Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Another bad day  (Read 5273 times)

Offline mnblues

• 1st Kit
Re: Another bad day
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 07:12:31 pm »
Our lab freezers have an alarm system that auto-calls some lucy sap (me) if they fail. Might be something like that on the market.
EDIT just saw Hamilton's post. Way ahead of me!  :)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 10:27:06 am »
I think I will get one of those alert systems for my cold room where my big fermenters are. But I'll chance it on the small freezers. Thanks for pointing those out.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 02:03:39 pm »
Sorry to hear about it, Keith.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again, especially if you try out that awesome alert system.
Jesse

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 09:42:44 pm »
Sorry to hear about it too.

Would it feel better if I tell you that I have dumped my first 75 gal down the drain?
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 11:56:09 am »
No. It doesn't.

Especially after today. thought I had skated by on the 3bbl batch becuase the bottom tasted awesome. But after I ran it to the bright tanks I took another sample and it is diacetyl city. I was really bummed out because th bottom tasted so excellent. My guess is the beer closest to the yeast had all the diacetyl absorbed but the majority of the beer wasn't touched.

Gonna try to pitch some active S-189 and see if I can't clean it up but not holding out too much hope. Wouldn't be so bad had I not had to dump a previous batched before this one and had I not lost that 40 gallons from fermenting at 85. I think I have dumped more beer lately than I used to brew in an entire year.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »
It's a real expensive PITA but would expect this to happen from time to time to keep quality as priority one.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »
Sure, from time to time. But I have dumped back to back to back batches. Only one was due to infection. All the other was due to mechanical failure or negligence. And every one has been on my IPA, which is not cheap at all to brew. And we are running severely low, if not out right running out all over town. Plus we have a big brew fest coming up next month.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 12:32:46 pm »
Uh Oh! I'm sure you'll weather it. Forecast is for long days ahead.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 12:37:47 pm »
Sorry to hear the bad news again.

Running a brewery is a tough business as I witnessed from watching brewmasters. Bad batches, strained capacity and just plain bad luck can really drag the business down but hopefully you are at the end of your bad luck and will bounce back now.

Try to keep the faith Keith.   :)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 03:20:30 pm »
If you guys really want to encourage me try espousing the virtues of krauesensing.   ;)

I'm gonna pitch about 3 gallons of active S-189 into bright tanks and see if that works. Gonna have to set my cold room down to 55 degrees or so for a few days. Keeping fingers crossed and uttering prayers to beer saints.

Weirdest thing, though. Bottom of fermenter tatsted great. Top tasted thick with diacetyl. Makes sense I guess that the beer closest to the yeast was clean. The beer also appeared to be the same gravity throughout (same reading pulling from bottom as from top.) :-\

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 03:40:49 pm »
Sorry to hear about your woes.  It would be really cool if the additional yeast cleaned this one up.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 05:07:51 pm »
Hey Major....maybe some good tunes would make ya feel better. I love this one on a bad day. Heck, even a good day for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDSud7vAH_0
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 05:08:26 pm »
Krausening is da BOMB!  It'll fix ya right up!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 06:41:32 pm »
Krausening is da BOMB!  It'll fix ya right up!

I have to agree with Denny...the best thing to rid of diacetyl is active yeast.  :)
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53:56 pm »
Hey Major....maybe some good tunes would make ya feel better. I love this one on a bad day. Heck, even a good day for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDSud7vAH_0

That's the other thing that sucks ... dial up.  ::) But your prolly trying to Rick Roll me anyway.  ;)