Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/8 Edition  (Read 8824 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/8 Edition
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:53:01 pm »
Planting Hops:
Cascade
Columbus (Zeus)
Mt. Hood
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 02:55:15 pm »
Ballpark Pils (CAP).  Made a big starter today.  This will be batch number 100!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:14:11 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline pfooti

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 03:56:01 pm »
Putting together the Blichmann TopTier that is supposed to arrive later this week. Saturday is assembly and plumbing and testing. Sunday is my first batch on the new system; american IPA (simcoe/amarillo), it's the recipe I'm most familiar with from my old system, and therefore the one I feel most comfortable with making changes to on the fly based on efficiency and such.

About time, too. I bottled my last batch on Sunday, and now have nothing but empty fermentors.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 05:53:12 pm »
Ballpark Pils (CAP).  Made a big starter today.  This will be batch number 100!! ;D
Congratulations! And way to buck tradition by doing a not huge beer. I did an RIS for #100 and ended up with a half gallon of my first runnings on the floor because I forgot to close a tap  :'( So much for experience bringing wisdom.

Tomorrow I'm brewing a small batch of a Belgian Pale to try out Calypso hops I bought on a whim from Hops Direct. They describe them as having apple and pear aromas but the first reports I've seen, people are saying citrusy. And since it's supposed to rain, I decided to do an SN Celebration type IPA, too. I love having bulk ingredients on hand.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 09:54:02 am »
No brewing for me this weekend.  I need to buy another sack of grain before I can do any brewing again, unless I want to pick up some extract.  Hmmmmm, I haven't done an extract beer for quite some time, this could be an opportunity to do it again, for kicks.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 10:21:07 am »
Probably something with US05.  I've got tons of grain (literally!) and 30 lb. of hops, but I haven't had time to make a starter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 11:28:56 am »

Tomorrow I'm brewing a small batch of a Belgian Pale to try out Calypso hops I bought on a whim from Hops Direct. They describe them as having apple and pear aromas but the first reports I've seen, people are saying citrusy.

Cool!  I bought them as well on a whim.  Sound somewhat similar to Citra, plus you can't beat $8.95/lb.  Let us know how the beer turns out.  Curious to hear if the beer experience matches Hopdirects description.

I am brewing up 20 gallons of a Black Rye IPA, inspired by Stone Sublimely Self Righteous, with my brewing buddy.  

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 03:28:58 pm »
I am brewing a tripel right now....sparging as I type this.  Using a malt made here in Montana....funny thing, it comes in sacks labeled "Malteurop"  :D  Sure smells malty.

I am also using a slurry of the BrewTek CL300 yeast.  First time I've used this yeast.  A month or so ago, I was cleaning out my dorm fridge in the basement, and I found a slant of this yeast......5 years old.  One of the guys in my club took and, and after 4 days on the stir plate it started.  He brewed a saison with it, and gave me the slurry from that Sunday night.

I'm looking forward to this.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 03:54:19 pm »

Tomorrow I'm brewing a small batch of a Belgian Pale to try out Calypso hops I bought on a whim from Hops Direct. They describe them as having apple and pear aromas but the first reports I've seen, people are saying citrusy.

Cool!  I bought them as well on a whim.  Sound somewhat similar to Citra, plus you can't beat $8.95/lb.  Let us know how the beer turns out.  Curious to hear if the beer experience matches Hopdirects description.

I am brewing up 20 gallons of a Black Rye IPA, inspired by Stone Sublimely Self Righteous, with my brewing buddy.  
I didn't open the hops until today. I got a big blast of fresh pear when I sniffed the bag so I added a flameout addition to try to pick up on that. I may dry hop, too. I'm really curious how this will turn out and will post about my results.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 04:07:54 pm »
After slightly over 6 years of homebrewing, I'm finally getting around to doing something I've been putting off forever - brewing my first lager.

Oktoberfest....

Got my starter going last night.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 05:03:50 pm »
After slightly over 6 years of homebrewing, I'm finally getting around to doing something I've been putting off forever - brewing my first lager.

Oktoberfest....

Nice.  I'll be brewing a lager at some point this year too - it will also be my first lager.  I may only make it a 5 gal batch though - don't want to take up too much fridge space w/ 2 carboys.  ;) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »

Oktoberfest....

I finally got around to building a fermentation chamber last fall and so I've been getting into lager brewing too.  Lager brewing can be just as much an obsession as homebrewing in general!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline guitarbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 08:28:23 pm »
Sasparilla Nettle Mead@!  Ha.  I've been reading Sacred and Herbal Healing beers.  Made a Heather mead that was amazing, so we will see how this one turns out.

Keg is full of american honey wheat and the cellar is stocked, so I can experiment a little.  Also have ingredients for a coffee stout.  Sky is the limit.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 06:02:39 am »
ESB on Friday morning. I just put the starter in the fridge to cold crash.
Changing gears... I'm using the starter to make an oatmeal stout instead. Strike water is heating as I type...
Mark Gres

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 06:15:06 am »
Oops.  Did I usurp your usual role?  ;) 

Yes and for that, 40 lashes with a wet noodle!

The first batch for this weekend is down!

Falcon's Gyre Rye IPA
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison