Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New cook book!  (Read 6013 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: New cook book!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 10:42:39 am »
The Cooking Channel is pretty much all cooking shows, punctuated by the odd Foodography.

Jamie Oliver gets my kudos. I like his style and method.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 10:43:45 am »
Ditto Food Bros
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 12:26:10 pm »
  Call me gay, but I have a secret man crush on Guy Fieri. He's got his first cook book coming out. Over 400 pages. Dude makes some pretty cool food. I'm excited. Makes a lot of great looking man food.

not at all, I love guy too, but i love his old camaro more!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 04:11:15 pm »
This goes back a little way but does anyone remember watching PBS cooking and home repair shows like Death by Chocolate and This Old House when they actually taught you stuff?  One of the reasons I don't watch the FN much anymore is they don't teach anymore.  Food is not a contact sport.

I don't have cable so most of the shows I watch with cooking are PBS or "Create" shows.  Jacques Pepin and Steven Raichlen are two of the best teacher-cooks out there...Raichlen makes me laugh with his unintended double-entendres, but I do give him credit, he taught me a lot of tips, and Pepin's tip on how to quickly dice an onion will probably reduces hours upon hours of cooking time over my life.  I like New Scandinavian Cooking, but it is less about teaching, probably like a lot of FN shows.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 04:17:29 pm »
Oh, I know what you mean.  and he is just poured into those jeans, and that bleach blond hair, and the way he wears his sun glasses on the back of his head. Sexy. You can be behind him and its like you are looking into his hairy bleach blonde face.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 04:20:07 pm »
I like Guy Fierri too.  Seems the least pretentious of the celeb chef crowd.

Is this the same Guy Fierri that wears more gaudy jewelry than a surburban book club, dyes his hair platinum blond, and wears his sunglasses backwards? The bar for unpretentious in the celeb chef world must be pretty low.

It doesn't make him pretentious, just a douche bag.  Seriously, he's like 40 something and looks like a frat boy from 1995.  That said, I do occasionally watch DDD and actually enjoy it sometimes.  Of course, it doesn't matter what I think of him; he's laughing all the way to the bank.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 04:46:43 pm »

Is this the same Guy Fierri that wears more gaudy jewelry than a surburban book club, dyes his hair platinum blond, and wears his sunglasses backwards?.........

It doesn't make him pretentious, just a douche bag.  Seriously, he's like 40 something and looks like a frat boy from 1995.......

Wow, you guys are gonna be disappointed if you ever meet me...... :-[
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2011, 04:55:00 pm »
I owe it to Guy Fierri for teaching me how to deep fry hamburger patties.

Forever in his debt.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 05:48:10 pm »
I don't have cable so most of the shows I watch with cooking are PBS or "Create" shows.  Jacques Pepin and Steven Raichlen are two of the best teacher-cooks out there...Raichlen makes me laugh with his unintended double-entendres, but I do give him credit, he taught me a lot of tips, and Pepin's tip on how to quickly dice an onion will probably reduces hours upon hours of cooking time over my life.  I like New Scandinavian Cooking, but it is less about teaching, probably like a lot of FN shows.

Same here, no cable for the last 10 yrs. The shows you mention are great. ATK teaches. Simply Ming is pretty cool too. I miss Yan can cook...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 02:35:05 am »
I can't get enough of the cooking shows. My wife and I are addicted to the British Masterchef series, though they change it up every time and some changes are a bit hit or miss (like this season, which is a bit too Top Chef-like for my tastes). The Brits are capable of making a cooking competition show without being nasty or injecting unnecessary drama.

What I miss most from the USA is Lydia's Family Table. I learned a lot from Lydia.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 05:50:00 am »
We can see some of the British shows on BBC America, but they don't have much selection.  They did have some of the Masterchef shows a few years ago, but I don't know that it's been on recently.  They did show several seasons of Last Restaurant Standing (The Restaurant in the UK), which was pretty good.  Plus a seemingly endless stream of various Gordon Ramsay shows.

The Masterchef they did in the US last year seemed overly dramatic, but they did that with the US versions of Gordon Ramsay's shows too.  Top Chef seems to have the best chefs actually making real dishes.

I've started watching Avec Eric on PBS recently.  Eric Ripert definitely knows how to cook.  Just watching his movements in the kitchen is inspiring.  Very proper technique.  No wasted movements.  Everything he makes looks spot on.  And he uses MAC knives...
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 06:08:23 am »

Is this the same Guy Fierri that wears more gaudy jewelry than a surburban book club, dyes his hair platinum blond, and wears his sunglasses backwards?.........

It doesn't make him pretentious, just a douche bag.  Seriously, he's like 40 something and looks like a frat boy from 1995.......

Wow, you guys are gonna be disappointed if you ever meet me...... :-[

Definitely not, Weaze. I'd just feel like an ass for being so judgmental.  :-[
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 08:14:26 am »
Still to date my favorite food related TV host is Justin Wilson (RIP).   I just loved watching that guy. Great Cajun food and great entertainment, bar none "I gar-on-tee!".  Here are some of his many videos on youtube. Enjoy!! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22justin+wilson%22&aq=f  Cheers!!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:19:29 am by hamiltont »
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 08:40:16 am »
Still to date my favorite food related TV host is Justin Wilson (RIP).   I just loved watching that guy. Great Cajun food and great entertainment, bar none "I gar-on-tee!".  Here are some of his many videos on youtube. Enjoy!! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22justin+wilson%22&aq=f  Cheers!!!

A little more wine...a little more wine!  ;D  Good stuff.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 08:43:55 am »

A little more wine...a little more wine!  ;D  Good stuff.
And a little more wine for the cook....
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!