Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: have you had a chemay?  (Read 10744 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: have you had a chemay?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 03:44:17 pm »
I kinda think of 1388 as "Belgian 1056".  Some of what you think of as Belgian character, but a fairly neutral yeast overall.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 05:54:32 pm »
The 3522.  Its tartness and phenolics really complement Am. hops.  I've got one in the fermenter right now that used Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, and Falconer's Flight.

What's your take on the FF hops?

Have you tried them before?
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »
Recently did a Dubbel with Wyeast 1214.  Made a bigger than normal starter and pitched around 60F.  Limited the wort temp to 62F for the first week.  Don't take gravity measurements daily but the very vigorous fermentation went on for 3-4 days.  By the end of the week, the krausen had fallen.  Let the temp do what it wanted after that but it never really got very high. 

I'll have to check the OG and FG when I get home but, IIRC, it came out at about 7.5%abv

Ok, just for the record.  OG was 1.068 and FG was 1.010
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:17 am »

I have 2 beers I've used them in so far...dry hopped an AIPA and made a Belg./Am. IPA with them as FWH and again as dry hops.  I haven't tried either of those beers yet, but a lot of people in the club have been using them so I've tried a lot of beers with them.  To me, they;re the perfect blend of Am. hops for Am. style hoppy beers.  I find that straight Citra is just too tropical fruity for me, but blended in with all the other hops it works really well.  Glen Falconer (the guy the hops are named for) was a member of our club and one of the guys who taught me how to judge.  These hops are a fitting tribute to his memory.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 10:52:09 am »

I have 2 beers I've used them in so far...dry hopped an AIPA and made a Belg./Am. IPA with them as FWH and again as dry hops.  I haven't tried either of those beers yet, but a lot of people in the club have been using them so I've tried a lot of beers with them.  To me, they;re the perfect blend of Am. hops for Am. style hoppy beers.  I find that straight Citra is just too tropical fruity for me, but blended in with all the other hops it works really well.  Glen Falconer (the guy the hops are named for) was a member of our club and one of the guys who taught me how to judge.  These hops are a fitting tribute to his memory.

Thanks...I'll have to give them a try. I'll check availability.
Ron Price