Author Topic: Bigger fermenter? - but I have no pump!  (Read 2474 times)

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger fermenter? - but I have no pump!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:41 PM »
Blatz - you must be a big guy to lift a full conical.  
yeah, I'm bigger than the average bear, but one of my other hobbies is staying in shape - lots of deadlifting, cleans, etc. so perhaps I take lifting the conical into the fridge for granted.

I am in fairly good shape, but at my age I am not going to risk a hurt back.
Lifting wort is what the March pump is for, among other tasks.

I'm 32  ;)

but yes, you are correct, which is why in about 9 months give or take, the March pump will be doing all of those tasks for me  ;D.  its not a heavy lift, but it is awkward.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 09:39:32 AM »

in my upcoming brewhouse build, I will be pumping across the room into the conical already inside the fridge, so I won't have to worry about that anymore.

Just a design thought for you, I know a guy who does the same thing.  He pointed out that it was crucial to have a switch for the pump near the end of the line (in your case next to the fridge) so that you could kill the pump quickly and easily if when things go wrong...
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 09:52:12 AM »

Just a design thought for you, I know a guy who does the same thing.  He pointed out that it was crucial to have a switch for the pump near the end of the line (in your case next to the fridge) so that you could kill the pump quickly and easily if when things go wrong...

excellent point! thanks for the advice.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline terrym

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:44 AM »
For those of you who brew 10-gallon batches.  What do you use as your fermenter?  

I currently have to 'split' each batch, because I still use 6.5 Gal. carboys as my fermenters (I put 1/2 the batch in each).  

What are you using for a fermenter that will hold all 10 gallons?  Also, how do you move that big, heavy thing when you have to rack to a 2nd fermenter?  I have no pumps.....

Like a few others, I split my batches and make two different beers.  I will make a hop tea and add it to one of the fermenters if one of the batches requires some IBUs in excess of the "base" recipe, or steep some crystal to darken it up, or both if I need to darken it up and change the hop profile.  The additions are done on the stovetop.

It's a bit more work, but it is fun to provide samples of two different beers and explain how they came from the same "batch".

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »
For those of you who brew 10-gallon batches.  What do you use as your fermenter?  

I currently have to 'split' each batch, because I still use 6.5 Gal. carboys as my fermenters (I put 1/2 the batch in each).  

What are you using for a fermenter that will hold all 10 gallons?  Also, how do you move that big, heavy thing when you have to rack to a 2nd fermenter?  I have no pumps.....

Like a few others, I split my batches and make two different beers.  I will make a hop tea and add it to one of the fermenters if one of the batches requires some IBUs in excess of the "base" recipe, or steep some crystal to darken it up, or both if I need to darken it up and change the hop profile.  The additions are done on the stovetop.

It's a bit more work, but it is fun to provide samples of two different beers and explain how they came from the same "batch".

Welcome to the homebrewersassociation forums!  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 10:35:17 AM »

excellent point! thanks for the advice.

Things can go wrong?

I like the switch idea.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »
Well, if you already have the switch, then nothing will go wrong.   ;)
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
Re: Bigger fermenter - but I have no pump.
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »

14.5 gallon conical.  I rarely use a secondary anymore, but when I rack to kegs, the out valve  sits just high enough over a corney for me.

+1

I recently started using a Blichmann 14.5 gallon conical and I have to say they are worth it. No more racking into the secondary, easy yeast removal and cleaning. A big +1 for conical fermenters.  8)
Ron Price

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »

14.5 gallon conical.  I rarely use a secondary anymore, but when I rack to kegs, the out valve  sits just high enough over a corney for me.

+1

I recently started using a Blichmann 14.5 gallon conical and I have to say they are worth it. No more racking into the secondary, easy yeast removal and cleaning. A big +1 for conical fermenters.  8)

Those seem pretty decently priced compared to other conicals.  However, cooling isn't an issue for me.  It's heating that can be a problem.  They designed their 14.5 to fit inside a stand up freezer - but is there a way to temp control the inside of that feezer warmer instead of just colder? 

I'm not that familiar w/ using a fridge to hold a fermenter temp - unless I want to hold it at a lower temp (50 degrees & below). 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 06:47:46 AM »

+1

Those seem pretty decently priced compared to other conicals.  However, cooling isn't an issue for me.  It's heating that can be a problem.  They designed their 14.5 to fit inside a stand up freezer - but is there a way to temp control the inside of that feezer warmer instead of just colder? 

I'm not that familiar w/ using a fridge to hold a fermenter temp - unless I want to hold it at a lower temp (50 degrees & below). 

A digital controller will regulate the temp for fermentation within 2 degrees or better depending on the controller and settings. Johnson controls or Ranco make them for less than $100 dollars.
Ron Price

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »

+1

A digital controller will regulate the temp for fermentation within 2 degrees or better depending on the controller and settings. Johnson controls or Ranco make them for less than $100 dollars.

What I wanted to know was - can it hold the temp around 70 degrees (when it's 40 degrees outside at my house)?  Depending on the ale being brewed, you want to hold at 65-74 degrees.  Can a fridge/freezer do that w/ the controller settings? 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 07:16:34 AM »
It can if you put a 40 watt light bulb in it and connect the light bulb to the controller.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »
It can if you put a 40 watt light bulb in it and connect the light bulb to the controller.

OK.  Simple enough.  Time to start saving up, I guess!  lol
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 08:18:52 AM »

The RANCO is easier to change from heating to cooling.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 10:01:10 AM »

The RANCO is easier to change from heating to cooling.

+1

I was also going to recommend the Ranco dual stage (heat/cool) controller but you beat me to the punch.  :)
Ron Price