Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop Oil  (Read 14898 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Hop Oil
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 06:31:12 pm »
+1. I think that that most or all the hop shot/oil type products available to homebrewers are for bittering, and don't have good aromatic properties. I hope eventually what SN is doing with that beer will filter down to the home level.

EDIT -  Eric, I'll be curious to hear what you think, if you use some of this. I thought it looked kind of spotty, too. Maybe not. I'd be curious if there's any useful flavor or aroma, or just bittering power.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:37:36 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline nonestalius

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 07:14:46 pm »
Thanks Eric for prodding! Please do let us know what the seller says!

According to the ebay page and their website, I am under the impression that it is the essential oil. They also sell a separate iso-alpha acid on their website, which further makes me think these should be essential oils.

I don't know, for $5 it's cheap enough to try I guess. (I tried the Hop Tech Hop Oil before and was really not impressed.) Maybe I will buy a few, too. Will let you guys know!

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:01 pm »
If it's anything like this: http://freshops.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=MERCHOIL, it should be a hit.  Great for those events you get stuck at where your host ends up providing a keg of BMC or other lifeless beer.  A drop or two will help you get through the event a little better.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:41 pm »
They got right back to me. It does sound just like the freshops product:

Thanks for you interests!

Our hop oil is pure steam distilled from whole hops and no solvent was used. It is different from hop extract that it does not contain other hop compounds.
It is designed to be used in finished beer, pre-diluted in alcohol to be dosed at 5ppm per 12oz with one single drop.

We have more information on our website http://www.HopMyBeer.com , and since we don' have to pay extra auction fees, we do have better pricing there.

Let us know if you have more questions!
Cheers!
Jarvi

The price is $5 apiece on their website, with free shipping over $25. I ended up snapping up the iso-AA product as well as Centennial, Chinook, Apollo and Citra oils. I'm looking forward to trying them out.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline nonestalius

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 10:16:35 pm »
Cool!  I think I will bite the bullet, too.   ;)

FWIK, you are supposed to use hop oils toward the very end of the process (utilization rates at the earlier stages are very very poor), so dosing it in finished beer, or as their website suggested to add it directly into the beer before you drink, may be what I'd do anyway.
It does seem like they are framing it to be easy to use for consumers instead of homebrewers, but I suppose it's not that different in this case.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 07:15:57 am »
Cool!  I think I will bite the bullet, too.   ;)

FWIK, you are supposed to use hop oils toward the very end of the process (utilization rates at the earlier stages are very very poor), so dosing it in finished beer, or as their website suggested to add it directly into the beer before you drink, may be what I'd do anyway.
It does seem like they are framing it to be easy to use for consumers instead of homebrewers, but I suppose it's not that different in this case.
Right. For homebrewers, the better option is just to add "real deal" dry hops. This would be good for playing around with different hops in a small sample, for teaching non-homebrewers about different hops and what they do, or maybe for kicking up the hop aroma on bottled batches that are starting to lose some pop.
Eric B.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 11:52:14 pm »
And to take things to the next level, there's this: http://hopwater.com/.  I've actually used the Freshops product to flavor water before and it was a pleasant surprise while out riding my bike to reach down and take a hit of hop flavored water!  The candy will also achieve a similar result and works well in hot tea and coffee. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 06:04:54 am »
And to take things to the next level, there's this: http://hopwater.com/.  I've actually used the Freshops product to flavor water before and it was a pleasant surprise while out riding my bike to reach down and take a hit of hop flavored water!  The candy will also achieve a similar result and works well in hot tea and coffee.
I will probably use this for flavoring water/iced tea/kombucha as much as I use it for beer. The hop water stuff seems a bit dubious. It's water based instead of an alcohol based tincture, plus it has sucralose (and other additives depending on which flavor you get).

I will have to try adding your candy to some hot tea. That sounds tasty!
Eric B.

Offline nonestalius

• 1st Kit
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 10:51:40 am »
I don't know about that hopwater either. That sweetner really raise a red flag for me! I just don't see it being a practical product for brewing.

I read it somewhere on the HopMyBeer.com website about using hop oils in bourbon! Now that sounds interesting! I also had a really awesome hopped mead before, with Cascade and Chinook I believe. I think this whole Hop oil thing may be way too much fun!! :)

Ordered mine and should receive it tomorrow!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 10:57:40 am »
I don't know about that hopwater either. That sweetner really raise a red flag for me! I just don't see it being a practical product for brewing.

+1.  I'll pass.
Jon H.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 12:39:13 pm »
The hop water isn't for brewing.  They're making their own drink.  Creators visited our club a few months ago with samples.  Not bad!  They planned on selling 4 packs of bottled hopwater but may have changed their strategy. 

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 11:17:28 am »
I think this is pretty much sold as 'singles': http://propersoda.com/shop/hop-soda  Never tried it but it seems to get good reviews?

edit: I literally just saw this one: http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/made-in-michigan/2015/02/26/hop-soda-hibiscus-proper-soda-made-in-michigan-stephen-curtis/24074949/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:32:14 am by b-hoppy »