Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Acceptable substitutes  (Read 9298 times)

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
Acceptable substitutes
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:59:43 pm »
Another question! A recipe I've found calls for Simpson's Caramalt. My LHBS has every one of the exact ingredients called for in this recipe except for that one. I've found it online but would like to avoid a $9 shipping charge for just this ingredient. Is there an acceptable substitute for the this? Thanks again for all the help!
I'm now an official AHA member!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Acceptable substitutes
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 02:07:04 pm »
It's a 30-37L crystal, so any English crystal near there will be a fine substitute.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:30:41 pm »
While I have your ear, if a recipe calls for LME is it okay to use DME instead? And in case that wasn't a stupid question, what would the difference in volume be? I.E. 3.3 lbs of LME = ???lbs of DME.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 03:43:06 pm »
While I have your ear, if a recipe calls for LME is it okay to use DME instead? And in case that wasn't a stupid question, what would the difference in volume be? I.E. 3.3 lbs of LME = ???lbs of DME.

3.3 lbs of LME = 2.64 lbs of DME.  Just multiply by 0.8  (multiply by 1.25 to convert the other way)
Joe

Offline quest4watneys

• Assistant Brewer
  • Indianapolis, IN
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 03:54:52 pm »
Outstanding! Are there any arguments for one being better than the other? LME vs. DME

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 04:11:26 pm »
Outstanding! Are there any arguments for one being better than the other? LME vs. DME

I prefer DME if I suspect that LME is not fresh.  So depends upon turnover in your LHBS.  I mostly use DME as is easier to portion out, reseal and store; and less worried about how long it sat on shelf. 

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:44:28 pm »
Another question! A recipe I've found calls for Simpson's Caramalt. My LHBS has every one of the exact ingredients called for in this recipe except for that one. I've found it online but would like to avoid a $9 shipping charge for just this ingredient. Is there an acceptable substitute for the this? Thanks again for all the help!
Weyermann Caraamber is close to Carastan, Caramalt.  Or you could use just a little less Crystal 40.  Carastan (Caramalt) has a toffee character that is unique. I keep a few lbs on hand all the time.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »
I'm in a similar quandary to that of the OP.  I plan to pick up 5 lbs of Simpsons Caramalt next time I'm at Northern Brewer, but I'd like to brew an American IPA that calls for 12 oz of it on Friday after work.  I might be able to obtain some from a local brewery, but if that falls through I'm looking for options.

This is my recipe for Friday:
OG is 1.065

Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
10 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        77.03 %       
1 lbs 8.0 oz  Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                     Grain        11.27 %       
12.5 oz       White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)                Grain        5.86 %       
12.4 oz       Simspons Caramalt 30-37 (37.0 SRM)          Grain        5.84 %       

Do you think it would get me in the ball park if I sub some marris otter, like a pound, for the standard 2 row and regular crystal 30 for the Cara-malt?  I want to add some malt complexity to the beer.
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 03:30:34 pm »

I prefer DME, but I've used both.

I've seen more varieties of LME (German, Belgian, etc.) than I have of DME (mostly, light, amber, dark) so depending on what you're brewing you might prefer LME.

My standard MO is to use the lightest possible DME and adjust to style with a partial mash and specialty grains.

All else being equal, I believe that LME will typically result in a darker beer than DME.  Depending on style that may not matter.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton