Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...  (Read 14469 times)

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
Re: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 02:14:06 pm »
I'll second what Denny said, if you're having issues like that at the age of 25, you're either severly overweight or possibly have a hereditary issue. Do you have a family history of heart disease or anything along that line? Judging by stories I read in the paper every few months, kids either in HS or college dropping dead after exerting themselves (sporting events) had enlarged hearts... its a serious matter... it could be very likely for you... but you need to see your Dr then a cardiologist to make sure... if you feel you don't need to see a Dr, all I can say is that will be more hops/grain for me at some point...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 02:14:36 pm »
and I have a turtle head poking out...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 02:23:40 pm »
Otherwise, I get by just fine by bike.  It's a definite lifestyle change, one I choose to live.  It makes me a little more patient, slows life down a bit because you can't just hop in your car and be somewhere in 5 minutes, it maybe takes 10 instead.  I don't mind it.  It also makes me think about what I'm doing.  Sure I can I drive to wherever, but do I really need to?  I don't feel like biking that distance right now in the rain, I'll stay home.  Simple lifestyle choice.

I suppose so.  60 minutes to work instead of 40 by car (that includes a walk up a hill though, which takes 10; on the bike I just ride up the hill, oddly it's easy even though it's the LAST hill in a long series ???).  And this is "dead most of the way" riding, even coming downhill I ride my brakes trying to stay somewhere under 15mph (oh, yeah, I have 24 gears and hit 15 on level ground in FOURTH, wtf mate?).  On level ground I cruise around 6mph-9mph, on hills it's 3-4mph up if not a tad slower.

This is not "serious pedal-pumping."  If I'm actually pedaling more than 20% of the time, I'm not going 9mph; I'm going like 15, easy, on level ground and yes, even up gentle hills.  I just can't sustain it, don't have the stamina at all.  It's a lot more work; that bike has so very little rolling resistance though, my God it's fast.  If only the seat was more forward; but then, I'm scared enough doing 15.

TBH I spend a lot of my time pulling off the road to let cars pass, or getting hit by cars (or state-funded buses...), etc.  No kidding, 6 people bumped me on the way home the first time, and I had a bus run me right into the gutter (I was 3 inches from the curb, with one hand trailing along the side of the bus, trying to stay perfectly straight so I wouldn't hit it).  They blare their horns while approaching at full speed--without slowing down.  They go around me by moving 6 inches left in their lane.  Hell, they run stop signs--I'm right at the intersection already, and they pull through and force me to stop (I stop for signs, but if it's not an all-way stop I pass through if I have right-of-way).

Bicycles are legally considered road vehicles here.  I have to stop for traffic signs and signals and school busses, I have to ride on the right side close to the edge of the lane OR in a dedicated bike lane OR on the shoulder if the shoulder is smooth and debris-free (yeah, if it's not convenient, I'm allowed to ride in the road).  I have to have safety equipment-- a bell/horn, reflectors or lights, the only thing I don't need to have is a mirror and I'm buying one today.  I pull off the road to let cars pass, but really there's no law that says I have to yield to traffic; they kind of have to not hit me, it's in the law.

Maryland actually is a pretty crappy state; but there are laws that require bicycle lanes to be preserved by construction (bicycle lanes, sidewalks, and shoulders!), they require all public education institutions and state institutions to provide bicycle parking, and the text of the law even says "drivers of motor vehicles must exercise due care when near bicycles. (Note: Fear of being sideswiped limits full access to roads with narrow lanes.)" Maybe they should have passed House Bill 143... (you gotta love Section 1-C)

Some of my coworkers are telling me to abandon bicycling because people will hit me and eventually injure me or kill me; yeah, okay, and their insurance company is going to love that one.  I try to stay out of the way of traffic, but really, it's not my fault people want to be dicks.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »

Some of my coworkers are telling me to abandon bicycling because people will hit me and eventually injure me or kill me; yeah, okay, and their insurance company is going to love that one.  I try to stay out of the way of traffic, but really, it's not my fault people want to be dicks.
Don't f##king listening to those kooks.  Find alternate routes to work.  I take a longer route to work by about 2 miles, but it's low traffic and not as many stops.
It's a lifestyle, man.  You can't just give up.  Cars need to be aware of you.  Obey all traffic laws, stop signs, lights, etc.  If you see someone driving poorly, let them know about it.  If someone passes you too closely and you get a chance to catch up to them, kick their bumper.  There's NO EXCUSE for idiotic driving and disrespect towards cyclists. 
I'll leave it at that as you can tell this is a subject I'm very passionate about.  Good luck and keep riding dude.
Jesse

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 02:48:04 pm »
Man I've missed these threads!  :D
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »
It's a lifestyle, man.  You can't just give up.  Cars need to be aware of you.  Obey all traffic laws, stop signs, lights, etc.  If you see someone driving poorly, let them know about it.  If someone passes you too closely and you get a chance to catch up to them, kick their bumper.  There's NO EXCUSE for idiotic driving and disrespect towards cyclists. 

