Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...  (Read 14462 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Exploding heart in 3, 2, 1...
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 12:10:40 pm »
This all reminds me of a lovely little line from Douglas Adams' Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul:

He stepped out on to the street, where a passing eagle swooped out of the sky at him, nearly forcing him into the path of a cyclist, who cursed and swore at him from a moral high ground that cyclists alone seem able to inhabit.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »
The point of my rage is to call the attention of motorists that cyclists should be treated as another vehicle on the road.  I shouldn't have to yield to you because you're larger than I am. 

So, you should be able to run a yield or stop sign, pull out in front of me while you're intoxicated and I should have to pay for your medical expenses, bike repair and possibly a traffic fine? I don't get that.
I did not say this AT ALL.  Like I said, I obey traffic laws and signs even when I'm riding home from the bar.  Having said that, let me say this: stop lights don't often change for cyclists, especially at night, as we aren't heavy enough to trigger the light to change.  At night, I've waited for quite a while before to go, noticing there's no cars coming from the other direction.  So, at night I treat the stop light as a stop sign, typically, if it's a low traffic stop light.  The busier intersections, the lights are timed, so it's not a big deal.  I just want acceptance, and it's not going to happen if I don't stand up and take a stand for my rights.
Jesse

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »
I accept you. I embrace you. I understand you. I don't judge.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2011, 06:53:17 pm »
Tubercle has been known to recognize a picture of a bicycle 2 out of 3 times.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 07:22:15 pm »
I accept you. I embrace you. I understand you. I don't judge.

And then I mow you down with my car when you get in my way  ;D

Just kidding.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »
This all reminds me of a lovely little line from Douglas Adams' Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul:

He stepped out on to the street, where a passing eagle swooped out of the sky at him, nearly forcing him into the path of a cyclist, who cursed and swore at him from a moral high ground that cyclists alone seem able to inhabit.

Great book.

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2011, 09:22:09 am »
The point of my rage is to call the attention of motorists that cyclists should be treated as another vehicle on the road.  I shouldn't have to yield to you because you're larger than I am. 

So, you should be able to run a yield or stop sign, pull out in front of me while you're intoxicated and I should have to pay for your medical expenses, bike repair and possibly a traffic fine? I don't get that.
I did not say this AT ALL.  Like I said, I obey traffic laws and signs even when I'm riding home from the bar.  Having said that, let me say this: stop lights don't often change for cyclists, especially at night, as we aren't heavy enough to trigger the light to change.  At night, I've waited for quite a while before to go, noticing there's no cars coming from the other direction.  So, at night I treat the stop light as a stop sign, typically, if it's a low traffic stop light.  The busier intersections, the lights are timed, so it's not a big deal.  I just want acceptance, and it's not going to happen if I don't stand up and take a stand for my rights.

I don't really think there is anger being directed at you personally, at least not by me.  That being said; There have been so many times when a person on a bike rides all the way up to a red light between the 2 lanes of traffic that are stopped and then blames the car at the front of the line for not seeing them that people start to attribute "bicyclist = idiot".  I used to ride a lot for recreation and saw this stuff all the time. 

Kudos to you for riding and following the law.  Now if all the riders (and I'm talking about some on motorcycles too here) would remember they share the road with cars too, everyone would be better off. 

It would also help if all the drivers in Des Moines would remember that red means you are now stopped, not red means 3 cars going too fast still go through, fewer really bad accidents would happen.  One of my biggest reasons for not getting back on my bike (right after laziness) is drivers in Des Mines will kill you and never even notice they ran over you.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2011, 01:51:54 pm »

I don't really think there is anger being directed at you personally, at least not by me.  That being said; There have been so many times when a person on a bike rides all the way up to a red light between the 2 lanes of traffic that are stopped and then blames the car at the front of the line for not seeing them that people start to attribute "bicyclist = idiot".  I used to ride a lot for recreation and saw this stuff all the time. 

Kudos to you for riding and following the law.  Now if all the riders (and I'm talking about some on motorcycles too here) would remember they share the road with cars too, everyone would be better off. 

It would also help if all the drivers in Des Moines would remember that red means you are now stopped, not red means 3 cars going too fast still go through, fewer really bad accidents would happen.  One of my biggest reasons for not getting back on my bike (right after laziness) is drivers in Des Mines will kill you and never even notice they ran over you.

Paul
This is what I'm saying though; those bad cyclists give people like me look bad.  And because people have this image of "all cyclists break the law" in their heads, they immediately think that when they see me riding, minding my own business, following the rules of the road, etc. and decide to treat me like s*** without any basis of whether I'm a bad cyclist or not.  I hate it.  This is why I'm so forceful in getting my point of view across.  Acceptance is all I want. 
For as many bad cyclists that are out there, there are multitudes more of bad drivers.  I see multiple bad drivers every single day.  Impatient people that just HAVE to be first and get to where they're going as fast as possible, like it's the end of the world if they don't.  In turn, it makes them look like idiots and makes good drivers look bad. 
I think it's funny that often times the people that give me the most s*** on the road are the worst drivers.  Oh the irony...they don't know just how stupid they are.
Jesse

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2011, 02:54:34 pm »
I agree with you completely.

I am currently the proud parent of a 17 year old driver, a 15 year old soon to be driver and a 13 year soon to be learning driver (and people wonder why I drink).  It's down right terrifying to think I'm sending them out in the mess we call the open road.

