Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Oil  (Read 14942 times)

Offline quovadisnp

• 1st Kit
Hop Oil
« on: April 08, 2011, 07:25:18 am »
I want to extract the oil from hops and use the oil for some foods. I'm sure whatever method of extraction I find I'll have to experiment with it to get it just the way I want but I was looking for a place to start. The only methods I saw for extracting oils from flowers and vegetables was by soaking it in alcohol for a few days and filtering...etc. Are there any other methods? I was worried that soaking in alcohol might take away from the flavor and aroma. I know distillers use freeze distillation for their brewing. If I was to boil the hops and then follow the concepts of freeze distillation, would this work? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Hop Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 08:45:18 am »
You could try something like this:  http://heartmagic.com/EssentialDistiller.html  .   I think you would have to use a lot of plant material to extract enough essential oil to be able to do something worthwhile with it.  Give it a go.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 10:38:00 am »
I wouldn't do the boil/freeze distillation thing, either soak in ethanol or use an essential oil extractor.   Those will be your best bet, unless you have access to supercritical CO2, that would make some nice extract too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:17:15 am »
Hop oil already exists as a product:
http://www.hopunion.com/varietyspecifichopoils.html
Member #: 900000767

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:53:36 pm »
It seems that alcohol extractions work well for getting useful properties out of plants for health reasons, but for flavors I think it would ruin them. It depends on what you are making. I know the THC in marijuana, which is very closely related to hops, needs to bond to a fat or an alcohol. I am curious if you could use olive oil instead of alcohol. You could use this as a base in a lot of recipes. My old roommate worked as a chef making desserts. She tried to make a beer dessert, with chocolate cover barley and candied hops.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 08:58:45 am »
"She tried to make..." 

How'd it turn out?  I mean, I love hops as much as the next guy, but candied?   :P  Scared.  Very scared.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:19:04 am »
If you're an AHA member this sounds like a good question for Sean Paxton in Ask the Experts this month.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:25:50 am »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:55:45 am »
Thanks Denny!

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 10:57:54 am »
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 12:20:00 pm »
Hop candy...

Ever tried them?

I haven't tried the chocolate covered ones, but I have tried the straight kinda chewy hop candy.  Very...interesting.....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »
Hop candy...

Ever tried them?

I haven't tried the chocolate covered ones, but I have tried the straight kinda chewy hop candy.  Very...interesting.....
I had the hard hop candies at the NHC.  The flavor was pretty good, but it stuck with you for a LONG time.  I burped hop candy for a long time after, it stopped being fun after 15 minutes or so, got annoying after an hour.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 09:16:56 pm »
Sounds delicious...  Kinda...

Offline nonestalius

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 06:05:07 pm »
Ever since I heard about that Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, it got me all interested in hop oil all over again.
It seems like the major hop suppliers all have it listed somewhere, yet it's nowhere to be found.
Then I stumbled upon this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121558322738
A good selection of different hops, too. Anyone tried them yet?

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 06:25:29 pm »
Ever since I heard about that Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, it got me all interested in hop oil all over again.
It seems like the major hop suppliers all have it listed somewhere, yet it's nowhere to be found.
Then I stumbled upon this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121558322738
A good selection of different hops, too. Anyone tried them yet?
I've never heard of them, and something about their post has my spidey senses tingling. They don't actually mention their source or how the oil is extracted. The product also seems marketed more to the consumer than the brewer. I've had bad luck with other products meant to doctor up a beer.

I messaged the seller asking for a bit more detail about the product. If it seems legit, I may spring for a few. Citra flavored water/tea/kombucha sounds pretty tasty to me, and it would be a nice way to taste-test various dry hopping regimens on a beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer