Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg reconditioning  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
Keg reconditioning
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:26:30 am »
A friend gave me a corny that needs reconditioning.  Obviously, I will replace all of the o rings with a kit.  Is it necessary to replace the poppet valves?  Or does anyone know where to find the orings that seal the poppets? any other thoughts?
Member #: 900000767

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Keg reconditioning
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:31:02 am »
A friend gave me a corny that needs reconditioning.  Obviously, I will replace all of the o rings with a kit.  Is it necessary to replace the poppet valves?  Or does anyone know where to find the orings that seal the poppets? any other thoughts?

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Homebrew+Kegs%3AParts+for+Kegs
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:35:05 am »
If you're just looking for the o-rings, you can buy in bulk from McMaster-Carr

* Dip Tube O-rings $1.96/100 - 9452K172
* Dip Tube O-rings Quad Sealing $4.46/100 - 90025K368 (I prefer these as they require significantly less force to get a good seal)
* Post O-rings Buna-N $2.15/100 - 9452K23 (I use these for liquid)
* Post O-rings Silicone $10.71/100 - 9396K24 (I use these for gas)
* Lid O-rings Buna-N $12.69/10 - 9452K218
* Lid O-rings Silicone $7.88/5 - 9396K926
* Internal Quick Disconnect O-rings Silicone $6.11/100 - 9396K18

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:40:21 am »
Thanks Euge and Darkside.  I knew about both of the suppliers, just wondering about the poppets.  I guess from the five places I checked (2 with your help)  ;) the poppets need to be replaced since their o rings don't seem to be available. Cheap insurance, I guess.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 11:45:25 am »
Bret, take a close look at the posts. If the seat where the poppit seals against the interior of the post is worn- e.g. "scalloped" then you'll need to replace the post and the poppit.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 11:49:56 am »
I don't know that I've seen just the tiny o-rings on the poppets; I just usually replace the whole thing.  You should have some of these on hand anyway if you keg.  If you develop a leak, you don't want to be ordering supplies.  You want to be able to fix it from your stock.  I keep some of those around along with the pressure relief valves for the top.  Save one batch of beer from going off and you more than paid for your supplies.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:53:31 am »
Bret, take a close look at the posts. If the seat where the poppit seals against the interior of the post is worn- e.g. "scalloped" then you'll need to replace the post and the poppit.
Will do, that's good advice.  I bought the rest of my kegs already reconditioned, so this is new for me.  As a handyman by trade, I am not afraid of projects.  This one sat in the woods for (?) after a bar went to bladder bags, so I have no way of knowing how old it is.  It did have pressure and about an inch of diet soda in it.  The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward replacing everything.
I do have spares for my pin locks, Gordon, but this one is a ball.  This "free" keg is getting expensive ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:56:14 am by Bret »

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:25:29 pm »
I don't know that I've seen just the tiny o-rings on the poppets; I just usually replace the whole thing.  You should have some of these on hand anyway if you keg.  If you develop a leak, you don't want to be ordering supplies.  You want to be able to fix it from your stock.  I keep some of those around along with the pressure relief valves for the top.  Save one batch of beer from going off and you more than paid for your supplies.

++1 on that!
Last weekend we had a batch ready to keg and I had just picked up a couple of new Cornies that were holding pressure from the HBS test. Well, post cleaning/sanitizing the one I wanted to use wouldn't seal on the outpost and I had to frankenstein parts from the other keg to get it to work. Tragedy narrowly averted. Needless to say this week one Corny is going back to the shop and Pinski is coming home with at least a couple of each spare parts for future repairs and maintenance.  I had extra gaskets, but like you I had a cracked and broken poppet gasket and the threads of the out-post were fouled so I would not seat fully.  Pain in the ass but good practice I suppose.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 12:29:17 pm »
I think a lot of people don't realize they're skating by on the keg maintenance until something crashes and burns and they don't have the goods to deal with it.  It's a cautionary tale. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »
another cautionary tale..... keep in mind that there are many varieties/manufacturers of kegs and many parts are not interchangeable. this is especially true of poppets. so don't stock up too much until you confirm that all your kegs are the same (unlikely).
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 12:44:39 pm »
another cautionary tale..... keep in mind that there are many varieties/manufacturers of kegs and many parts are not interchangeable. this is especially true of poppets. so don't stock up too much until you confirm that all your kegs are the same (unlikely).

Damn good point!  (I think that's better than a "+1")

And when you have everything torn apart, it's a good time to check your threads and other bits and pieces for gunk.  Soak in PBW, scrub with little wire brushes, etc. to clean them up.  Sometimes you have more than one problem (worn poppet, plus the gunk still stuck to the posts that caused the wear).

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:45:15 pm »
Darkside - Why the silicone o-ring on the gas side?  Is it simply to distinguish by color?  Or do you feel there's a performance difference?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 12:49:23 pm »

Damn good point!  (I think that's better than a "+1")

And when you have everything torn apart, it's a good time to check your threads and other bits and pieces for gunk.  Soak in PBW, scrub with little wire brushes, etc. to clean them up.  Sometimes you have more than one problem (worn poppet, plus the gunk still stuck to the posts that caused the wear).
Just wanted to add one more point.  Be sure to clean the inside of the dip tubes, especially the liquid/out tube. A dip tube brush does wonders.. Keg lube has saved my tail a time or two also.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »
You acquire a set of specialized tools and such for dealing with kegs.  Just like building your tool set when you buy a house.  Always good to have around.  The dip tube brush is a good call.  I have a couple different sockets that fit on a socket driver to remove the posts.  They look sort of like spark plug sockets.  Got tired of mashing my fingers every so often with a bigass crescent wrench.  Box wrenches work too, usually.  Depends on the kegs.  There are so many different styles.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 01:00:08 pm »
and the reason that I now take kegs apart one at a time so the parts don't get mixed up.
Brew on