Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Autosiphon with bad seal  (Read 6691 times)

Offline uisgue

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Autosiphon with bad seal
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 08:45:51 pm »
I've found that a little keg seal lubricant helps a lot.
Doug Hickey
Crescent City, CA
Symposia Brew Corps

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »
I really recommend a stainless racking cane with a carboy cap and a sterile air filter.  After switching to this I would never switch back to an auto-siphon.  It doesn't break or craze, I can push it with CO2 if I want, the siphon starts every time without fail . . . it works best for me.

Do you just blow into the filter real hard if not using CO2?

Yep.  I have one of these and have used it once.  It worked as advertised (more or less) but it hasn't divorced me from my autosiphon.  At some point I do plan on taking that carboy cap and rigging up a closed transfer system using CO2.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 12:22:08 am »
I really recommend a stainless racking cane with a carboy cap and a sterile air filter.  After switching to this I would never switch back to an auto-siphon.  It doesn't break or craze, I can push it with CO2 if I want, the siphon starts every time without fail . . . it works best for me.

Do you just blow into the filter real hard if not using CO2?
Yes, like tygo said, you just blow into it.  I don't think you have to blow that hard, but it depends on how high you have to push the beer to get to the top of the racking cane.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Bohnewi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2022, 11:30:07 am »
It sounds like you need to replace the piston cup seal at the end of the caning stick.  Mine takes a 12mm x 18mm x 5mm seal.  A package of five is less than $7 on Amazon.

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2022, 01:30:58 pm »
I've experienced the same. Thought the autosiphon was a great idea. Um, not unless we want to make oxygen ruined beers.

These things are junk.