Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Living on beer for Lent  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
Re: Living on beer for Lent
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 01:50:25 pm »
Ever since I started drinking beer (again) and brewing, I have, well, added some gravity to my foot print. There is a number, 190#, (6'tall) that I will NOT go over. Whenever I get close I start skipping meals......

Most beer software will give you calories.... I may have to start paying attention.
I never set a limit.  Now I'm going to be starting an exercise program in May.  lol
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 03:13:08 pm »
6.7%?  I thought historical lenten beers were lower in alcohol (not necessarily lower in gravity). :-\

And 1152 calories a day is not enough for an adult, he should be having 5 or 6 pints a day.  But lower alcohol.

That's exactly what I was thinking; I would want some of that residual gravity/sugars rather than alc.  I think he's in for a serious "religious experience."  I can't imagine the light headedness I would get from multiple 6.7% brews on an empty stomach day after day.  

As far as 1152 for an adult – I think the UN recommends 2100 a day even for extremely poor countries. I know that in reality our (US) average caloric intake (3300 +/-) is probably close to triple the non-developed country average.

<edit> ok i took the time to read the whole thing.  obviously i had forgotten when lent starts/ends.  very interesting read
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:42:34 am by jaybeerman »

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »
I think he's in for a serious "religious experience."
If he overdoes it he might find himself praying to the porcelain god. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 07:42:53 pm »
Ever see the Glutton for Punishment episode on Food Network where he tries the Guinness Diet?  He barely lasted 5 days and day 4 & 5 were hell - migraines and  weakness from the time he woke up.  Granted that was Guinness not a Dopplebock, but this guy is doing 46 days, not 5.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 08:26:26 pm »
I'd be open to the possibility of this working with, say, milds and bitters with alcohol contents in the 3s and 4s and plenty of residual carbs.  And if I was doing it I'd definitely have to take off of work.  Is this guy a stay-at-home husband or something?  I can't imagine drinking a fairly stoutish beer early in the morning, but a nigh 7 percent beer, especially not! I certainly wouldn't be getting in car to drive to work.

As an early student of the sitar, I suppose if I'm to do a "chilla katna" session I can fast with a keg of good beer!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilla_katna

Something tells me I'm not that devoted though...