Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...  (Read 14468 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 10:25:49 am »

Actually, flipping someone off is considered road rage and they should be the ones going to jail. Cyclists get way too much leeway with the law. Just because they don't have a motor under them doesn't mean that they should get preferential treatment.That includes DUI.

Dude, are you f##king serious?  I can't kill somebody while intoxicated on my bike like you can in your 2000 pound coffin.  I'm only a danger to myself, that does not warrant the extreme case of giving me a DUI.  Use some logic, it'll help you.
Besides, riding a bike under the influence is much different than driving.  While biking, you're engaging your body, it forces you to stay aware.  But in a car, you're just sitting there on your ass doing nothing, it's so easy to just fall asleep or pass out.
I agree that cyclists really do need to follow the traffic laws, and I do.  I think just because someone is slower than you and doesn't have a motor, doesn't mean you need to get all high and mighty because you're in a big ass car.  It's called a SPEED LIMIT, not a SPEED MANDATE.  Again, logic.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:28:25 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 10:28:44 am »
Here in CA it is possible to get a DUI for riding a bike (or a horse for that matter) I know we're not the only state that does that. I had a friend who got a DUI because he was walking his motorcycle home on the sidewalk. No power, no nothing, just feets moving the wheels.

Cops gave him a DUI because he was operating a motor vehicle. blah.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 10:30:28 am »
Here in CA it is possible to get a DUI for riding a bike (or a horse for that matter) I know we're not the only state that does that. I had a friend who got a DUI because he was walking his motorcycle home on the sidewalk. No power, no nothing, just feets moving the wheels.

Unjust, unfair.  Thanks, coppers.  Protecting and Serving, my ass.
Jesse

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2011, 10:32:26 am »

Wow.  That's a load of crap.  He should have challenged it.  'Operating' a motor vehicle implies that the motor vehicle is in operation (i.e. Turned on). 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 10:36:22 am »

Wow.  That's a load of crap.  He should have challenged it.  'Operating' a motor vehicle implies that the motor vehicle is in operation (i.e. Turned on). 

As far as DUIs go, I could understand getting one if you're really blitzed and on a bike. If you don't wanna call it DUI then call it reckless public endangerment and public intox. Either way you don't need to be on a bike.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 10:40:01 am »
you can get a DUI for just sitting in your vehicle, keys in your pocket, sleeping...sometimes even if you're in the backseat.... its all about making $$ and 'trying' to send a msg to the public.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 10:44:11 am »
you can get a DUI for just sitting in your vehicle, keys in your pocket, sleeping...sometimes even if you're in the backseat.... its all about making $$ and 'trying' to send a msg to the public.
Oh man, don't get me going on this one.... I need to get back to work. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

ccarlson

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 10:44:37 am »

WOW that's just wrong on so many levels. Really makes you want to do the right thing when you've been drinking. As said, it's not about upholding the law, it's about making money.

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:53 am »

The message that would send me:

If you're too drunk to drive, drive anyway.  You have a chance of getting home.  DON'T take a nap in your car.  Some asshole cop could give you a DUI for trying to be responsible & safe. 

This is the reasoning cops don't understand & why it's so stupid for them to give out DUI's in situations like that. 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 11:01:55 am »

Actually, flipping someone off is considered road rage and they should be the ones going to jail. Cyclists get way too much leeway with the law. Just because they don't have a motor under them doesn't mean that they should get preferential treatment.That includes DUI.

Dude, are you f##king serious?  I can't kill somebody while intoxicated on my bike like you can in your 2000 pound coffin.  I'm only a danger to myself, that does not warrant the extreme case of giving me a DUI.  Use some logic, it'll help you.
Besides, riding a bike under the influence is much different than driving.  While biking, you're engaging your body, it forces you to stay aware.  But in a car, you're just sitting there on your ass doing nothing, it's so easy to just fall asleep or pass out.
I agree that cyclists really do need to follow the traffic laws, and I do.  I think just because someone is slower than you and doesn't have a motor, doesn't mean you need to get all high and mighty because you're in a big ass car.  It's called a SPEED LIMIT, not a SPEED MANDATE.  Again, logic.

+1 It appears that the one with the "rage" problem is ccarlson.

edit: for clarity
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:50:53 pm by maxieboy »
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

ccarlson

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 11:10:25 am »

I agree that cyclists really do need to follow the traffic laws, and I do.  I think just because someone is slower than you and doesn't have a motor, doesn't mean you need to get all high and mighty because you're in a big ass car.  It's called a SPEED LIMIT, not a SPEED MANDATE.  Again, logic.

If you don't think you can hurt/kill someone on a bike you must be riding around with training wheels on. Not only that but if you're riding drunk, and swerve into oncoming traffic, you could easily cause an accident. I can't believe that you think bicycles are so safe under all circumstances. However, the real question is why do you think bicyclists should be above the law when it comes to drinking? The roads were designed for motorists and are meant to be traveled at higher speeds.

"Dude, are you f##king serious?" With that said, I don't need to address the rage comment.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:19:22 am by ccarlson »

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 11:30:46 am »

+1 It appears that the one with the "rage" problem is the poster.
I don't bend over and take it like bicyclists are expected to.  I'm not saying a bicyclist shouldn't be treated equally, but a bicycle isn't the same as a car.  Giving someone a DUI on a bike is pointless anyway, especially if they don't own a car, like myself.  What's it going to prove?
The point of my rage is to call the attention of motorists that cyclists should be treated as another vehicle on the road.  I shouldn't have to yield to you because you're larger than I am.  I obey the traffic laws, I mind my own business, I am trying to get from point A to point B, just like you.  Treat me with respect and I shall treat you with respect.  End of argument. 
Jesse

ccarlson

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 11:37:08 am »
The point of my rage is to call the attention of motorists that cyclists should be treated as another vehicle on the road.  I shouldn't have to yield to you because you're larger than I am. 

So, you should be able to run a yield or stop sign, pull out in front of me while you're intoxicated and I should have to pay for your medical expenses, bike repair and possibly a traffic fine? I don't get that.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 11:43:11 am »
Folks...let's keep our emotions in check and stay focused on the topic at hand.

If we can't be respectful the thread will be locked.

Thank you.
Ron Price

ccarlson

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 11:49:21 am »
Sorry, I'll jump out of the thread. The thought of an exploding heart kind makes me want to lose my lunch anyway.  ;D