Ride on!  I'll try to not let any of my kids run you over.   :)

Paul

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2011, 02:56:29 pm »

Most bikers around here that I see (not all but most) seem to ignore the basic rules of the road when they become inconvenient:
-They ignore stop signs
-They ignore stop lights
-They cut off cars & then get pissed when the car they just cut off is/gets 'too close' to them
-They ride drunk as hell
-They sometimes purposely try to annoy drivers by blocking them whenever possible, riding purposely very slow in the middle of the lane, block a LONG line of cars in a right turn only lane from making their turn until the light changes & the bike moves, etc. etc. 

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Driver-Safety/Bicycle/default.htm

By Maryland law, bicycles are vehicles.  Bicyclists are authorized users of the roadway, and bicyclists have the same rights-of-way and the same duty to obey all traffic signals as motorists. But bicycles are less visible, quieter, and don’t have a protective barrier around them. Motorists should drive carefully near bicyclists; even a slight mistake can result in serious injury or even death.

Interesting, laws I thought got shot down were passed.

Also,

The bicycle has the right of way when the motor vehicle is making a turn, and you must yield to bicycle.

Interesting.  This is annoying though, because bicycles may (should and must, legally) pass on the right, i.e. they go straight to the right of a right turn lane(!).  Sometimes, motorists just don't see you.  I have full rights to blissfully pass by you without a thought; I do in fact do this quite a bit, but only cautiously, allowing the drivers to turn or making sure they're going straight across the road before proceeding, because they just might not see me.

Though, for consideration, a bicyclist is in roughly the same position as a pedestrian at the point of collision into a bicycle:  pedestrian crossing the crosswalk has right of way, and a right turn goes into the pedestrian.  However, the bicycle is faster, and approaching: the bicycle may be cut off by the motor vehicle, and actually hit the side of the car.  Bicycle may not be visible to the driver when the driver turns.  Thus the bicycle should always be prepared to yield (this is just like a car:  always have control of your vehicle, be prepared to respond to stupidity around you).

Maryland's traffic laws apply to bicycles and motor scooters. (TR § 21-1202)

Stop signs, traffic lights, etc.  I've tried to bypass this, but no luck:  when I'm stopped at red, pedestrian traffic is stopped at "Do Not Walk," and it's not legal for me to walk across the street.  So I can't get off and walk through the light, something I'd be ticketed for without a bicycle.

Still, as a bicycle, with right of way, operating under the traffic laws, when I approach an intersection where I have no stop sign I have the right to proceed without stopping.  Other vehicles routinely proceed after stopping, when they are supposed to yield to road traffic.  They're breaking the law.  This happens to me a lot going downhill at dangerous speeds; the most effective way to stop a bicycle is by locking up the front brake just enough to lift pressure off the back wheel, and doing this suddenly as a panic maneuver going down hill is excellent... if you're skilled enough.  I'm not, and can easily lose control this way (it's relatively easy to keep control, basically just hold on to the handlebars tight and don't slide forward).  Not cool.

(By the way, some folks have suggested disabling the front brakes on bicycles and motorcycles in the past; if you're wondering about this, here's the technical details.  Front brakes stop you faster because, even under rear braking, the bicycle's center of mass lurches forward and lifts the rear wheel slightly.  Combining both brakes won't stop you faster; but using the rear brake and the front brake in tandem can cause a bicycle to fishtail, something mine does regularly because I do this often.  The correct answer is to put on a helmet, find a parking lot, and learn to brake properly.)

Cyclists have a lot of rules about where they're supposed to ride.  They're also supposed to avoid impeding traffic, as any motor vehicle; even slow-moving vehicles (with the flashing triangle sign) on narrow roads are supposed to pull off to allow traffic to pass when possible (don't drive these on high-traffic, narrow, one-lane roads or the police will be angry).  At times I will ride out further in the lane than I should, mainly because I'm going the actual speed limit or a few mph faster (yes I do that) and it's hard to keep precise enough control (there's no bike lane or shoulder on these roads); this of course creates a traffic back-up behind me, since people go 40-50mph on 25mph back roads, but I actually fail to care. When I have to slow down (I'm not skilled enough to take those curves and they're blind anyway), I let them pass.  I have similar problems driving a car on that road, and have witnessed (and almost participated in) some near-fatal accidents from people trying to pass my car in the opposing lane of traffic around a blind hairpin curve (you wouldn't believe the amount of stupidity that goes into this).

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 03:26:42 pm »
You can create a monster just by taking a perfectly rational person and put him behind the wheel of a car.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2011, 03:32:24 pm »
You can create a monster just by taking a perfectly rational person and put him behind the wheel of a car.

You mean a person who rationalizes that their car is theirs, thus personal space, thus the road is personal space, and thus theirs as well?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 03:35:50 pm »
"Combining both brakes won't stop you faster"  Yeah, WRONG.  ::)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2011, 03:42:47 pm »

You mean a person who rationalizes that their car is theirs, thus personal space, thus the road is personal space, and thus theirs as well?

Of course its theirs.  During rush hour its their makeup counter, their breakfast table, their reading room and of course their personal phone booth.   ;D

Paul

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »

That's a good point. Also, perhaps that our brain and central nervous system wasn't developed to control something that big. Therefore the act pf operating a vehicle places a tremendous amount of stress on mental capacities. This results in a side-effect of fear and rage.

Conversely, I believe it is a testament of how amazing humans are that we can conceive and operate vehicles at all.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis