Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stability ???  (Read 1753 times)

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
Stability ???
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:58:14 pm »
Ok I'm slightly confused... When I read about various grains like Carapils or crystal malts they say it helps with head retention and stability. Just exactly what are they  talking about when it comes to stability??? Are they talking about the head or the general taste and body of the brew??? I have made quite a few brews without any crystal malts of any sort and I haven't noticed a problem with the head or a variation between bottles as far as taste goes.
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Stability ???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:03:42 pm »
Generally, they're talking about stability of the head.  That is, how long the head hangs around.  That said, as long as you've got good processes, you can get fine head retention and stability without things like CaraPils.
Joe

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:16:55 pm »
Thats what I was thinking.... No real need for it as long as you mash things properly.
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:56:54 am »
Thats what I was thinking.... No real need for it as long as you mash things properly.

It's also greatly influenced by pitching rate and fermentation practices.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:03:20 am »

It's also greatly influenced by pitching rate and fermentation practices.

http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/35-head-retention/697-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

+1

I want to restate the fact that hopping rates also aid in head retention.
Ron Price