Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is a refractometer worth the $$?  (Read 12041 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Is a refractometer worth the $$?
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:56 am »
Maybe it was Studach who dropped it  ;D

Hey, I'm always up for blaming the Bald Guy!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:12 am »
guess I will throw my 2 pennies in - since I initially calibrated my refractometer to my hydro about 2 years ago and through data found my correct adjustment factor in the refracto tool in Beersmith, I have never had a problem with it - its always dead on, even for post fermentation readings (which I always take a hydro of since I like to taste).

Its most helpful to me for determining the gravity along the boil so I can know where I stand as far as extraction from the mash.

YMMV.

Promash has a correction factor also that I've tried to use.  It recommends a generic correction of about 1.04 IIRC and doesn't let you go below 1.  The problem is that when I do the math, mine always ends up under 1.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:53 am »
I wouldn't give up on them. It one of the best brewing investments I ever made and I paid a lot more for mine than they are going for now.

I'll definitely break it out again next brew session and see how it does.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2011, 11:39:51 am »
I use my refractometer pre-fermentation and stick to the hydrometer for post fermentation.

+1

This is my practice as well.

I just bought mine and have yet to use it, other than calibrating it, but this is my intention - besides, licking the couple of drops off of the prism isn't really much of a taste is it...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:42:35 am by akr71 »
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2011, 09:31:12 am »
I could never get an accurate FG reading out of my refractometer. When it broke, I didn't bother to replace it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:32 pm »
I've yet to use one.  ???

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 12:05:12 pm »

Thanks for the data Tom, your results have me wondering if my adjustment factor for my hydrometer has changed.  I haven't recalibrate it in about 8 months.  I've got an alt finishing up and the brown I brewed last weekend fermented like crazy and should be done by the weekend.  I'll recalibrate and run FG both ways this weekend and post my results.

Ok,   I just finished up doing my FG testing.   I recalibrated everything before I took my readings.  Since I always have a lab wash bottle of Distilled water handy I check my refractometer every time I use it.  It is sensitive to ambient temperatures.  Also, while it is an ATC model, I always cool my sample down to at least 90F before taking a reading.

Batch 1 Dusseldorf Alt
OG  1.048/11.9 Brix (by refractometer only)
FG 1.011 by Hydrometer (1.01 at 69.4F corrected to 1.011)
FG 5.8 Brix calulating to 1.011FG using Sean's algortihms

Batch 2 Northern English Brown Ale
OG  1.046/11.4Brix (by refractometer only)
FG 1.012 by Hydrometer (1.011 at 69.5F corrected to 1.012)
FG 6 Brix calulating to 1.012 FG using Sean's algortihms

Most of the beers I brew are 1.045 to 1.065 OG and Sean's correction factors give me great results. At this point I am content with storing my hydrometer for use on high OG brews.

Thanks again Sean.  I appreciate all the time and effort you put into your refractometer analysis!
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 01:46:25 am »
I went looking for one the other day, I heard that patisserie/confectioners shops carry them. But JEEZ, 250 big ones before tax, no thanks. I'll stick with my hydrometer, thanks.

For what it's worth, I think a good quick-reading pH meter would be a better buy.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 05:12:24 am »
I went looking for one the other day, I heard that patisserie/confectioners shops carry them. But JEEZ, 250 big ones before tax, no thanks. I'll stick with my hydrometer, thanks.

For what it's worth, I think a good quick-reading pH meter would be a better buy.

Here's an ATC one with free shipping worldwide for $30:  http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-0-32-ATC-Brix-Refractometer-Wine-Beer-CNC-Sugar-/390202796300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad9e6290c

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:59 am »

Here's an ATC one with free shipping worldwide for $30:  http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-0-32-ATC-Brix-Refractometer-Wine-Beer-CNC-Sugar-/390202796300?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad9e6290c

Oh hellooooo.. Don't mind if I do. Thanks! 30 euros WITH SHIPPING, ftw.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:21:15 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2011, 08:17:17 am »
I've got an ATC 0-32 Brix unit made by Alla in Chemille, France!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member