Eh I'm not going to go vandalizing cars.  I mean I can't stand cyclists either, but I've never really blared my horn or passed within 3 feet (actually I find them unpredictable and on VERY agile yet rather slow road vehicles, so I give a wide berth when I pass and I pass quickly when I get the opening).  They're in my way, but they're allowed to be; hence why I'm courteous to drivers when I ride my bike.

It works both ways for me.  I'm just culture shocked finding out it doesn't work both ways for anyone else in a car I guess.   ???

I have taken the time to complain to my delegate about a certain law not being passed that would require adequate space given when passing.  Not that people actually pay attention to laws; they're just there so when someone's mirror breaks off on my elbow (the rest of me is pretty squishy) I can immediately put them on the defensive.  What I need is a rear view mirror... (what?  You thought I'd just go looking to make the rest of the world change?  Let me know how that works out for you; maybe long-term.)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 03:08:23 pm »
As someone who's had a heart attack, allow me to say that you're an idiot.

As someone who's never had a heart attack, allow me to say that I like turtles.

As someone who has never fed a pet turtle a bacon diet, allow me to say I'm concerned that your turtle is headed for a heart attack.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:09 pm »
Hearts are overrated.  They break too easily!
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 03:18:16 pm »
As someone who's had a heart attack, allow me to say that you're an idiot.

As someone who's never had a heart attack, allow me to say that I like turtles.

Made my day, Barry!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 03:24:37 pm »

Eh I'm not going to go vandalizing cars.  I mean I can't stand cyclists either, but I've never really blared my horn or passed within 3 feet (actually I find them unpredictable and on VERY agile yet rather slow road vehicles, so I give a wide berth when I pass and I pass quickly when I get the opening).  They're in my way, but they're allowed to be; hence why I'm courteous to drivers when I ride my bike.

It works both ways for me.  I'm just culture shocked finding out it doesn't work both ways for anyone else in a car I guess.   ???

I have taken the time to complain to my delegate about a certain law not being passed that would require adequate space given when passing.  Not that people actually pay attention to laws; they're just there so when someone's mirror breaks off on my elbow (the rest of me is pretty squishy) I can immediately put them on the defensive.  What I need is a rear view mirror... (what?  You thought I'd just go looking to make the rest of the world change?  Let me know how that works out for you; maybe long-term.)
I'm not saying you have to break their windows or anything, just let them know you're there and you demand respect.  It's those bad cyclists that run stop signs and lights and ride unpredictably that give cyclists like me a bad name.  I'm just trying to get from point A to point B just like anyone else in a car, I want to be treated as another vehicle on the road.
People complain all the time about cyclists and how they're a nuisance and we're all "in their way" because they're ultimately more important than me.  Well, if you want me to act like a vehicle on the road, start treating me like one.  I do act like a vehicle on the road, but that's kind of what it makes me think when people complain about how cyclists don't obey any traffic laws.  It doesn't help that cars have little to no respect of cyclists.
I just don't understand the hostility that motorists have towards cyclists.  Sorry I slowed down your drive by 2 f##king seconds...jeeeezuz...
Jesse

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 03:29:44 pm »
some cyclists break the laws, lots of folks in cars/trucks break the laws... its all about entitlement, everyone thinks they are entitled... makes for alot of grumpy people... I will say that you should remember, you're on a bicycle and they are in a car... ultimately they have right of way. The car will always win, not worth your life or getting hurt/maimed.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 04:13:45 pm »
Obey traffic laws or they might just use this on you:

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 04:19:29 pm »
As someone who has never fed a pet turtle a bacon diet, allow me to say I'm concerned that your turtle is headed for a heart attack.

That did cross my mind when I began the project, but then I decided it would serve two purposes...

1. Once turtle has entered cardiac arrest, I will know he has "marinated" long enough.

2. It will save me from having to slaughter him.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 04:38:30 pm »
There are A LOT of bicyclists around Portland.  Its amazing to see all the bike commuters on the city streets.  Unfortunately, cars hitting bicycles is always on the news here despite significant bike trails.

ccarlson

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 06:22:49 am »
some cyclists break the laws, lots of folks in cars/trucks break the laws... its all about entitlement, everyone thinks they are entitled... makes for alot of grumpy people... I will say that you should remember, you're on a bicycle and they are in a car... ultimately they have right of way. The car will always win, not worth your life or getting hurt/maimed.

And the auto drivers pay most of the street taxes, so IMO they definitely have the right of way, not to mention they can keep up with the posted speeds.