Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...  (Read 14381 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 06:49:58 am »
And the auto drivers pay most of the street taxes, so IMO they definitely have the right of way, not to mention they can keep up with the posted speeds.

This logic would imply that cars should have ultimate right of way over pedestrians as well, and if you get hit by a car, it's your fault for not paying attention on a road which you were paying less for.

This logic fails miserably when you ask yourself, 'what if the cyclist were also a driver? (he pays the same taxes/fees you do)' or 'what if the driver were from a different state or country? (he's outside the jurisdiction of the local tax body and therefore does not pay for the road he is using - should he yield to local drivers?)' Furthermore it fails morally when you imply that one person has more rights than another because of the amount they pay for something.

Being in the state of driving a car does not grant you extra privileges other than going faster than others. What it does do is impose on you additional responsibilities, such as yielding to those sharing the same piece of pavement who are much smaller, more easily susceptible to catastrophic damage, and incapable of going faster without harming themselves or others.

Finis lecture.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:53:10 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

ccarlson

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 07:04:03 am »
I know there are bike lanes and that's great, but the main roads are built for motorized vehicles. Now if they want to start truly enforcing the laws and citing bike riders for running lights, impairing flow, etc. then I'm all for it. I think that bike riders on single lane roads, without shoulders, should be required to pull off the road every 5 minutes or so and let the traffic behind them pass.  If they are riding side by side, taking up an entire lane and NOT driving the speed limit, they should be ticketed. 

As for the taxes, yes, most bike riders are probably auto drives as well, but when they're on the road, they aren't using gas which is taxed to pay for the roads. As for pedestrians, they are capable of getting far off of the road, so the don't effect traffic flow, in most cases.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 07:45:53 am »
I know there are bike lanes and that's great, but the main roads are built for motorized vehicles. Now if they want to start truly enforcing the laws and citing bike riders for running lights, impairing flow, etc. then I'm all for it. I think that bike riders on single lane roads, without shoulders, should be required to pull off the road every 5 minutes or so and let the traffic behind them pass.  If they are riding side by side, taking up an entire lane and NOT driving the speed limit, they should be ticketed. 

As for the taxes, yes, most bike riders are probably auto drives as well, but when they're on the road, they aren't using gas which is taxed to pay for the roads. As for pedestrians, they are capable of getting far off of the road, so the don't effect traffic flow, in most cases.

In many areas, especially rural, pedestrians have no choice but to walk on the road. As a kid who grew up on 35 acres I can tell you that sidewalks are a wonderful thing -if they exist-. Where I grew up we had ditches on the sides of the road, and you didn't want to go down there. There's also the problem of sidewalk maintenance - if cities fixed up sidewalks at the same rate as roads, well that'd be great.

Re bike riders on single lane roads without shoulders, speaking from experience on both sides (the road by my house has no shoulders for a large portion of the way) I can say that most of those roads are low-traffic and it's easy to pass the bikes just like you'd pass a car, plenty of room in the other lane for the 5 seconds it takes to pass.

--

Of course, I'm not arguing bikes should be on highways. But if we're talking residential or semi-residential roads, I think some sharing should be done. Speed limits are typically low enough in those areas that you're not going to be late to work if you have to slow down for a minute or two to pass a bike.
----

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 08:29:30 am »
I ride my bike 12.6 miles every day.  It takes 45 minutes to cover that distance.  The days that I don't ride I feel like s--t.

The only turtles we have here are honu.  If you get caught eating those you'll be doing hard time in the big house.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 08:33:14 am »
The bike riders who really irk me and almost make me WANT to run them off the road are the ones who always want to filter to the very front of traffic at every stop light, but then take off like a grandma on Sunday when the light changes and ride right in the middle of the damn lane!

Granted, some of the 2-lane roads in Seattle are actually painted to allow the full lane as a 'bike' lane, but c'mon!  If you're gonna ride right out in the middle and hold up EVERYBODY, you could as least make a minmal effort to keep up a decent speed. 

Some of these morons get, litereally, RIGHT in front of me - dead center on my front bumper, while I'm waiting at the light.  It just makes me wanna gun it & run their stupid asses down. 

[/rant]  lol
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:52:29 am by Beer Monger »
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

ccarlson

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 08:41:49 am »
The bike riders who really irk me and almost make me WANT to run them off the road are the ones who always want to filter to the very front of traffic at every stop light, but then take off like a grandma on Sunday when the light changes and right right in the middle of the damn lane!

Granted, some of the 2-lane roads in Seattle are actually painted to allow the full lane as a 'bike' lane, but c'mon!  If you're gonna ride right out in the middle and hold up EVERYBODY, you could as least make a minmal effort to keep up a decent speed. 

Some of these morons get, litereall, RIGHT in front of me - dead center on my front bumper, while I'm waiting at the light.  It just makes me wanna gun it & run their stupid asses down. 

