Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: When is your beer ready? Poll  (Read 9141 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
When is your beer ready? Poll
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:23:19 am »
So, I'm posing this question, because I basically want some input from other brewers.  When is your beer ready?  Does it vary from recipe to recipe?  Do you drink it when it tastes good, or do you follow a certain routine regardless of what style it is?

I've got a really good IPA that tastes the best 3 weeks after brewing.  One week primary, followed by a week dry hop, keg it two weeks from brewing.  Carb for a week and it's great.  The flavor fades after the first couple weeks in the keg.  I brewed a Porter recently and it was ready in less than three weeks.  Granted, my beer is not clear, since I only crash cool for a couple days before kegging, but I'm not concerned with a crystal clear beer.  I think the haziness is indicative to the fact that it is home brewed and unfiltered.

I know some local brewers who let their beer condition for up to two months for an IPA and they keg as well.  ???   I guess it's up to each brewer to perceive when his/her beer is ready for his/her taste and the style.

Any thoughts?
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: When is your beer ready? Poll
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:42:21 am »
It's ready when it's ready. I don't call primary done until I get a couple of stable hydro readings. Even then it ussually sits for another week or so until I get the time to take the next step. If I dry hop I try to bottle within a week or two but other than that the schedule is determined by the beer. Also once in bottles I get impartient and start taste testing after a week. Generally, except with small or session beers it takes a couple of weeks in the bottle to really come into it's own. had an RIS that didn't really taste great until 6 months in the bottle. Just cracked open a rosemary/sage mead that was 1 year in bottles. Still needs more time.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:23:45 am »
My beers are typically between 5% and 7%.  2 weeks in the primary and 1 week in the keg, drink.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:27:32 am »
It's ready when it's ready.

So much this^^^^^.  No set schedule past not even looking at the beer for at least a week.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 09:50:37 am »

So much this^^^^^.  No set schedule past not even looking at the beer for at least a week.

+1.  It varies.  Don't judge it using a calendar.  Look at it and taste it.

It's like when someone asks about cooking.  How long do I cook it?  Until it's done.  Sounds trite, but it's the right answer.  There are so many variables involved, that there just isn't a good time-based answer.  Learn to recognize the signs, and use those.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:27:40 am »

+1.  It varies.  Don't judge it using a calendar.  Look at it and taste it.

It's like when someone asks about cooking.  How long do I cook it?  Until it's done.  Sounds trite, but it's the right answer.  There are so many variables involved, that there just isn't a good time-based answer.  Learn to recognize the signs, and use those.

+1

Learning this comes with experience. Generally I look at the yeast's AA% and the grist bill then estimate from there but I let the beer decide when it's done.

Typically speaking when the krausen falls and the beer is clear I'll take a hydrometer reading and make a call from there. Usually it's ready to rack or bottle after the beer clears. That can vary in time from 2-4 weeks depending if it's an ale or a lager and the beer strength as well.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:47:07 am »
I'm on the "when it's ready" bandwagon.  It really depends on the beer, but is determined by taste.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:16:13 am »
My beer is usually ready when I run out.  There's always something in the queue.  I usually try to have a few beers on tap and replace the empties when I feel like drinking that beer.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:18:38 am »

+1.  It varies.  Don't judge it using a calendar.  Look at it and taste it.

It's like when someone asks about cooking.  How long do I cook it?  Until it's done.  Sounds trite, but it's the right answer.  There are so many variables involved, that there just isn't a good time-based answer.  Learn to recognize the signs, and use those.

+ 1 I most definitely agree with this. I taste along the way to see how a particular beer is coming along then bottle or keg it at the proper time.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 11:53:05 am »
Two weeks is the fasted turn around I've done. Three to four weeks is normal for my regular ales. Six weeks or more for the lagers. Very few of my beers gain anything for long aging. I've found that good fermentation practices do wonders for making good beer faster. But then sometimes I just don't have time and beers can sit a month longer than I'd like them too.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 12:14:45 pm »
The beer is ready when I say it is.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 12:46:24 pm »
The beer is ready when I say it is.

Euge, I started drinking my Baltic Porter over the weekend and didn't get your permission.  Can you give it the OK please?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:57:57 pm »
Oh all right. Drink it then. ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »
Three to four weeks is normal for my regular ales. Six weeks or more for the lagers. Very few of my beers gain anything for long aging. I've found that good fermentation practices do wonders for making good beer faster.
I find that to be true.  I really prefer my beer fresh.

I try to get my beers into a glass by 6 weeks or less, when possible.  Beer rarely seems to get better after this, just older.  The exception being beers with fermentation problems, pretty common for big beers, that require time to age out the problem.  I find a well made lager to be much better at 6 weeks than at 10, so I avoid any more lagering than it takes to drop the yeast.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 09:09:51 pm »
I try to get my beers into a glass by 6 weeks or less, when possible.  Beer rarely seems to get better after this, just older.  The exception being beers with fermentation problems, pretty common for big beers, that require time to age out the problem.  I find a well made lager to be much better at 6 weeks than at 10, so I avoid any more lagering than it takes to drop the yeast.

I'm surprised to hear extended lagering isn't beneficial.  I've only limited experience but it seems like 8-10 weeks was when my German pils hit its peak.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO