Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pesto Pork Chops  (Read 2714 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Pesto Pork Chops
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:06:51 am »
Founds some good pork chops in the freezer yesterday and had some Costco pesto and devised this little recipe yesterday. Damn! These may have been the best pork chops I ever tasted and the mushroom gravy was super easy but made the dish spectacular.

Pesto Pork Chops

4 pork chops (preferably bone in)
4 garlic cloves
4 tbl spoons Pesto + additional for taste (I didn't really measure, just dumped a bunch in the oil)
olive oil
italian bread crumbs
milk and egg for coating

for the gravy
additoonal pesto
mushrooms
chicken stock or broth (about 1.5 - 2 cups)
corn starch for thickening
salt and pepper

Place chops in mixture of milk and egg to soak. Bread chops in crumbs. Meanwhile fry garlic in heavy, shallow pan (big enough to hold all 4 chops) filled with a little less than 1/2 inch olive oil, when brown add 4 table spoons of pesto. Stir until fragrant and then lay chops in oil and fry on med low flipping 2 or 3 times until done. Remove,

For gravy add chopped shrooms to oil and saute while scraping browned bits of pork and pesto (the parmesean cheese from the will be very crispy and brown.) When shrooms start to brown add chicken stock or broth. Bring to boil. Mix a small amount of corn starch with warm water and add a few table spoons at a time until sauce begins to thicken. Add a bit mroe pesto, pepper and salt if needed (depending on the amount of sodium in your stock/broth you may not need any) to taste.

Serve with a side of rice or risotto and steamed vegetables.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Pesto Pork Chops
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:26:33 am »
Sounds fantastic!

We need some pics for our mouth watering pleasure.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:39:13 am »
I just made and froze some pesto over the weekend.  I'll have to give this a try.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:36:12 am »
Keith,  What about all that healthy eating? JK.  It sounds real good.  What kind of mushrooms did you use?  I'm thinking Crimini would be good.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 10:03:39 am »
Sounds fantastic!

We need some pics for our mouth watering pleasure.  ;D

Well - no pics. I ate 'em! ;D

Keith,  What about all that healthy eating? JK.  It sounds real good.  What kind of mushrooms did you use?  I'm thinking Crimini would be good.

Honsetly, its pretty healthy IMO. What with the olive oil and all. Maybe a bit high in calories. I served it with brown rice and broccoli. Of course, gravy is never healthy but you gotta have gravy with Chops!! OTOH I ran 6 miles and lifted weights for 45 minutes so I guess its relative to calories burned.  ;)

I simply use baby portabello mushrooms because I buy them in bulk at costco and eat bunches of them. Not sure but they may be the same as Crimini(?)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:25:02 am by majorvices »

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:36:34 am »
They are the same.  One thing I didn't realize that the white button mushrooms are just immature baby portabellas (crimini).
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »
The Bone-in chops tend to retain their juiciness. I think they are tastier. +1
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis