Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/8 Edition  (Read 8822 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/8 Edition
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »
Oh, and I'll be putting my burner/kettle to an alternate use Saturday keeping the Scouts fundraiser spaghetti dinner supplied with boiling water.  Might brew a wheat/amarillo/gumbally wheat on Sunday, though.  Haven't decided the recipe details yet.

Funny...  as we say here, "Same - same, only different."

We sell chicken hekka as a Scouting fundraiser.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2011, 07:00:08 pm »
i'll be inaugerating my newly modified system with a toasted english amber ale. 

it'll be my 37th brew since i've started brewing just over a year (13 months).  wow, busy year :o

cheers!

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 10:25:22 am »
Rye APA using WLP007.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2011, 07:54:00 am »
I made my Chamomile Ale yesterday.  Overall the brew session went pretty well/I hit most of my targets, but I did learn a few things about my system:

-I only accounted for 1.20 qts of water per pound of grain.   I came up slightly short in wort collection for the boil, so I need to increase that to 1.25 and/or increase the amount of sparge water.  I also think I'm losing a bit more in my mash tun than I account for (False bottom space loss). 

-My boil kettle is 14 Gallons (not 15).  That makes a 12.5Gal - 12.8Gal boil volume dangerously close to the top of my boil kettle - I have to watch the hot break like a hawk (and some times kill the heat completely to avoid a boil over - though I haven't had one yet!).  Due to this, I think I've always come up just a bit short on 10-gallon batches - due to not wanting the boil kettle over-full (so, by the time the boil is over, I have a little less than 10-gallons).  

I also realized that I'll never get through the amount of beer I'm planning to brew (gotta start giving more away!), and that I'd like a bigger variety of beers available at once in my homebrew fridge.  

So.... starting with my next batch, I'm going to start making 5 gallon batches again for a while (on my 10-gallon, all-grain system).  I'm sure I'll still do the occasional 10-gallon batch, but I think I'm going to concentrate on 5-gallon batches again for a while.  It'll let me brew more too.  :)  

So my next batch (next weekend, I think), will be 5-gallons of Imperial IPA.  
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:55:48 am by Beer Monger »
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline brontotex

• Cellarman
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 09:49:00 am »
I took my system down to the ABQ Beer week event Saturday at La Cumbre Brewing and brewed an India Red Ale.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2011, 10:17:38 am »
20 minutes left in mash for Citra Pale Ale  :)
Wow, you start early.  Day off, huh?  Nice.  :) 

Yeah...I usually start my brewday at 8am or so.  I usually have my grains crushed and water ready the night before. 

Got cut back in hours at work so I get every other Friday off, but the silver lining is I get to brew every other Friday :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2011, 10:24:03 am »
20 minutes left in mash for Citra Pale Ale  :)
Wow, you start early.  Day off, huh?  Nice.  :)  

Yeah...I usually start my brewday at 8am or so.  I usually have my grains crushed and water ready the night before.  

Got cut back in hours at work so I get every other Friday off, but the silver lining is I get to brew every other Friday :)

I wish I could prepare the water the day/night before, but I can't setup my brew system w/o my garage door open.  The top tier of my 3 tier system is OK by itself, but w/ the hot liquor tank in place, my garage door would hit it if I let it open all the way - I have to stop the door about 2 feet before it's all the way up.  

I suppose I could do it -but I'll have to wait until we're really into Summer 'cause doing that means I have to leave my wife's Mercedes parked outside overnight (we usually garage it).  It won't save me a whole lot of time anyway - maybe 15 minutes. 

But yeah, I should be starting earlier on weekends. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2011, 01:51:26 pm »
I checked my log and found that yesterday's CAP was batch #301.  That's pretty consistent at once, sometimes twice a month over 21 years.  I need to find time to brew more often!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »
Some exciting golf in Augusta today.  Guys with funny accents take the top 3 spots.
A third Champion from South Africa, Charl Schwartzel - 50 years to the day after Gary Player did it.  Too cool!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2011, 10:49:31 am »
Brewed a pretty generic pale ale yesterday with some LME, Crystal 60, Munich, Magnum and Cascade.  Fermenting away with White Labs American Ale Blend.  I was using up the ingredients i had left as this will be my last batch in my current apartment.  My Fiance and I are moving the end of may and need to start packing stuff.  My fiance did ask me when I could start brewing again in our new place because she wants to have a housewarming party :-)
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2011, 11:56:01 am »
Some exciting golf in Augusta today.  Guys with funny accents take the top 3 spots.
A third Champion from South Africa, Charl Schwartzel - 50 years to the day after Gary Player did it.  Too cool!

Last time I saw someone choke like that, the Heimlich maneuver had to be applied.

But what a finish to close it out.  And cheers to the Aussies too; classy interviews.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong