pre-mix it before pouring it in. 
here's their link...
http://www.better-bottle.com/technical.html
Sounds like they want us to share the work with the cleaner (shaking, scrubbing), rather than letting the cleaner do all the work.
Glass is sounding better all the time.
Actually, reverting back to buckets is sounding better all the time.
Kirk Howell