Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Colonna capper/corker or other bench capper?  (Read 8268 times)

Offline medicineman

• 1st Kit
Colonna capper/corker or other bench capper?
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:31:33 pm »
I want to get a capper/corker that works for beer bottles, corked wine and beer bottles and is durable.  I am looking at the Colonna capper/corker right now.  Does anyone have it and how does it work for you?

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Colonna capper/corker or other bench capper?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:41:47 am »
There are not many which cap both beer bottles and can cork wine. If you want a dual, it may be your only option. I seem to recall from the time I looked into it the corker attachment is a separate purchase.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline medicineman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 04:15:06 pm »
Alright, it is on my wish list.  I do believe for my price range the Colonna capper/corker is the way to go.

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:36:46 pm »
My suggestion is to buy yourself a Ferrari! Not a car, but the Ferrari Super Zenith Bench Corker. Although it has been discontinued (probably due to cost), there are still a few around to be had at a decent price. IMHO it gives you the most versatility of any capper/corker on the market, plus it can be adapted to use a 29mm crown cap adapter for authentic European/Belgium-style bottles e.g. La Chouffe. It not only saves space, but offers more control & stability when corking/crown capping bottles. The down side is the initial expense & it can be a bit "bulky" when capping cases of small bottles. Good luck with whatever you decide!  ;)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 01:07:03 pm »
Just tried out my Colonna capper/corker yesterday to bottle a batch of wine. Once I got it dialed in, I thought it did really well. Pushed the synthetic corks in a bit more than I expected, but otherwise good.

Will be trying it as a capper later this week, but so far it seems well worth it. Don't be thrown off by its plastic frame. This thing is built sturdy.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline truckmann

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:26:52 pm »
I've been using my Colona capper/corker for several months now and it both caps and corks great! Much easier than the 2 handed contraptions and nice to have all I need build into one device.