Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aluminum Stock Pot  (Read 25578 times)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
Re: Aluminum Stock Pot
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 07:49:23 pm »
I assume it is the off flavor that dissuades people.  Thanks

What off flavor is that?

I second that.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 08:00:55 pm »
I assume it is the off flavor that dissuades people.  Thanks

What off flavor is that?

I second that.

That's correct. As long as the pot has developed an aluminum oxide coating from usage, there will be no off flavors.
Ron Price

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 02:35:13 am »
Most SS pots these days have tri-clad bottoms, i.e., a 3 or 4 mm Aluminum disc sandwiched by thin sheets of SS.  As aluminum is so much more conductive than SS, this helps with thermal transfers and even heating along the bottom of the kettle.  When you can afford it, I think it is worth springing for it.

The higher quality SS pots do have tri-clad bottoms. The cheap ones don't. Generally, you can determine the quality of a SS pot by weight - thicker walls and clad bottom. And, yes, it's worth paying for - especially if you have a really powerful burner under your pot.

The 20-quart stainless brewpot I have doesn't have the tri-clad bottom. It works well enough on my apartment stove, but will it be a problem if/when I upgrade to a propane burner? The pot isn't going to melt or anything, is it?

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 04:18:30 am »
The 20-quart stainless brewpot I have doesn't have the tri-clad bottom. It works well enough on my apartment stove, but will it be a problem if/when I upgrade to a propane burner? The pot isn't going to melt or anything, is it?

You'd have to work very hard to melt stainless steel, and it's certainly not going to happen if you've got liquid in the pot. The problem with thin stainless steel pots (or any pot) in direct contact with electric burners, or over really powerful flames, is that they can develop hot spots which can scorch your wort.

If you're an AG brewer with a relatively clear, clean wort, this isn't so much of a risk, but if you're an extract brewer or are adding adjuncts to your kettle, it's easier for the concentrated stuff on the bottom of the kettle to scorch. A lesser hassle is very strong direct heat can darken your wort, which is a potential problem if you're trying to brew a very light-colored beer. That's one of the reasons why homebrewed light lagers almost never come in as light as commercial versions.

If you have trouble with scorching, the quick solution is to put a "flame tamer" of some sort under your pot which acts as a heat diffuser.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:31 am »
There's nothing wrong with aluminum pots, but be sure you're not scrubbing &/or using cleansers that remove the oxidation.

Personally, I prefer stainless & got 2 of these:
http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International-/60-Qt168824

But...Like I said...There's nothing wrong with aluminum.
I chose stainless, due to durability.
The aluminum pot I have is just too easily dented & I'm not as careful as I should be.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 12:08:46 pm »
There's nothing wrong with aluminum pots, but be sure you're not scrubbing &/or using cleansers that remove the oxidation.

Personally, I prefer stainless & got 2 of these:
http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International-/60-Qt168824

But...Like I said...There's nothing wrong with aluminum.
I chose stainless, due to durability.
The aluminum pot I have is just too easily dented & I'm not as careful as I should be.

+1

If you like to keep your cooking pots nice and shiny then aluminum isn't for you.  Take a look in a restaurant kitchen sometime and see what color their big pots are.  They'll be a whitish grey color inside and out which is what yours should like too.

Stainless is purty, aluminum is less expensive but better in some ways.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 01:33:09 pm »
I love my Aluminum pot!  When I went all grain, I bought an 8mm, 40 qt. aluminum pot with lid for under $50.00 and used it for all of my brews for three years before getting a keggle to do 10 gal. batches.  I still use it as my HLT.  It is thick-walled and very durable, yet lightweight.  In fact, I've been seriously considering getting rid of my keggle and getting a 60 qt. aluminum pot from the same manufacturer (Trade Advantage).

Here's that 40 qt. on it's very first day.  Cue Barbra Streisand..."Mem'rieees..."

"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline afacini

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:00 am »
Aluminum is great for brewing -- durable and heat-conducive.
Something to consider is high-quality oven mitts, because every darn piece (including the handles) of an aluminum pot will inevitably be above 200-degrees while you brew. You'll need something that won't let the heat through for the crucial 30-60 seconds you'll be holding the pot for xfer.

Can't think of a worse choice -- instinctively drop the scalding pot as your oven mitts reach their limit, or risking third-degree burns to save your beer (and probably, more burns).

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 11:32:37 am »
Aluminum is great for brewing -- durable and heat-conducive.
Something to consider is high-quality oven mitts, because every darn piece (including the handles) of an aluminum pot will inevitably be above 200-degrees while you brew. You'll need something that won't let the heat through for the crucial 30-60 seconds you'll be holding the pot for xfer.

Can't think of a worse choice -- instinctively drop the scalding pot as your oven mitts reach their limit, or risking third-degree burns to save your beer (and probably, more burns).
Some of us never lift the hot wort or water.  Just saying that pumps can do the liquid transfer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 05:15:55 pm »
So can spigots/siphons and gravity.  I rarely move hot wort and never move hot kettles.  But you may need/want that in your process, and it's all good.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »
So can spigots/siphons and gravity.  I rarely move hot wort and never move hot kettles.  But you may need/want that in your process, and it's all good.

I should have said single tier for my set up.  Mr. Gravity does not pay much attention to my system, but since I am an old man, my back likes the pump.

Different ways to make beer.  We all have to remember that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 08:50:00 am »
Quality oven mitts come in handy, regardless of the system setup.

Offline afacini

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 02:33:34 pm »
Cost of good oven mitts vs. cost of a pump. One before the other, and it seems the OP is looking to get a new brewpot for extract brewing, so my bet was on him not having/planning to get a pump.

But I'll tell you it's certainly on my own personal list for the future!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 02:56:18 pm »
I really like the Pit Mitt that I got.  It's no good for wet applications, but for picking a hot keggle up by the bottom it's awesome.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 03:17:02 pm »
It's definitely a smart move to have some heat resistant gloves on hand in any event. I keep a pair fireplace gloves from Lowes around while brewing. Better safe than sorry.
Ron Price