General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Oops, missed

(1/3) > >>

tygo:
So this ESB I just brewed today was my first all grain attempt and also my first beer in a few years.  So I planned conservatively.  I was shooting for 5 gallons at 1.058.  And I ended up with 3.5 gallons at 1.088.  Oops.  Guess my efficiency was okay.  It's in the fermenter but I haven't pitched the yeast yet.  I knew I wasn't going to get it perfect but that's a little far outside what I was shooting for.  I'm okay with the lower volume but that gravity is pretty high.  Not that I'm afraid drinking a Whoops Imperial ESB but I'm a little worried my dinky 2 qt starter might not have the best performance.  The bitterness will probably be okay since I underplanned them a little and the utilization was down but so was the volume.

So what should I do?  Pitch the yeast and see what happens?  Go down to the store and get a gallon or so of spring water and mix it in?  Thoughts?

blatz:
though I've never had this happen, personally, I would go get 1.5 gallons of RO water and add that in.  your pitch rate looks fine to me in either case (as is or topped up).

good luck

hokerer:
I'd go ahead and top it up to 5 gallons.  That should get you down to 1.061 or so which is a lot closer to your target.  Then, figure out where your calcs went wrong and try and fix that for next time.

pdbreen:

--- Quote from: hokerer on December 11, 2009, 11:23:11 AM ---I'd go ahead and top it up to 5 gallons.  That should get you down to 1.061 or so which is a lot closer to your target.  Then, figure out where your calcs went wrong and try and fix that for next time.

--- End quote ---

+1 on this.  My guess is that you started with a 5gal boil and lost 1.5gal to evap instead of starting with a 6.5-7gal boil.

ndcube:
I would top up as well.  If not be prepared for a buzz.  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version