Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next piece of equipment..?  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
Re: Next piece of equipment..?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 05:58:11 pm »
OK, perhaps something that will fit.  I can't recommend more highly getting a bottle tree with a sulfiter on top.  Makes bottling fun.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 07:11:44 am »
OK, perhaps something that will fit.  I can't recommend more highly getting a bottle tree with a sulfiter on top.  Makes bottling fun.
I couldn't imagine bottling without one.  After power-spray cleaning my bottles, that tree & santizer sprayer make it so easy.  Just pull it over next to you and grab each bottle as you need it. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 11:26:28 am »
Earlier I was going to suggest a kegging setup, but didn't because this might involve a small fridge. However, bottling would largely become a thing of the past.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 11:52:55 am »
Earlier I was going to suggest a kegging setup, but didn't because this might involve a small fridge. However, bottling would largely become a thing of the past.
I truly believe that kegging saved my home brewing career.  I hate bottling.
Member #: 900000767

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 11:58:13 am »

I bottled a batch last December.  1st time in 4 years. I guess I'd forgotten how hard it was?  It took almost 2 hrs just to clean/sanitize the bottles before I even started to bottle.  Plus, I didn't wear gloves and between the water, sanitizer, and cold weather my skin cracked so bad they almost bled.  Never again! 
-J.K.L.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »
Do you have a stir plate?

There was a recent article I think in BYO about apartment all-grain brewing. I'll look it up and get back to you.
Ron Price

chargerssb

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 09:17:36 pm »
Tons of great suggestions.  I like the idea of a bigger pot and burner.  I saw this on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-1195-Stainless-Steel-Turkey-Fryer/dp/B000291GCU/ref=dp_cp_ob_ol_title_1  Would this be something I could drill a hole in and add a weldless spigot to?

However, even that might be a bit pricey right now.  What temperature controls would you all recommend (Ranco, Johnson)?  I could at least use that in the time being to monitor what temp it is fermenting at (as of now I don't have anything, not even one of those sticker things).  A stir plate is also a good idea.  I really do want to move to all grain soon though.  We'll see if I can talk her into the turkey fryer above and I could do the brew in a bag method since I wouldn't have a mash/lauter tun.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:36:18 pm by chargerssb »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 09:29:31 pm »
If you have or can get BYO's November 2009 addition there's a great article on Small-Space Brewing Tips plus Build a Countertop All-Grain System.

http://www.byo.com/component/resource/article/Issues/266-November%202009/1987-countertop-brewing-system
Ron Price

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 09:31:35 pm »
Do you have a stir plate?

There was a recent article I think in BYO about apartment all-grain brewing. I'll look it up and get back to you.
I kind of rather enjoy the bottling process. Turn on some good tunes (loud as you can), pour a glass or three of your favorite brew, and just think of how good it's all gonna taste afterwards! For me, it's a labor of love.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

beveragebob

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 01:23:05 am »
Being it is your b'day.....and she asked.... I would look at all the responses of equipment upgrades, search around for the best prices....add it all up and put a "wish package" together with a bottom line price she is willing to spend. Of course I'd shmooze her and ask/tell her that I would brew any type of beverage that she so desired(be prepared to throw a bunch of stuff at her like "Honey Wheat, Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Honey Mead....etc....you get my drift ;D

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 08:32:50 am »
Something to take care of fermentation temperature control would be my first place to start
Along that train of thought, for me, one of the biggest helps is having a place to store beer in interim stages of development, so that I can keep brewing fairly often, and have the patience to let beers develop like they should.  So, a keezer, or fermenteezer, comes to mind.
Kirk Howell

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 08:40:19 am »
No room for a cooler? Is this your house?  :D

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 10:03:43 am »

I bottled a batch last December.  1st time in 4 years. I guess I'd forgotten how hard it was?  It took almost 2 hrs just to clean/sanitize the bottles before I even started to bottle.  Plus, I didn't wear gloves and between the water, sanitizer, and cold weather my skin cracked so bad they almost bled.  Never again! 
-J.K.L.

You must not have been using a bottle tree and sulfiter!  Last weekend I sanitized well over 100 bottles in about 10 minutes.

I actually keg and bottle, but I understand the bottling angst.  I gave up bottling after my second or third batch and switched to kegging because I hated the bottling so much.  But my nasty avocado green brewing fridge was sacrificed when moving in with SWMBO and I had to switch back to bottles.  She banished me from my tried and untrue bleach-and-bottles-in-the-bathtub-then-rinse-forever method of sanitizing, so I was dragged kicking and screaming into the world of Star San.  A new brewing buddy (i.e. he was new to brewing) helps out occasionally at a winery and he suggested we borrow their bottle tree and sulfiter.  We also used his capper and a bottling bucket that doubles as my MLT.

Holy frijoles, Batman!  :o  Bottling is a snap now!  Turned out my capper sucked (his was great), Star San is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and a bottling bucket is a hell of a lot easier than trying to maintain a siphon whilst filling bottles.  I have since purchased a True kegorator and some additional kegs, but I still actually enjoy bottling.  So I do both. YMMV.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

chargerssb

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 08:45:17 pm »
No room for a cooler? Is this your house?  :D

Ha ha, that is my house.  How did you get that picture..lol.  No, we live in a condo with a tiny one car garage (the car barely fits).  The closet I keep my brewing equipment is pretty small and already getting full.  Not to mention all the stuff we have around for our 5 month old son, I need to attempt to keep the brewing equipment to a somewhat manageable size.  If I get the 32 quart turkey fryer w/burner I can get rid of my old pot.  So the only equipment I would be adding on would be the burner which I could store outside.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 09:28:00 pm »
 What temperature controls would you all recommend (Ranco, Johnson)?  I could at least use that in the time being to monitor what temp it is fermenting at (as of now I don't have anything, not even one of those sticker things).
I have the Johnson Controls digital, found it on Amazon for about $70. Love it. Easy to set up and works like a champ.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified