Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kolsch question  (Read 9097 times)

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Kolsch question
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:36 pm »
How hard is it to brew a kolsch? Another brewer was telling me about brewing one and having to do multiple rest and hop infusions.

With today's highly modified malts can a kolsch be brewed using a single infusion/batch sparge?

Does anyone have a recipe they would like to share?

Thanks!
Dano.
Tulsa, OK

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Kolsch question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:56:07 pm »
I've been drinking on my first. It's not hard and I encourage you to leap in and do it. Since this was my first the grain bill was straight 2-row mashed at 150. Fermented in the 60's and cold-conditioned for about 10 days.

Was thinking maybe a bit of munich or vienna malt might improve it a bit. That easy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:33:38 pm »
The lower the temp you can ferment at the better it will be, but it's no harder than any other beer to brew.  That said I'm still not satisfied with my last 2 Kolsch recipes.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:09:35 am »
Don't have the grain bill on me..... but the wife LOVES my Kölsch. Two weeks at 65, cold crashed and kegged. A week later it was clear and tasty.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:29:15 am »
With today's malts single infusion is generally fine. I only ever single infuse mine at around 150-152. The 3 tricky parts are 1) getting the pH right on the mash (not a problem if you brew extract, but in that case go with 100% German pils extract 2) Pitching enough yeast - you need a pitch larger than a standard ale, but not quite as big as a lager, see pitching calc  www.mrmalty.com for more info) and 3) temp control - you need to ferment in the high 50's, very low 60s. Also, as a little something extra, the ability to resist the temptation to 'much up" the recipe. 100% pils is you base recipe. A little munich or wheat can work but nothing else really is needed.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:34:07 am »
With today's malts single infusion is generally fine. I only ever single infuse mine at around 150-152. The 3 tricky parts are 1) getting the pH right on the mash (not a problem if you brew extract, but in that case go with 100% German pils extract 2) Pitching enough yeast - you need a pitch larger than a standard ale, but not quite as big as a lager, see pitching calc  www.mrmalty.com for more info) and 3) temp control - you need to ferment in the high 50's, very low 60s. Also, as a little something extra, the ability to resist the temptation to 'much up" the recipe. 100% pils is you base recipe. A little munich or wheat can work but nothing else really is needed.

I will echo what Keith has stated and also add that WLP029 or Wyeast 2565 are very good yeast strain choices. Plan to make a starter and ferment no higher than 60F. This beer also benefits by a lagering period of four weeks or so.
Ron Price

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:56:35 am »
Thanks for the replies!

I do have the temperature control needed and have started making starters. (Just ordered a stir plate)

I looked over some recipes I found on the internet and the most of the grain bills are similar to what Keith posted, Pils with some Munich or Vienna. The next question is what about the hop schedule? It looks like Saaz is the hop of choice, but there are conflicts on if there should be just a bittering addition, or bittering addition with a minimal flavor and aroma additions, or a more normal hop schedule.

Thanks again!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:05:22 am »
Saaz is not a very good choice IMO. Can;t go wrong with hallertauer mittelfruh. Also a combination of Hallertauer and Tettnanger. I really like some of the American Hallertauer lineage hops with a kolsch. One of the best kolsches I ever made was an all FWH made with crystal hops.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:09:59 am »
I try to stick with German Noble hops as this is the case witht the traditional recipes. They really make this beer come together and shine. A nice crisp finish is key to making this beer.
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 09:35:12 am »
Saaz is not a very good choice IMO. Can;t go wrong with hallertauer mittelfruh. Also a combination of Hallertauer and Tettnanger. I really like some of the American Hallertauer lineage hops with a kolsch. One of the best kolsches I ever made was an all FWH made with crystal hops.

How about Mt. Hood?  I've got a couple pounds I need to use up somehow.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:31 am »

IMO, Mt. Hood is a great sub for Hallertauer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 09:43:57 am »
I always use Spalt Select in my kolsch.  Isn't this the traditional kolsch hop?
Member #: 900000767

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:47:46 am »
I always use Spalt Select in my kolsch.  Isn't this the traditional kolsch hop?

I don't know if it's traditional, but it's a great choice.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 10:13:57 am »
Here's Sunday's recipe.  Didn't have any Munich, so pulled a decoction.  We'll see..........

Kolsch
Kolsch

Type: All Grain
 Date: 4/3/2011
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
 Brewer: Mike Tripka
Boil Size: 13.69 gal Asst Brewer: Pepper
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Brew Pot (15 Gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (10 Gal) 
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes: 

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
18.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 92.31 %
1.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
4.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.40 %] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
0.55 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc 
2 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) Yeast-Ale  1600ml starter

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.92 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.86 %
Bitterness: 23.4 IBU Calories: 217 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.6 SRM Color: Color 

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Decoction Mash, Single Total Grain Weight: 19.50 lb
Sparge Water: 16.83 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Decoction Mash, Single Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Saccharification Decoction Error: Must have some water in mash to Decoct it! 155.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F
Main mash @ 149dF

Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 10:59:54 am »

IMO, Mt. Hood is a great sub for Hallertauer.

I used Magnum and Mt Hood in mine. A little earthy and lightly spicy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis