Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bread today!  (Read 1952 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Bread today!
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:21:04 am »
About the only thing that gets me as happy as brewing is baking sourdough bread!  Got my starter cranking up the last couple days.  Fed it this AM and gonna start on the batch in another hour or so when it's bubbling furiously!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Bread today!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:19:55 pm »
You're gonna have to show us some pics. I love fresh baked bread and some Brummel & Brown®. Yum.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 08:12:14 pm »
Fresh sourdough is awesome.  I've been making five-minute style rye; waiting to make the loaves until the dough has set in the fridge for three days.  A thick slice of freshly baked rye with sharp cheddar or a little butter and a homebrew is pretty hard to beat.  cheers and enjoy your sourdough

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:10 pm »
Only thing that beast that is some italian, with a lilttle butter, and some peppers in oil.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 09:57:20 pm »
My wife makes two loves of German pumpernickel twice a week.

Awesome!

<edit>

Lest this post seem non sequitur, my wife makes her pumpernickel bread with starters made from my sourdough mother (which I have gladly enlisted to the cause).  I take pride in my breadmaking, but I gotta say her pumpernickel bread kicks my ass, bread-wise.  Apparently it is a family receipe that my mother-in-law brought with her from Germany.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:16:00 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:43:37 am »
Sorry, no pics, but the bread turned out perfectly.  4 beautiful sourdough bagettes, one of which was consumed with dinner last night.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell