Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New cook book!  (Read 6000 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
New cook book!
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:05:49 am »
  Call me gay, but I have a secret man crush on Guy Fieri. He's got his first cook book coming out. Over 400 pages. Dude makes some pretty cool food. I'm excited. Makes a lot of great looking man food.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New cook book!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:11:57 am »
Only 400 pages? Man, Guy is slippin..
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:16:50 am »
I like Guy Fierri too.  Seems the least pretentious of the celeb chef crowd.
Member #: 900000767

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:35:55 pm »
I like his show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" on the Food Network. It's a collaboration of good ole' American Eats. He's a very respectable guy that does his job very well. I might have to check out his new book.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:51:27 pm »
When he was first on Next Food Network Star and Big Bite, I couldn't stand the guy's personality.  But somehow I got hooked and now I kinda like watching him.  I had the same kind of experience with Robert Irvine, especially when he was exposed as lying about his past.  Now I really enjoy watching him.  Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:51:59 pm »
  Call me gay

Not that there's anything wrong with that....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:38:27 pm »

Is this the same Guy Fierri that wears more gaudy jewelry than a surburban book club, dyes his hair platinum blond, and wears his sunglasses backwards? The bar for unpretentious in the celeb chef world must be pretty low.

Mike Symon seems pretty chill... Bourdain I can see being called an a-hole or something but not pretentious per se.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:43:38 pm »
i think pretentious is an attitude, not how you dress.

i like guy, robert irvine, lots of people from the cooking channel.  love tony bourdain.  also robert zimmermen is pretty fly.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 01:45:29 pm »

Is this the same Guy Fierri that wears more gaudy jewelry than a surburban book club, dyes his hair platinum blond, and wears his sunglasses backwards? The bar for unpretentious in the celeb chef world must be pretty low.

Mike Symon seems pretty chill... Bourdain I can see being called an a-hole or something but not pretentious per se.
well,looks wise, I guess you have a point.  I meant personality/attitude.  For comparison, I cannot stand Bobby Flay.

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 01:46:05 pm »
i think pretentious is an attitude, not how you dress.

i like guy, robert irvine, lots of people from the cooking channel.  love tony bourdain.  also robert zimmermen is pretty fly.
this

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 04:05:37 pm »
I get a kick out of some of Guy's shows but Irvine just comes across as an a$$.  Even my kids who used to be Food Network junkies, wouldn't watch Irvine.  You know the guy is not making good decisions when a 9 year old looks at you and says "he's an idiot, why would you buy unpeeled shrimp when you only have hours to prepare a meal for 200?". 

I admit it.  I think my kids are cool.  And I love to have the car guy drives on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »
i was recovering from a torn acl (thanks to my 6-6 son who was our high school varsity 215 pounder) and started watching all the cooking shows when i was laying on the couch.  really enjoyed some of guy's stuff more so than most of them.
Don AHA member

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:53:47 am »
My wife and i went on a DDD binge when we were in NOLA.  Parasol's, The Joint, Surrey Cafe, Joey K's, Creole Creamery, Mother's.  Cassamento's was closed for the winter.  I think the Food Network overplays DDD. They've made cooking a sport with all of the competition shows.  I was an avid FN and Cooking Network viewer, but I've had it with those and only watch a couple of shows on FN and CN now.
What are the thoughts about Guy on NBC's "In It to Win It?" 
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:27:00 am »
This goes back a little way but does anyone remember watching PBS cooking and home repair shows like Death by Chocolate and This Old House when they actually taught you stuff?  One of the reasons I don't watch the FN much anymore is they don't teach anymore.  Food is not a contact sport.

Are you really serious chef if you host a game show?  He probably makes good money at it and isn't too bad at it but it makes you wonder how much time he spends in a kitchen.  DDD proves he's good at eating.

I still miss Julia Childs going through a recipe and drinking more wine actually cooking.   :D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 10:31:32 am »
I like to watch a few shows on Food Network too. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is definitely on the top of the list. Always something to be learned....  Same for Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Chopped, Emeril, Iron Chef, etc..  Sort through the star glitter & glean what makes sense for your own cooking. Weird huh. Wife watches something else... I guess that's why I do the cooking...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!