Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...  (Read 14437 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...
« on: April 11, 2011, 07:40:20 am »
So on Wednesday I up and decided to ride a bicycle to work.  I haven't been going to the dojo lately and have been pretty sedentary, so it seemed like a good idea.

I couldn't walk when I got there.  And had chest pains for about 5 hours.

8 hours later I was fully recovered, and the ride home was a LOT easier.  Be mindful this is a hilly area, so I'm forever coming up a hill and then going down another one; it couldn't be uphill there and a nice, smooth, downhill ride home, huh?    >:(

Today wasn't so bad, I actually made it, instead of making it 1 mile and forcing the rest of the way.  I could even walk the bike up that last hill! (it was like dragging a tank last time; I can't pedal up the hill).

My odometer says 24 miles total for the three trips.

So I guess it's 8 miles each way huh?  Takes me an hour; 40 minutes in the car.  I'm only doing this on Mondays and either Thursday or Friday though.

One thing I found out:  it's about 15 degrees hotter outside if a bicycle is involved.  ???

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
Re: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:44:11 am »
Good for you (Except the chest pains, of course!  Hope they're nothing major.)

My issue is exploding GUT!  lol  I have plans to start an exercise program in May - what was I thinking?  Seattle Beer Week is in May!

We'll see how I do....  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:53:01 am by Beer Monger »
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:49:48 am »
Uh, maybe you should check with your doctor before getting back into something this quickly?

Chest pains are not a good thing...ever!!!  If you've been out of the game for a while, try easing back into it instead of pushing yourself to the limit.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:06:38 am »
Good for you!  

My issue is exploding GUT!  lol  I have plans to start an exercise program in May - what was I thinking?  Seattle Beer Week is in May!

We'll see how I do....  

I recommend some Yoga (you can Wii Fit Plus this) and maybe push-ups and sit-ups....  If you engage in about 15 minutes of meditation a day, you can leave off the Wii Fit and do Yoga independently as a moving meditation (this is, by the way, incredible in every possible way), and cut the independent meditation down to 5 minutes if you like (meditating while doing Yoga is actually better).  Ignore actual time for that stuff, just have a Yoga routine and do whatever feels like "enough" if you're just meditating.

So this comes out to what

• 5 minutes meditation
  • 10 minutes Yoga
  • 10 minutes push-ups

About half an hour.  Do these in that order:  the meditation (after you've taken the week or so to figure it out) will actually wake you up immediately from a dead sleep.  I usually do this in full Lotus (can you?!) or Seiza on the floor; but just Agura (cross-legged, no lotus) works, although it's notably imbalanced (Lotus is perfectly flat and balanced).  It takes me roughly one minute to be completely awake, although I can also do it to relax before first sleep or in the period between.

It's a start.  The hard part is actually finding the time, because Yoga is a good way to wake up, or maybe push-ups, or whatnot; but you always wake up and shower first because you're tired, then you wanna eat, then you wanna leave, and oh it'll take too long... but you wander around in the shower and spend half an hour there "waking up," you eat slow, and you waste half an hour or so just fooling around before work.

I know because I waste about 2 hours in the morning-- I wake up at 6:30 and I leave around 9:00, and in between I cook breakfast and eat.  I used to wake up at 6:30, shower, shave (damn fine shave with a straight razor), 30 minutes of Wii Fit (including Yoga, light aerobics, a little strength), cook and eat, and get out at 8:30, be at work around 9:00.  It may sound like a military drill, but it's not; I power up and set up the Wii while I'm cooking and eating, which only takes me 15 minutes (it takes about 5 to get into Wii Fit Plus and set up a routine to start out; I don't pre-plan).  It's mainly leisure, not trying to squeeze every second out rushing from room to room; I don't do stress.

Taking up a martial art is a better way to waste 2 hours than getting a gym membership, btw.  It might be lighter than power-lifting or whatever, but a good martial arts class will make you warm up and do strength training for 10-15 minutes.  If you want a gym, get home gym equipment and skip the commute; if you want to drop a ton of fat, take up kickboxing (no, not kidding, talk about sudden heart failure...).  Some places market "Aerobic Kickboxing," which will have you drowning in a puddle of your own grease until your BMI is only a little above normal ;)

I've always considered "fitness" a waste of my time.  If I have to waste 2 hours of my day to stay in shape, I'm doing something wrong; that's why I head for martial arts.  It's mental training, and the "fitness" thing is a side-effect.  Morning and before-bed things I do simply to set my body into a state of awakeness or relaxation (these are both pretty close) so I can get up easier or go to sleep faster and sleep better.  It's efficient, in the same way that keeping your car tuned up is more efficient than letting it die from ill maintenance (poorly maintained cars are slow and fuel-hoggish, and take a lot of time and money to keep running).

Uh, maybe you should check with your doctor before getting back into something this quickly?

