Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sometimes, unplanned events help us brew  (Read 1550 times)

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
Sometimes, unplanned events help us brew
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:46:56 pm »
In mid February, I brewed 10 gallons each of my standard Amber and a RIS.  I was just about to get both into a keg, and ended up in the hospital for three weeks.  (eeeek!, I'm all better now)

Anyway, I got my girlfriend to keg it for me, but as she didn't know how to carbonate, we just left it at about 40 degrees in the keg for a month.  Finally carbonated and low and behold, the Amber is terrific.  I brewed the RIS for a friend, and they really raved about it.  (not my style, so I don't know) 

Anyway, hopefully this will teach me some patience.  (probably not) 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Sometimes, unplanned events help us brew
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »
Wow. Three weeks. Must have been pretty sick man. Glad you're out and better now.

The GF sounds like a keeper. If she can figure out how to carbonate she might be marriage material. ;)

At 40f the beer sounds like it was in great conditioning conditions. Got a special name for the brew?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:04:22 pm »
I call my Amber, "Agnew Amber" after a small town near my place.  First time on the RIS, so no real name other than "Recipe from BCS"  LOL. 

(yea, 3 weeks was a long time.  Modern medicine is amazing, I'm brewing again for the first time on Saturday)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:16:54 am »
Nothing like a little aging on a malt-forward beer to really bring the malt characters out cleanly.  Glad to hear you got some help in your time of need.

Maybe call your RIS ICU?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:01:30 pm »
Nothing like a little aging on a malt-forward beer to really bring the malt characters out cleanly.  Glad to hear you got some help in your time of need.

Maybe call your RIS ICU?

Good idea.  but that does bring up the question.  And I asked because I've never been able to really age my beers.  Is it better to age carbonated or not?  Does it matter?