Author Topic: I'm confused  (Read 3967 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
Re: I'm confused
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
What sort of effect would it have?

Oxidized beer (what you'd get if you didn't purge the O2) can taste cardboardy, kind of flat (flavor, not carbonation), maybe a bit like sherry, or have weird caramel flavors to it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
What sort of effect would it have?

Oxidation from poor handling can lend a wet cardboard or staleness in the malt profile. Sometimes it can also be a sherry like flavor. This can be mitigated by purging the keg of O2 with CO2 prior to kegging.

I didn't see you mention whether you made a starter or did you use dry yeast. Also for future reference, I recommend pitching a few degrees lower than 68F for most ales.
Ron Price

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »
Now that is an interesting thought, although, the first few pours of it in the keg I thought were bloody amazing. It's only after it sat for about a week, at 11 psi @34F that I noticed this harsh flavour. I de-carbed it and some of the original flavour came back.

what carb vol. should a Tripel have at 34F
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2011, 03:35:07 PM »
I didn't see you mention whether you made a starter or did you use dry yeast. Also for future reference, I recommend pitching a few degrees lower than 68F for most ales.

I Used a Wyeast smack pack and dry yeast

I actually had a discussion about this before pitching which is here:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6319.0;topicseen

I'll take the advice about under 68 into consideration next time.
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
Having reread the discussion about on the other thread, I'm beginning to wonder if the yeast (ab)use didn't have something to do with this. Although, the last time I made a Tripel and kegged it I only used dry yeast, and it ended up tasting the same.

I'm almost sure it has something to do with the CO2. Although I am wondering about the first pour, I'm taking small samples every few days to see if there are any changes.

Also, when you guys carb a corney. Do you connect to the serve connector to cause the bubbles to move up thru the beer, or not. I haven't done this, but I've been reading about it being the preference at various places on the internet.
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 06:20:06 AM »
Also, when you guys carb a corney. Do you connect to the serve connector to cause the bubbles to move up thru the beer, or not. I haven't done this, but I've been reading about it being the preference at various places on the internet.
[/quote]

You can do that, I don't.  Connecting to the gas and gently shaking will give you the same effect and you don't have to worry about changing your disconnects.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 06:30:53 AM »
Curious as to what dry yeast you would use on a Tripel...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 08:04:37 AM »

I've done it both ways and it makes absolutely no difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »

I force carbonate from the top but it shouldn't make any difference where you force in the CO2 other than some agitation of the liquid when forcing directly into the liquid.

CO2 is CO2 no matter how you slice it.  :)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 11:19:53 AM »

I've done it both ways and it makes absolutely no noticeable difference.
Fixed it ;)  Physics says it will make a slight difference.  You could also sub in the word practical, appreciable, significant, real, or run it through a thesaurus if you're bored. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 01:03:39 PM »
Curious as to what dry yeast you would use on a Tripel...

Ahem, the thing you've got to realise is that this is a Brewer's Best kit, if you were to run through the discussion I had on the yeast thread, you'd realise (just as I did, and much to my chagrin) that there are  *things* in those kits that don't make much sense.

That being said, the yeast was called Nottingham yeast. I ended up throwing a Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast (recommended by some chart that the local brew store owner used to figure which smack pack to use and the dry Nottingham yeast together into the wort.

Didnt turn out too bad until this crap happened.

Which brings me to the real reason I'm posting.

Spoke to the local brew store owner, (drove an hour to go see this guy), and he said that he had a dude had the same thing, turned out to be the dip tube in the keg had some bacterial issues, he said that after the guy poured 3 glasses, the nasty taste went away, only to return once he let it sit for a few days.

Now, in my defence, I PBW'd the keg, closed it and connected it to the co2, ran some PBW up thru the diptube and into the line, let it sit for a day or two, then flushed it out with starsan and let it sit for an hour or so.

So I'm about to strip a dip tube out of another keg I have once I've recleaned and sanitzed it, and swap it out with the one in the keg I have the Tripel in.

But before I do this, I wanted to check in with you  guys to find out if there's a better way to do this,or anything I should watch out for?
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »
I would just vent the keg, remove the diptube, clean it really well, then put it back in.  And drink the keg quickly, if it really is a contamination issue it's only going to get worse over time.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2011, 07:23:22 AM »
If you dip tubes are really that bad, you may want to try running a dip tube brush through it also.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline whitey

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:29 AM »
Follow up.

I didnt have the hardware to remove the diptube. So, I cleaned the crap out of another keg, and did a beer transfusion. Happy to say that the original taste returned and all is well in the universe.

Thanx to all for the advice
Kegged:
Oatmeal Stout
Doppelbock
ESB
Vienna Lager
Belgian Wheat
Heffeweizen

Bottled:

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 08:29:07 AM »
Follow up.

I didnt have the hardware to remove the diptube. So, I cleaned the crap out of another keg, and did a beer transfusion. Happy to say that the original taste returned and all is well in the universe.

Thanx to all for the advice

Now I'm confused... It only takes a wrench or socket to do the job, an essential tool when kegging. How was the transfusion done? If it was pushed it out through a suspected funky diptube(and in through a suspect diptube), that wouldn't improve anything. Without being able to get at the diptubes on the new keg, there's no assurance that one's good to go. An infected batch is infected(which it isn't if it tastes fine in the new keg) no matter the vessel it's in.
Could be you don't prefer beers with higher carb levels. Some was lost during the transfusion.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:04:47 PM by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member