Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Washington, D.C. area and the Delaware coast!  (Read 4369 times)

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Washington, D.C. area and the Delaware coast!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 05:56:46 am »
Well, we just arrived in Manassas last night at around 8pm.  We would have gotten in 45 minutes sooner if not for the horrible traffic on 495, we were in stop and go traffic from roughly where the Mormon temple is until after we crossed the Potomac, ugh.  We hit the DFH alehouse in Fairfax last night after we got in, it was great!  Wonderful food and some stuff on draft you don't see very often at all!  They had Red & White, Chicory Stout, Shelter Pale Ale (awesome stuff) Lawnmower and Alehouse 75 (half 60 minute half 90 minute) just to name a few.  Well worth the visit, and it was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel!

At any rate, we're headed into D.C. today!  I have a list of 3 places I plan to hit in the next two days; The Bier Baron (used to be called Brickskellar) Churchkey and Capitol City Brewing Company.  Friday we leave for Delaware, we'll be doing a brewery tour at DFH at 3:00 and probably eating dinner at the Rehobeth Beach brewpub.  There are several other eateries that looked great as well, Go Fish! and Fins Raw Bar are both on the menu.

If anyone in either area wants to meet up and trade homebrew I brought a cooler full of the stuff, don't make me take too much home! :)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 06:36:30 am »
I was just at the Dogfish Brewpub Brewpub in Rehoboth for the Madbrewers Competition on Sunday. Just missed you.

I live in Smyrna about an hour north of Rehoboth. If you happen to head north you're welcome to stop in for a some pints. I have about a dozen different beers on tap. Shoot me a pm if it works out for you.
Ron Price

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 06:13:05 pm »
We just got back 2 days ago, what a great trip!  We hit the following places while enroute;

-City Steam Brewing, Hartford, CT, went there for lunch on the way down and Dinner on the way back!  Tried all of the brews on their menu, all were excellent.  The Naughty Nurse amber ale and the American Wheat were both especially good!

-Capitol City Brewing, Washington D.C., went to both locations, the Kolsch, Hefeweizen and Amber Waves (a hoppy brown ale) were both outstanding, everything else they had was also wonderful!

-The Dogfish Head Alehouse in Fairfax, VA.  The food was great and some of the blends you can do with all the draft DFH were really neat.  My wife got a 1/2 Red and White, 1/2 Chicory Stout.  I got an Alehouse 75, 1/2  60 minute IPA and 1/2 90 minute IPA.  It was a nice mix of the crispness of the 60 minute and the floral/sweet flavor of the 90 minute.  Shelter Pale Ale on draft is outstanding, by the way.  We also had a variety of other delicious draft DFH including Sah'Tea and Theobroma, both hard to find on draft near our place in MA.

-The Bier Baron, dowtown Washington D.C., near Dupont Circle.  Great traditional bar food with some cool Bavarian twists.  I got a 21st Amendment Back in Black, a black IPA, I can't recall what my wife had.  They had an extensive collection of bottled beer from all over the world, a few hundred at least.  They were also having movie night, everyone in the restaurant was treated to watching The King's Speech!

-Last but not least by any means, Dogfish Head Brewing and Eats in Rehobeth Beach, DE.  The place was mobbed, but the service was excellent and we were treated to some truly hard to find DFH brews.  Jenna had a Red and Black, an imperial stout with a TON of mint in it.  Definitely a great slow sipping dessert beer.  I had a Zeno, a nice light Saison without much explanation on the menu.  It was definitely spiced with *something* good, I just couldn't put my finger on it.  The treat of the night was definitely the 120 minute IPA on draft.  It was truly outstanding, a bit sweeter than the bottled version I've had but it packed a hell of a punch.  Unfortunately they were out of Johnny Cask, they're 75 minute casked IPA, Noble Rot a strong saison fermented with wine grapes infected with Botrytis, and their new brew Hellhound On My Ale.  I would have loved to try all of them but alas, it was not meant to be.  We picked up a bottle of their Peanut Butter flavored vodka and a bottle of their "Jin" made with juniper berries, coriander, cucumber and something else which currently escapes me, I'll edit when I get home and check the bottle.

The DFH brewery tour was excellent, one of the best I've been on.  They also sell a lot of their bottled product on the cheap, I picked up 4 bottle of Squall for 8 bucks apiece, amongst other things!

Thanks for the advice everyone, we had an awesome vacation!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 07:48:31 pm »
Sounds like you and your wife had an ale of a vacation. Sorry I missed you but maybe next time around. Glad to hear you made it back safe.

BTW...I had a chance to sample the peanut butter vodka and was amazed at the awesome roasted peanut flavor. I don't know how Sam can pack that much peanut flavor in that bottle but he does.

I had a chance to try the 75 min IPA on cask a couple of months ago and can tell you that the hop flavor and aroma is wonderful. Fresh out of the cask is a beautiful thing.  :)
Ron Price