Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Open fermenting a Saison  (Read 7874 times)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Open fermenting a Saison
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:23:42 pm »
I was thinking about using open fermentation with a Saison in June.  The main reason for using open fermentation is that it increases esters and phenols correct?  Can anyone think of any reason that open fermenting a Saison would be undesireable?
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Open fermenting a Saison
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:47:41 am »
As long as you are working in a clean area, there's no reason not to go for it.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:16 am »
I was thinking about using open fermentation with a Saison in June.  The main reason for using open fermentation is that it increases esters and phenols correct?  Can anyone think of any reason that open fermenting a Saison would be undesireable?
Why would you think that an open fermentation would promote esters and phenols?  I'm thinking it would only do two things, first there would be no head pressure from the activity which wouldn't make much difference on a homebrew scale and second it would make the wort more susceptible to contamination.
Or am I missing something?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 09:00:12 am »
He may be referencing a BrewingTV where they did a side by side of an ale (a wheat?  can't remember for sure) that was open fermented and one with a lid.  In their tasting notes, they seemed to believe that the open fermented one was more estery/phenolic.

I was slightly skeptical, but haven't tried side by side.

Offline jackson1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:02:39 am »
I recently brewed a Saison using Wyeast 3724 and my understanding was if you boost the fermenting temp that would boost the Esters and phenols.  I built a cardboard box, put a small electric heater in front of it and raised and held the temp at right around 85°F - 90°F.  I know this seems stupid high but the beer turned out excellent.  This was all done in a 6.5 Gal Carboy with a blowoff tube.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:06:36 am »
This is not 'stupid high' for saison yeast. They need the high temps to perform well.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:08:26 am »
What sort of attenuation did you get at that temp?

I have a very hard time getting this yeast to fully attenuate even when I raise the temp into the 70s.  I'm actually thinking about not using this yeast again, just cuz it was such a pain.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline jackson1

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:06:17 am »
Mine finished around 1.008 from what I remember (I don't have access to my notes at the moment).  The higher temp seemed to work out just fine.  I was very hesitant to run it at that temp (I usually ferment at around 65°F)  but I was very happy with the results.  We'll see what the judges think (I sent a bottle to the NHC).  I read that that yeast like to stop before it is complete but that certainly wasn't my experience.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 11:26:08 am »

I do it because it's easier. But, it's just laying the lid on the bucket during the attenuative phase. Once that is past I'll snap the lid down if not transferring immediately to some other vessel. With a carboy one could just cover the mouth and neck with a piece of foil.

As a caveat, you don't want to leave your fermenter "uncovered" generally. I ferment in chambers so the buckets are still protected from ambient air movement. Leaving one out with the lid off will almost certainly result in contamination.

I read years ago about pressure affecting the esters and whatnot. Doesn't seem to matter at the homebrew level, though had a saison's krausen drop immediately one time when I pressed hard on the lid of the fermenter. Despite that the beer was fine.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 12:14:17 pm »
The main reason for using open fermentation is that it increases esters and phenols correct?

Boy, not that I noticed the few times I tried it.  I'm hard pressed to think of a reason why it would.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 01:11:16 pm »
The main reason for using open fermentation is that it increases esters and phenols correct?

Boy, not that I noticed the few times I tried it.  I'm hard pressed to think of a reason why it would.
It could because of the reduced pressure and the extra O2 would allow more yeast growth, giving more byproducts.  It seems unlikely to be a noticeable effect though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 03:08:12 pm »
You can also manipulate the ester profile using fermenter geometry.  Fermenting in something shallow will give more esters.  Works for the Belgians...
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 03:11:18 pm »
It could because of the reduced pressure and the extra O2 would allow more yeast growth, giving more byproducts.  It seems unlikely to be a noticeable effect though.

Or, if you believe Clayton Cone, more yeast growth will give you less esters.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 03:11:45 pm »
You can also manipulate the ester profile using fermenter geometry.  Fermenting in something shallow will give more esters.  Works for the Belgians...

Gordon, any idea why it works like that? 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 03:14:18 pm »

Gordon, any idea why it works like that? 

Lower hydrostatic pressure is the typical explanation.

I listed to the Anchor interview on TBN from a few weeks back recently. It is sort of amazing that they ferment Steam in fermentors 12-18" deep. That is less deep than a carboy.