What's a doctor?  There's no such thing as medical records for me; they simply aren't on file, I have no medical history.  I've been out of the system long enough that I dropped out of the archives.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:18 am »
Good for you!  

We'll see how I do....  

I recommend some Yoga (you can Wii Fit Plus this) and maybe push-ups and sit-ups....  If you engage in about 15 minutes of meditation a day, you can leave off the Wii Fit and do Yoga independently as a moving meditation (this is, by the way, incredible in every possible way), and cut the independent meditation down to 5 minutes if you like (meditating while doing Yoga is actually better).  Ignore actual time for that stuff, just have a Yoga routine and do whatever feels like "enough" if you're just meditating.

So this comes out to what

• 5 minutes meditation
  • 10 minutes Yoga
  • 10 minutes push-ups

About half an hour.  Do these in that order:  the meditation (after you've taken the week or so to figure it out) will actually wake you up immediately from a dead sleep.  I usually do this in full Lotus (can you?!) or Seiza on the floor; but just Agura (cross-legged, no lotus) works, although it's notably imbalanced (Lotus is perfectly flat and balanced).  It takes me roughly one minute to be completely awake, although I can also do it to relax before first sleep or in the period between.

It's a start.  The hard part is actually finding the time, because Yoga is a good way to wake up, or maybe push-ups, or whatnot; but you always wake up and shower first because you're tired, then you wanna eat, then you wanna leave, and oh it'll take too long... but you wander around in the shower and spend half an hour there "waking up," you eat slow, and you waste half an hour or so just fooling around before work.

I know because I waste about 2 hours in the morning-- I wake up at 6:30 and I leave around 9:00, and in between I cook breakfast and eat.  I used to wake up at 6:30, shower, shave (damn fine shave with a straight razor), 30 minutes of Wii Fit (including Yoga, light aerobics, a little strength), cook and eat, and get out at 8:30, be at work around 9:00.  It may sound like a military drill, but it's not; I power up and set up the Wii while I'm cooking and eating, which only takes me 15 minutes (it takes about 5 to get into Wii Fit Plus and set up a routine to start out; I don't pre-plan).  It's mainly leisure, not trying to squeeze every second out rushing from room to room; I don't do stress.

Taking up a martial art is a better way to waste 2 hours than getting a gym membership, btw.  It might be lighter than power-lifting or whatever, but a good martial arts class will make you warm up and do strength training for 10-15 minutes.  If you want a gym, get home gym equipment and skip the commute; if you want to drop a ton of fat, take up kickboxing (no, not kidding, talk about sudden heart failure...).  Some places market "Aerobic Kickboxing," which will have you drowning in a puddle of your own grease until your BMI is only a little above normal ;)

I've always considered "fitness" a waste of my time.  If I have to waste 2 hours of my day to stay in shape, I'm doing something wrong; that's why I head for martial arts.  It's mental training, and the "fitness" thing is a side-effect.  Morning and before-bed things I do simply to set my body into a state of awakeness or relaxation (these are both pretty close) so I can get up easier or go to sleep faster and sleep better.  It's efficient, in the same way that keeping your car tuned up is more efficient than letting it die from ill maintenance (poorly maintained cars are slow and fuel-hoggish, and take a lot of time and money to keep running).

Thanks for the write up, but I'm going to be joining my wife's gym. She's lost over 150lbs in the 10 years since we got married - so she's gonna be my 'personal trainer' to help get me in shape.  I need a 'kick start', and I'm not in shape enough to start with martial arts - I need to get at least into decent shape before that. 

For now, I need to focus on cardio.  I'll be spending a lot of time on the eliptical machine!
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:35:34 am »
What's a doctor?  There's no such thing as medical records for me; they simply aren't on file, I have no medical history.  I've been out of the system long enough that I dropped out of the archives.

As someone who's had a heart attack, allow me to say that you're an idiot.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:37:44 am »
Congrats, dude.  Riding a bike to work kicks ass, I can't imagine a sedentary life of not biking where I go.  I feel so lazy and crappy when I don't ride to work.  I don't own a car, it's the only way I get around most times.  I ride 5 or so miles each way every day of the week, rain or shine.  The only days I don't ride are when there's about a foot of snow on the ground or super icy (even though I have studded tires, they only provide you so much traction).
And yes, you definitely have to dress lighter than you would normally.  For me, I wear a tshirt down to about 50F, then I put arm warmers on down to about 40-45F, then it's a wind proof rain jacket down to about 20F, then my nice windproof winter jacket down below zero.  Shorts usually go on, when it's above about 60F in the morning.
Jesse

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:50:43 am »
How old are you?
8 miles per trip and your having chest pains, dude put down the fork & crack pipe.

oh, you may want to start eatting some aspirin it just might save your life.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:56:32 am by uthristy »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:52:31 am »
Used to ride everywhere as a bicycle was my only transport. Was in the best shape of my life. Now that fuel is going up a bicycle might be in order and the ride to work is about 8 miles. That's not far on a bike.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 11:24:07 am »
Thanks for the write up, but I'm going to be joining my wife's gym. She's lost over 150lbs in the 10 years since we got married - so she's gonna be my 'personal trainer' to help get me in shape.  I need a 'kick start', and I'm not in shape enough to start with martial arts - I need to get at least into decent shape before that. 

