Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Philadelphia beer trip  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Philadelphia beer trip
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 03:54:28 pm »
All of the above are great suggestions, do no miss Monk's.  You should also stop in and see Nancy and George at Home Sweet Home brew.

The best Philly steaks are actually in New Jersey, at Big John's in cherry Hill.
Member #: 900000767

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 08:00:20 pm »
To revive an old thread. My trip is in a week. Plan on hitting Monks for lunch. To my pleasant surprise, it's also Philly Beer Week next week. As I said earlier, we are going to a ballgame on the 9th. My main question, outside of where else to visit for special beer week events, is should I carry my handgun in downtown Philly? It's a pain in the ass to fly with it, but I'm current law enforcement so I can carry anywhere. We'd be walking from the ballpark after the game back to our car, which will probably be left at some all-day parking lot closer to the Liberty Bell and Monks.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:04:08 pm by Robert »
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 10:54:05 pm »
My main question, outside of where else to visit for special beer week events, is should I carry my handgun in downtown Philly?

Philly areas breweries to look for are Sly Fox, Yards and Nodding Head. You might also find Flying Fish (NJ) and some Dogfish Head oddities.

Good web sites:

Mid-Atlantic Brewing News (http://www.brewingnews.com/mid-atlantic/)

Philly Beer Week (http://www.phillybeerweek.org/)

The touristy areas of Philly are reasonably safe from violent crime, IME, although it's been a few years since I've visited. The hairy areas are/were West and North Philly and that's not where the bars or attractions are. Anyhow, most of the violent crime is between people who know each other, rather than random attacks on visitors.

I'm not a cop or a lawyer, but it just seems like common sense to research the local gun laws; perhaps talk with your department or the Philadelphia PD. Pennsylvania has some weird laws, so there might be oddities about carrying there. Presumably, professional police forums or the NRA web site will give better advice than you'll get here.

Given that you'll be going into bars, stadiums and other private property where they might have restrictions on carrying, my gut instinct is to leave the gun at home. If you "look like a cop" even out of uniform, I can't imagine anyone hassling you. In any case, your most valuable weapons when confronted with most crimes is common sense and a cell phone.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 07:00:31 am »
I'm actually headed to Philly today for the start of "Philly Beer Week". Our first stop will be at Monk's for lunch then we're off to Nodding Head and The Devil's Den. Time permitting we may make more stops.
Ron Price

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 07:05:05 am »
My main question, outside of where else to visit for special beer week events, is should I carry my handgun in downtown Philly?

Philly areas breweries to look for are Sly Fox, Yards and Nodding Head. You might also find Flying Fish (NJ) and some Dogfish Head oddities.

Good web sites:

Mid-Atlantic Brewing News (http://www.brewingnews.com/mid-atlantic/)

Philly Beer Week (http://www.phillybeerweek.org/)

The touristy areas of Philly are reasonably safe from violent crime, IME, although it's been a few years since I've visited. The hairy areas are/were West and North Philly and that's not where the bars or attractions are. Anyhow, most of the violent crime is between people who know each other, rather than random attacks on visitors.

I'm not a cop or a lawyer, but it just seems like common sense to research the local gun laws; perhaps talk with your department or the Philadelphia PD. Pennsylvania has some weird laws, so there might be oddities about carrying there. Presumably, professional police forums or the NRA web site will give better advice than you'll get here.

Given that you'll be going into bars, stadiums and other private property where they might have restrictions on carrying, my gut instinct is to leave the gun at home. If you "look like a cop" even out of uniform, I can't imagine anyone hassling you. In any case, your most valuable weapons when confronted with most crimes is common sense and a cell phone.

Thanks. Citizen's Bank Park has a no-carry rule unless you're on duty. I doubt my city will pay me overtime. I may end up parking the rental down near the ballpark and walking to the Liberty Bell during daylight hours that way i have less of a walk back to the car after the game.

And I've been breing for 5 years now and behind a desk for the last 2. I'm starting to lose that "cop" look.... 8)
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 02:01:59 pm »
Thanks. Citizen's Bank Park has a no-carry rule unless you're on duty. I doubt my city will pay me overtime. I may end up parking the rental down near the ballpark and walking to the Liberty Bell during daylight hours that way i have less of a walk back to the car after the game.

It's a bit late, but Philly actually has a decent public transit system. You might park your car somewhat away from the ball park and take a bus or train to and from the stadium.

And I've been brewing for 5 years now and behind a desk for the last 2. I'm starting to lose that "cop" look.... 8)

It's not just the muscles, it's usually the haircut (a bit longer than currently fashionable in the military, but still very short, with a nod towards "high and tight") and certainly the posture, the awareness of surroundings, a certain cautiousness, and the "I'm in charge here" attitude. Even out of uniform (or undercover, unfortunately) it's hard for some guys to turn off. Anyhow, given that your average dirtbag has a keenly developed cop detection sense, I have a feeling that in the odd event that you run into potential trouble, the bad guys will pass you by in favor of easier pickings.

Anyhow, I hope you have a great time in Philly!

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 05:29:25 pm »

... Philly actually has a decent public transit system. You might park your car somewhat away from the ball park and take a bus or train to and from the stadium.

Anyhow, I hope you have a great time in Philly!

+1
It helps to have a friend help figure out the Public transportation system, but after 3 days in Philly, I ventured out on my own with minimal difficulty. And that was my first time on a major metro transport system.
There is a train takes you right to Citizens Park. It was full of Red to and from the game.  ;)

Edited to add: I am jealous of those of you going to Monks!
Tulsa, OK