[/rant]  lol

And these would be the very ones I'm referring to. Oh, and for those of you that like to flip me off, please remember that what I'm driving is much bigger than you.  Do you really want to piss me off? ;)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:59 am »
I should note, all of my previous comments were made under the assumption that both driver and bicyclist are rational beings. My walks along the Brooklyn Bridge have proven to me that not all cyclists are rational.
----

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:08 am »
I should note, all of my previous comments were made under the assumption that both driver and bicyclist are rational beings. My walks along the Brooklyn Bridge have proven to me that not all cyclists are rational.

From what I've heard, most New Yorkers are NOT very rational.  ;)  lol
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 09:10:52 am »
some cyclists break the laws, lots of folks in cars/trucks break the laws... its all about entitlement, everyone thinks they are entitled... makes for alot of grumpy people... I will say that you should remember, you're on a bicycle and they are in a car... ultimately they have right of way. The car will always win, not worth your life or getting hurt/maimed.

And the auto drivers pay most of the street taxes, so IMO they definitely have the right of way, not to mention they can keep up with the posted speeds.
NOT true.  The majority of the taxes that go towards the roads everyone pays in state and local taxes.  Don't even start with that motorist entitlement bulls***!
And I suppose you're going to say that those who rent don't pay any taxes towards schools too huh?  Which comes from property taxes. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:14:36 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 09:13:29 am »
some cyclists break the laws, lots of folks in cars/trucks break the laws... its all about entitlement, everyone thinks they are entitled... makes for alot of grumpy people... I will say that you should remember, you're on a bicycle and they are in a car... ultimately they have right of way. The car will always win, not worth your life or getting hurt/maimed.

NOT true.  The majority of the taxes that go towards the street everyone pays in federal taxes.  Don't even start with that motorist entitlement bulls***!

It depends on the state.  Out here in the West, much of our car registration fees go towards both road improvements & public transit improvements (i.e. Drivers are paying to improve the roads & the public transit options for non-drivers). 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 09:15:19 am »

NOT true.  The majority of the taxes that go towards the street everyone pays in federal taxes.  Don't even start with that motorist entitlement bulls***!

It depends on the state.  Out here in the West, much of our car registration fees go towards both road improvements & public transit improvements (i.e. Drivers are paying to improve the roads & the public transit options for non-drivers). 
Damn it, you responded before I could edit my statement.  It's not federal taxes that I meant, but state and local taxes that go towards roads, etc.
Jesse

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:05 am »
The bike riders who really irk me and almost make me WANT to run them off the road are the ones who always want to filter to the very front of traffic at every stop light, but then take off like a grandma on Sunday when the light changes and right right in the middle of the damn lane!

Some of these morons get, litereall, RIGHT in front of me - dead center on my front bumper, while I'm waiting at the light.  It just makes me wanna gun it & run their stupid asses down. 

[/rant]  lol

And these would be the very ones I'm referring to. Oh, and for those of you that like to flip me off, please remember that what I'm driving is much bigger than you.  Do you really want to piss me off? ;)

Do you really want to go to prison?  ::)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

ccarlson

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 09:58:32 am »

[/rant]  lol

Actually, flipping someone off is considered road rage and they should be the ones going to jail. Cyclists get way too much leeway with the law. Just because they don't have a motor under them doesn't mean that they should get preferential treatment.That includes DUI.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 10:04:34 am »

[/rant]  lol

Actually, flipping someone off is considered road rage and they should be the ones going to jail. Cyclists get way too much leeway with the law. Just because they don't have a motor under them doesn't mean that they should get preferential treatment.That includes DUI.

Agreed - and I've seen some extremely damn drunk bikers around here. 

Most bikers around here that I see (not all but most) seem to ignore the basic rules of the road when they become inconvenient:
-They ignore stop signs
-They ignore stop lights
-They cut off cars & then get pissed when the car they just cut off is/gets 'too close' to them
-They ride drunk as hell
-They sometimes purposely try to annoy drivers by blocking them whenever possible, riding purposely very slow in the middle of the lane, block a LONG line of cars in a right turn only lane from making their turn until the light changes & the bike moves, etc. etc. 

I wouldn't mind 'sharing the road' with them so much if they actually followed the rules of the road.  Most (or at least MANY of them) seem not to. 
Beer Monger's Blog

ccarlson

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14:25 am »
Agreed - and I've seen some extremely damn drunk bikers around here. 

Most bikers around here that I see (not all but most) seem to ignore the basic rules of the road when they become inconvenient:
-They ignore stop signs
-They ignore stop lights
-They cut off cars & then get pissed when the car they just cut off is/gets 'too close' to them
-They ride drunk as hell
-They sometimes purposely try to annoy drivers by blocking them whenever possible, riding purposely very slow in the middle of the lane, block a LONG line of cars in a right turn only lane from making their turn until the light changes & the bike moves, etc. etc. 

I wouldn't mind 'sharing the road' with them so much if they actually followed the rules of the road.  Most (or at least MANY of them) seem not to. 

I agree. I have no problem sharing the road with them, but they should follow all of the same laws I do.