For now, I need to focus on cardio.  I'll be spending a lot of time on the eliptical machine!

False :P  You can always start a martial arts class, but if it's too hard you can also stop and set out.  Usually such things are relatively light intensity, long endurance; but as I said, kickboxing == cardio.

But good plan anyway :)  Anything is better than sitting on your ass all day, even something like just plain old Yoga (i.e. with nothing else) will keep your joints and ligaments healthy, though you won't lose any weight or keep your heart in good shape that way.

Congrats, dude.  Riding a bike to work kicks ass, I can't imagine a sedentary life of not biking where I go.  I feel so lazy and crappy when I don't ride to work.  I don't own a car, it's the only way I get around most times.  I ride 5 or so miles each way every day of the week, rain or shine.  The only days I don't ride are when there's about a foot of snow on the ground or super icy (even though I have studded tires, they only provide you so much traction).

... in the rain?  Seriously I'm like, what do I do if it's raining?

Hmm I have to get a Thudbuster from a friend... also going to ask him what he thinks about tube protection (i.e. anti-puncture things you shove into the tires).  A few vendors make these, and I have been rolling over a lot more broken glass than I'd like lately (without incident, so far); I don't have a way to get anywhere if I blow a tube....

How old are you?
8 miles per trip and your having chest pains

25.  I've been out of it since like January... sit in my chair at work, go home, sit on the floor, go to sleep, get up, repeat.  I only made it like a mile before I was struggling.

My heart's fine.  As long as I don't pass out I'll be okay.  The first time I joined a martial arts dojo I somehow ended up starting on a night when the silat guru decided to do some intensive warm-ups for 15 minutes and had serious arrhythmia, which was ...interesting.  (I collapsed)  The damn thing hasn't actually died on me yet, so I doubt it's going to.

... yeah I probably should have sat that one out.  But hell, I wasn't any worse off than the guys who have been there for 8 years (Guru tries to push us enough that you simply can't build that kind of stamina; it never gets "easy", just "survivable").
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:34:14 am by bluefoxicy »

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 11:58:22 am »
I don't own a car, it's the only way I get around most times.  

That's awesome, but how do you get your beer and brewing bits?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 12:10:53 pm »
I go by the saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing".  Riding in the rain is no problem.  A good rain jacket and rain pants are pretty important.  What I do is wear my rain pants as my normal pants, stuff another pair in my bag, and change when I get to work.  Doesn't happen very often, so I'm okay with doing it on occasion.  Typically, I change into a button up kinda shirt when I get to work anyway just to show my boss and coworkers I care a little more about my job :)
As far as getting my brew stuff, I order the big stuff online.  I have a pretty large size messenger bag that will fit a dirty 30 of PBR in it, so it will fit quite a bit of brewing stuff like specialty grains, etc.  The place I buy that stuff from doesn't carry any bulk stuff, and has a limited amount of specialty grains, so I don't go there often.
Otherwise, I get by just fine by bike.  It's a definite lifestyle change, one I choose to live.  It makes me a little more patient, slows life down a bit because you can't just hop in your car and be somewhere in 5 minutes, it maybe takes 10 instead.  I don't mind it.  It also makes me think about what I'm doing.  Sure I can I drive to wherever, but do I really need to?  I don't feel like biking that distance right now in the rain, I'll stay home.  Simple lifestyle choice.

EDIT: Greg LeMond said once, "It never gets easier, you just go faster".  Totally true.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:12:54 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »
I had a couple panniers on my mountain bike. Could fit a lot of groceries in them and a back-pack for regular stuff. Weather isn't much of an impediment except high winds and heavy rain.

I hate riding in the rain. Watch out for manhole covers, railroad tracks and painted cross-walks. All will put you on the ground quicker than you can react due to their slippery nature when wet. I hate riding in the rain. :(
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 12:22:18 pm »
I had a couple panniers on my mountain bike. Could fit a lot of groceries in them and a back-pack for regular stuff. Weather isn't much of an impediment except high winds and heavy rain.

I hate riding in the rain. Watch out for manhole covers, railroad tracks and painted cross-walks. All will put you on the ground quicker than you can react due to their slippery nature when wet. I hate riding in the rain. :(
Those are all issues for motorcycle riders too. I hate riding my cycle in the rain. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 02:08:34 pm »
As someone who's had a heart attack, allow me to say that you're an idiot.

As someone who's never had a heart attack, allow me to say that I like turtles.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.