Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Carbonating in a keg  (Read 4772 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Carbonating in a keg
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 12:08:20 pm »
I really wish some one could give a definitive answer on
how much priming sugar to use when kegging.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hasn't anyone ever brewed a ten gallon batch stuck it two kegs and primed with
varying amounts, and determined the right amount???  ???

Even if someone did do that, that would be what works for them with their setup and that style of beer.  There just isn't a definitive answer, anyone who claims to give you one is lying.  They're giving you starting points, you can tweak later to get the level of carbonation you want.

Yea that's kind of what I figured.

The most telling was putting pressure on one to seal the lid and the other none. The keg that didn't get any extra pressure was satisfactorily carbonated but was obviously much less so than the other keg.

My opinion is prime as you would bottles and leave it at that. If it is too much/not enough for the brewer's tastes scale back or increase accordingly next time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline newrocset

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 07:43:27 pm »
BYO has a nice article about kegging.

The author states that when using priming sugar he sawed 2 inches off the bottom of his dip tube....sounds like a good idea to keep the sediment down.

I'm new to kegging and haven't tried natural carbonation, but I know a couple people who have had great success at it.

As far as amt. of sugar to use, I always 5 oz. for 4 or more gallons of well attenuated beer and my bottles have always had more than adequate carbonation and never too much (just make sure you have good attenuation or you'll have problems).

As stated above, you can always pull the relief valve if you have to much carbonation, so you could probably get away with slight over-priming to ensure your beer is adequately carbonated.
Have a Kolsch and a smile!

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 06:25:45 pm »
There's a bazillion ways to do this. Try what sounds reasonable from the opinions above, and adjust as necessary. It's called empirical research. No matter what, you can drink it and it will be good.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Pi

• Brewer
  • "I would never trade tomorrow for today"
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 07:02:50 am »
I used Gelatin to clear a keg of Boh Pilsner. If i force carbonate and want to shake the keg will this defeat the gelatin fining, or should i just pressurixe the keg and let it sit for 1-2 weeks?
Primary:On Reflection APA
Lagering: Vienna
Drinking: Whenever I'm not working or driving