Author Topic: Orval - disappointed  (Read 4251 times)

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
Re: Orval - disappointed
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »
Just because it's funky doesn't mean it's Belgian.  I've had bottles of Orval that have been terribly off.  It shouldn't smell like a urinal cake.   >:(

Absolutely.  Any beer can be off sometimes, especially when it comes from overseas and wasn't stored properly.

I'd keep trying to see if the one you got was representative. 
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:08 AM »
Orval is one of the most intriguing beers I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. It has a "barnyard funk" that is truly very unique. I have had it several times and each time it was better than the last indicating an aquired taste on my part. I would love to sample it fresh in Belgium and someday.
Ron Price

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:09 AM »
When we were in Cabo San Lucas for our honeymoon, we pulled into a Cantina advertising 3 for 1 margaritas. 
I placed the order for one margarita (thinking my wife and I could put away the 3 between us).  They brought 6. 

Certainly, you're not complaining, are you ?

Not at all!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 09:55:10 AM »
Who knows?  You could have pulled a "Nixon."

http://blogs.static.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/22179.html
highly entertaining article, thanks :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
FWIW, If you do like this brett, I gotta say that the strain is an agressive monster
and it only takes the dregs from a couple bottles and not a lot of time to impart this
character to your homebrew.  If you do innoculate any of your beer with this, be
extra diligent on the disenfecting regimen when your MT beer container is needing to
be cleaned following inhabitation by this strain else your brewery could get overrun.

As for me, I like this brett.  8)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »
I have found that I prefer it younger rather than older.  I like brett character, but not so much as being clobbered by it.  Blending is a good thing. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 10:09:45 AM »
FWIW, If you do like this brett, I gotta say that the strain is an agressive monster
and it only takes the dregs from a couple bottles and not a lot of time to impart this
character to your homebrew.  If you do innoculate any of your beer with this, be
extra diligent on the disenfecting regimen when your MT beer container is needing to
be cleaned following inhabitation by this strain else your brewery could get overrun.

Brett is just a yeast and normal cleaning and sanitation is all that's needed for brewing beer.  Where it takes ocver is in wineries that used wooden barrels-it will  inhabit pores in th wood and be impossible to remove.  But for us homebrewers no extra steps are needed.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline 1vertical

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »

Brett is just a yeast and normal cleaning and sanitation is all that's needed for brewing beer.  Where it takes ocver is in wineries that used wooden barrels-it will  inhabit pores in th wood and be impossible to remove.  But for us homebrewers no extra steps are needed.

Ok Just be sure to clean all your lines and faucets and the like because it will be noticeable if you do not do due diligence

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
I had a Mikkeller "Bretanomyces series" last night. It reminded me strongly of orval. Absolutely loved it. The brett character reminded me of orval but was stronger. The beer was 8% (which is a good bit stronger) but very drinkable. Seek it out if you can.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 08:15:26 AM »
All this talk of Orval made me thirsty ;D

Bottled 7-22-10

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »
All this talk of Orval made me thirsty ;D

Are you growing some yeast from the dregs...just thought I'd ask since you have the aluminum foil capping the bottle.
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »

Look at my avatar.  That's a fresh Orval (which means 6 months old) at the cafe right next to the monastery.  It's an absolutely spectacular beer. 

Ah hah!  That explains the orgasmic look on your face.  I though there might have been something else going on out of view...  ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline samgamgee

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
When my Siebel class visited the Monastery, we got several cases for the drive back to Munich. Good times on that bus... Orval is one of the true world classics to me, and I've never had a beer in its "style" that matched it. Pretty much got the whole recipe and process from Jean Marie Roc (sp?) when I was at the brewery so I'm going to attempt a clone sometime in the future. They definitely have some quirky processes that go into it. Definitely one of the most fascinating beers in the world.

Offline 1vertical

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 07:21:02 PM »
When my Siebel class visited the Monastery, we got several cases for the drive back to Munich. Good times on that bus... Orval is one of the true world classics to me, and I've never had a beer in its "style" that matched it. Pretty much got the whole recipe and process from Jean Marie Roc (sp?) when I was at the brewery so I'm going to attempt a clone sometime in the future. They definitely have some quirky processes that go into it. Definitely one of the most fascinating beers in the world.
Maybe you could or would steer us down that quirky road to Oval nirvana.... ???  I would enjoy trying to approximate the beer.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »

We have a hobbit posting on the forum! 

Welcome Samwise!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907