Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC First Round Results  (Read 20283 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: NHC First Round Results
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 09:04:43 am »
I don't suppose you know if Texas is done yet do you?
Dallas will not be done until the 17th.  How do I know?  The status for all regions can be found here:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 10:28:33 am »
Dallas will not be done until the 17th.  How do I know?  The status for all regions can be found here:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/competitions/national-homebrew-competition

Well, 17th or later.

That they only got half way through in one weekend does not inspire confidence that they will finish in a second. I hope so, as I entered there and I don't want to be totally blind on any re-brewing required.

Offline green_dragon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 10:47:41 am »
Thanks for the info!
Currently Enjoying:  Oak-aged Oatmeal Stout & what's left of my NewCastle clone
Conditioning:  None
Fermenting: Coopers Wheat Beer Kit (for the wife)
On Deck:  AHS 20th Anniversary IPA Kit

Offline darmerderner

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 11:16:42 am »

Well, 17th or later.

That they only got half way through in one weekend does not inspire confidence that they will finish in a second. I hope so, as I entered there and I don't want to be totally blind on any re-brewing required.

I know how you feel we're sucking it up and re-brewing our Imperial Stout this weekend.  Hopefully the other five wont need any changes.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 11:48:20 am »
Dallas will not be done until the 17th.  How do I know?  The status for all regions can be found here:
Well, 17th or later.
You may be right.
I am entered in the Indianapolis region, and will give that status a check early next week.
Edit: there is a post by Janis Gross for judges.  3 of the 6 did not get done last week.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:53:24 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2011, 01:33:37 pm »
Dallas will not be done until the 17th.  How do I know?  The status for all regions can be found here:
Well, 17th or later.
You may be right.
I am entered in the Indianapolis region, and will give that status a check early next week.
Edit: there is a post by Janis Gross for judges.  3 of the 6 did not get done last week.   

I wish there was some word 3-4 weeks ago that these regions weren't going to be able to handle the entries. After flying 750 miles to Denver to judge last weekend and then working on the East coast all week I'm not about to go to Dallas or Madison this weekend, and wouldn't anyway on one day notice. If I wasn't actively paying attention there was really no communication on a national scale about these problems to judges until Janis posted a few hours ago. If I had known a month ago these cities wouldn't make it I would have changed my plans and judged at one or the other rather than Denver, which certainly didn't need my help to easily handle their entries.

I am honestly surprised at the trouble Dallas is having. This is the city that boasts of the largest single site brewing competition in the country!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2011, 02:59:25 pm »
You just can't tell in advance who will show up and who will not on the day of judging.  You can try to get confirmations, but that doesn't mean much.  I'm sure they're all doing there best to finish them as quickly as possible while still having quality judging.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2011, 03:32:12 pm »
You just can't tell in advance who will show up and who will not on the day of judging.  You can try to get confirmations, but that doesn't mean much.  I'm sure they're all doing there best to finish them as quickly as possible while still having quality judging.

I've run a competition before and while you can't tell exactly who will be there, I would have had a feeling a couple of weeks out that I was only going to be able to do half of the entries. I imagine that was the case here too. In reality you are talking maybe 10% of confirmed people not showing and when scheduling flights you make provisions in anticipation of this. Has your experience been that different than mine?

I'm sure the people who showed up did their best. I more take issue with the people from that city that pride themselves on running large competitions that did not show up.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2011, 03:58:26 pm »

I've run a competition before and while you can't tell exactly who will be there, I would have had a feeling a couple of weeks out that I was only going to be able to do half of the entries. I imagine that was the case here too. In reality you are talking maybe 10% of confirmed people not showing and when scheduling flights you make provisions in anticipation of this. Has your experience been that different than mine?

I'm sure the people who showed up did their best. I more take issue with the people from that city that pride themselves on running large competitions that did not show up.
No, my experience hasn't been that different, and I agree that it's a bit of a surprise that they had trouble in that area.  But a lot of things could have happened to slow things down unexpectedly, and maybe they were just overly optimistic about how many of the "maybe" judges would actually show.  I don't know.  I'm just trying to avoid a rush to judgment. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 06:54:52 pm »
I don't know anything about the logistics of running a homebrew competition so this is really a question and not a criticism.  But is it odd that half the competitions that have been held so far have not been able to finish?  Has that happened in the past?  The entry limit is still capped at the same level as in previous years, correct?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 09:18:08 pm »
I don't know anything about the logistics of running a homebrew competition so this is really a question and not a criticism.  But is it odd that half the competitions that have been held so far have not been able to finish?  Has that happened in the past?  The entry limit is still capped at the same level as in previous years, correct?
Last year was the first that any region hit the 750 cap.  2 regions actualy did.

Someone will have to say if those had issues last year.  Janis?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 10:08:58 pm »
Last year was the first that any region hit the 750 cap.  2 regions actualy did.

Someone will have to say if those had issues last year.  Janis?

IIRC, one region needed two weeks last year.

To be clear I am not criticizing any organizer. I have every reason to believe they have all made huge sacrifices in service of the AHA and done everything as well as could be expected.

When it comes to a city like Dallas that can judge a 1600 entry competition in March and can't manage a 750 entry NHC first round in April? Yeah some people need to step up.

The 80 judges or so that showed up with me in Denver and they presumably similar numbers who showed up in Seattle and San Diego and got it done deserve high praise. It is too bad I can't praise that number of judges in Dallas but the ones that did show up have all of my respect and gratitude.

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2011, 02:25:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

As I am sure you are all aware, every competition has its own background that can contribute to the problems of finishing of judging 750 entries in one weekend.  Dallas just finished the Bluebonnet competition in March. Having the NHC competition so soon after the Bluebonnet was a concern of mine in the decision to move the competition back to TX.  From what I understand, the local judges were not very involved in the first weekend of judging, but the out of town judges made a good run at the entries.  This weekend we are confident that the local judges will help to finish the competition before the April 23rd deadline.

In my experience, it is not an easy thing to devote two weekends in a row to judging, especially at this time of year.  Who among us doesn't have chores around the house and in the garden at this time?  Who among us doesn't have a neglected spouse and family and/or a job that demands equal or better time. I'm sure there is no one out there thinking the continuation of judging in any of these competitions is being done for any reason other than that there are still entries to be judged.

The organizers of the First Round NHC competitions are volunteers who take on a HUGE task for the benefit of the entrants and the AHA.  We couldn't put on this competition without these volunteers.  I think they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.  So, give them a break.  They all know you are waiting for your results.  Please try to be patient.

Cheers,
    Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 02:41:59 pm »

The organizers of the First Round NHC competitions are volunteers who take on a HUGE task for the benefit of the entrants and the AHA.  We couldn't put on this competition without these volunteers.  I think they are doing the best they can under the circumstances.  So, give them a break.  They all know you are waiting for your results.  Please try to be patient.

Cheers,
    Janis

I would like to resonate Janis's thoughts and thank all of the BJCP judges and staff that have donated their skills and time toward this great competition. I have multiple entries in the competition and as a BJCP judge myself, I know the time and effort it takes to judge 750 entries. It can be overwhelming at times and requires the efforts of everyone involved to accomplish the task and get the job done. We must be patient and in due time we'll all get our results.

Good Luck to all entrants!
Ron Price

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 08:59:06 pm »
I noticed that this year, I received scores via e-mail in record time.  I entered in the Denver location.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection