Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: March Pump Switch Suggestions?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
March Pump Switch Suggestions?
« on: April 07, 2011, 09:29:35 am »
So I finally broke down and got a pump.  I bought the wired one with the 6' cord and when I was putting the fitting on it last night I got to wondering how in the hell I was gonna turn this on? ???  I've already decided I'm going use the "toolbox" idea to house it so at 1st I thought I might incorporate a waterproof switch on toolbox too but I really want a switch that is accessible from a standing position.  Any suggestions?
-J.K.L.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: March Pump Switch Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:08:19 pm »
Wire up one of these to an extension cord or similar wire:

The switch controls the outlet. The instructions come with the outlet on how to configure the wiring.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:15:08 pm »
Smart and elegant solution, Euge. Cheap too!
Member #: 900000767

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:59:48 pm »
My suggestion is to cut the cord.....I went with all waterproof housing and the plastic toolbox I had around the house.  The pump is always situated below the kettle, tun, or HLT....I can't tell you how many times this thing got wet by accident....boiling liquids, electricity, and (at least) two guys drinking beer......got to build safety into the system somewhere.

Oh, and don't forget the GFI circuit if your circuit isn't already wired so.

more at onbeer.blogspot.com

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:55 am »
My suggestion is to cut the cord.....I went with all waterproof housing and the plastic toolbox I had around the house.  The pump is always situated below the kettle, tun, or HLT....I can't tell you how many times this thing got wet by accident....boiling liquids, electricity, and (at least) two guys drinking beer......got to build safety into the system somewhere.

Oh, and don't forget the GFI circuit if your circuit isn't already wired so.

more at onbeer.blogspot.com

I like this!!  I'm all about some safety. I just wanted the switch up higher but I may go this route? I went to the Depot yesterday and bought a waterproof switch cover and box.  My intention was to cut a 25 ft 16 gauge extension cord that I have at the house and spice in the switch where I could hang it on my stand.  I was going to run the female end of the cord into the toolbox and plug it in.  Sounds pretty safe right?  I call my electrician buddy last night (note; he'd been drinking) to run my plan by him to make sure this was doable.  Right off the bat he sounds unsure that it's safe.  He says 16 ga. sounds too small and I need to use Romex if possible.  I told him that it will run into a GFCI adapter and he was better about it but still suggested a thicker wire.  Should I just go get a 12 ga extension cord? 
-J,K.L.   

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 07:46:49 am »
I would get a heavy duty cord.  The surge current when the motor starts can cause issues on smaller wire.  Your 16g cord will probably get warm while in use which indicates you are at or exceeding it's safe current load.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 07:48:38 am »
I would get a heavy duty cord.  The surge current when the motor starts can cause issues on smaller wire.  Your 16g cord will probably get warm while in use which indicates you are at or exceeding it's safe current load.

Paul

Suggestion on what gauge is safe? 
-J.K.L.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:11:16 am »
Most certainly, 14 gauge wire is safe.  This is a small motor with little current draw.  I'm surprised that 16 gauge is getting hot, but if it is the case, find 14 gauge wire. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:15:06 am »
No problems with the pump overheating inside the toolbox?
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?