Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Tun Size / Thick Mash  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
Mash Tun Size / Thick Mash
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:49:22 am »
I'm working on a recipe for an imperial IPA, and I've hit one small problem.  If I allow for 1.12 quarts of water per pound of grain for the mash, I'll have a mash volume that's about 1 1/2 gallons larger than my 10-gallon mash tun (I still use a 10-gallon drink cooler as my tun). 

What problems might arise if I decide to mash with a total volume of only 10 gallons (.94 quarts of water per pound of grain) and just increase the sparge water to compensate? 

Alternatively, has anyone ever experimented with having to do 2 mashes in order to fill the boil kettle?  In other words, what if I split my mash into 2 mashes - each with 1/2 the grain/water?  Are there any problems with leaving 1/2 the wort in the boil kettle while I mash the other 1/2 of my grains? 

Finally, what type of vessel do you all use for your mash tun when making higher-gravity beers?  Perhaps I need to look into a new/bigger mash tun. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash Tun Size / Thick Mash
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:50 am »
I do 10 gal. batches of high gravity beers in a 152 qt. cooler.  This is 68 lb. of grain at 1.5 qt./lb.  Note the guy stirring with a lacrosse stick!

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 10:20:17 am »
You can just supplement this batch with a few pounds of DME if you're not ready to buy a new mash tun (how often do you think you'll need a larger capacity?).  I would probably take the DME route over mashing really thick or doing two mashes.  On the other hand, you can get a blue 70 qt Coleman Extreme for cheap on Amazon . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:32:40 am »
You can just supplement this batch with a few pounds of DME if you're not ready to buy a new mash tun (how often do you think you'll need a larger capacity?).  I would probably take the DME route over mashing really thick or doing two mashes.  On the other hand, you can get a blue 70 qt Coleman Extreme for cheap on Amazon . . .

Yeah, I guess I'd better substitute some DME.  That cooler won't really fit into my current setup.  I think when I design my next system I'd better make it capable of 20-25 gallon batches.  ;) 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:41:09 am »
Here's the adjusted grain bill, using some DME:

22.5lbs American 2-Row Pale Malt
1.5llbs Cyrstal 30L (30 SRM)
1.lb Crystal 10L (10 SRM)
1lb Cara-Munich Malt (56 SRM)
4lbs Extra Light DME (3 SRM)

For a 10-gallon batch, that gives me an estimated OG of 1.088 (@ 75% efficienty - estimated).  My mash tun should still be pretty full, but this should take care of my mash tun size issue.  Thanks for the suggestion - I haven't used extract in so long, I'd almost forgotten about it!  lol   :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:03:50 am by Beer Monger »
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:31:39 pm »
Note the guy stirring with a lacrosse stick!

Are lacrosse sticks made with jute?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:46 pm »

I have no idea.  I just know that he told me he couldn't ever play lacrosse with it again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:37:58 pm »

I have no idea.  I just know that he told me he couldn't ever play lacrosse with it again.
Hopefully he didn't play much w/ it before sticking it into your mash either!   (Slight blood & mud flavor?  ;)   lol ) 
Beer Monger's Blog