Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: tube screen and "ice cube" ice chest LT  (Read 4192 times)

Offline sailortodd

• Cellarman
tube screen and "ice cube" ice chest LT
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:04:20 am »
I have a 48 qt ice cube ice chest that I'd like to convert into my first MLT. I was wondering if a 9 or 12 inch tube screen, similar to this (found on morebeer.com, but available also at my LHBS):

will be enough to drain the cooler, or if it wouldn't cover enough of the bottom of the cooler to be effective. I've seen SS braid pulled off of water hoses used similarly, but does it use the same length? I know the braid has a tendency to collapse, but the tube screen I'm looking into is stiff, not flexible.
Beer: so much more than just a breakfast drink.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: tube screen and "ice cube" ice chest LT
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:08:23 am »
As long as you're batch sparging, I think you'll be fine
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

narvin

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:09:45 am »
If you plan to batch sparge, you should be just fine.  I think Denny said he doesn't see any advantage to a longer braid in batch sparging.

For fly sparging, you might want a manifold to drain more evenly.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:26:46 am »
9" is fine if batch sparging. Just put something under the end opposite the drain side to let all the wort run out.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline sailortodd

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:45:55 am »
Awesome. Yes, I'll be batch sparging. I forgot to mention that. I'm aware of the problem of channeling I'd end up with if I tried to fly sparge.

This means I may go AG much sooner than I had originally thought. I'll just need a bigger brew kettle for a full volume boil now before I can really get started.
Beer: so much more than just a breakfast drink.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:55:21 am »
I think Denny said he doesn't see any advantage to a longer braid in batch sparging.

That's been my experience and a lot of people have told me they've discovered the same thing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 03:13:47 pm »
I have a 9" bazooka screen in a 72 qt. Coleman Xtreme and it works like a charm for batch sparging.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:30:21 pm »
I have a 72qt Coleman Extreme as well. I use a SS braid from a water supply line. I started with the braid running about 2/3 the length of the cooler. I've trimmed it shorter (due to damage from stirring, etc.) a couple times, and I'm down to about 8 inches now. There's been no change in lautering performance with the different lengths. I don't think the length matters much when batch sparging with this kind of set-up.
Mark Gres

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 08:27:12 pm »
I have a 9" bazooka screen in a 72 qt. Coleman Xtreme and it works like a charm for batch sparging.

+1
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:55:34 am »
The Ice Cube drain holes aren't at the bottom, they are 1-2" up due to the wheels, and tilt up into the cooler.  You might be able to get a waterhose cover down on the bottom more easily, or just tip the Ice Cube up on the wheels at the end.
Brew on

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 11:40:10 pm »
For the sort of cooler you've got, a braid screen would work fine, although you might have clogging problems if you've got a very fine grain crush or a gummy mash. Also, a really deep mash might squash the braid closed.

John Palmer's book goes into great detail about optimum design for ice chest mash tuns. I've got a circular cooler with a "braid" (actually, several layers of stainless steel screen) wrapped around a length of slotted copper tubing which works fine.