Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DFH Aprihop IPA  (Read 2334 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
DFH Aprihop IPA
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:18:40 pm »
Apricots are probably my favorite fruit. I have a certain weakness for them, which I indulge infrequently. As a consequence, as if by compulsion I bought a pack of this beer.

Where's the !@#$ apricot!? Oh there it is. Way back there in the f'ing finish. Thanks. I would think it was the hops even and if you hadn't told me it was an "apricot beer" I probably would have missed it altogether. Want me to go on? Probably not. In short, well made balanced beer- which is what I see in any DFH product. Missed it with the apricot though. :-\
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: DFH Aprihop IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 10:56:54 pm »
Really?  I get strong apricot from it, I wonder if it is batch variation.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:15:33 pm »
Really?  I get strong apricot from it, I wonder if it is batch variation.

My thoughts exactly, which may be why we're seeing it here.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:24:48 pm »
From meadmaking, I know that apricots and peaches are subtle fruits.  Haven't tried that beer lately (I remember liking it) but it could also tend to age out.

Personally, if I wanted to make an apricot beer, I'd just use a bigass handful of Amarillo instead.  FWH and at knockout.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:39:49 am »
I'd vote batch variation. The first time I had it was on draft at Big Tree Inn in Geneseo, NY when I was stuck there for work many, many moons ago. Might have been one of the first times it was sent out in kegs. I don't remember how many of them I had over the many weeks I was there, but I do know I didn't find out there were Apricots in it until a few years later. At the time I thought it was just an estery IPA made for the spring (hence the "Apri" part).
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:49:49 am »
Aging and batch variation. I love this beer when it's fresh (and I'm not a big fan of fruit in beer, except dried fruit such as figs).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:34:08 pm »
Try it with BBQ shrimp.....yum.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:06:53 pm »
I'd vote batch variation.

+1

I've had it a few times and each time the apricot is right there in the middle of the mix. Great brew BTW.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:04:49 pm »
Get some of that alien yeast from Tom and spin an apricot beer from that base....
You would get there methinks... ::)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.