Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Doctor I have this friend.....  (Read 12201 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: Doctor I have this friend.....
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 07:31:51 am »
Yeah, but it doesn't work with the animals. :)

Precisely. I refrained but now that it's out there... it's only for the owner. Crate train, nuff said.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline aubeertine31

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:22:23 am »
Also, I was just doing some reading on it and while I can't comment on the validity of this article, they say bleach does NOT kill mold.

Hmm...while reading your post, I was thinking, well bleach kills everything. Interesting article though, and you're right, can't say for sure on the validity of it. It almost sounds reasonable because the chlorine evaporates very quickly, although I think it would leave more than just water. To be sure I think I would check with an expert, someone who does mold removal for a living. Although, during my last bottling attempt I used old bottles with definite mold spots and I bleached the hell out of them and they worked fine. I just always remember to use the coldest water possible when using bleach (and gloves haha).
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
-Frank Sinatra

jaybeerman

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 12:55:31 pm »
Also, I was just doing some reading on it and while I can't comment on the validity of this article, they say bleach does NOT kill mold.

the key word in that article is the word "black."  

<edit> meaning, it doesn’t pertain to brewing therefore ignore it
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:24:29 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 01:12:02 pm »
The Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) disagrees.  They reccommend using a bleach solution for removing black mold (Stachybotrys chartarum).

and this:

More CDC information on black mold
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:19:49 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

beveragebob

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 01:16:22 pm »
Sure it's not hop pellet residue floating on top of the krausen?

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 03:07:10 pm »
Mold.

But taste it before you dump it.  It's the best way to learn from your mistakes. ;) ;D

i know you're kidding but make sure he's not allergic to penicillin before doing that :)
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 05:37:34 pm »
Mold.

But taste it before you dump it.  It's the best way to learn from your mistakes. ;) ;D

i know you're kidding but make sure he's not allergic to penicillin before doing that :)
I'm really not kidding, I taste all of my mistakes. ;)  You make a good point though, it might not be a penicillium but if you aren't sure and have an allergy then don't.  Find someone else to taste it and describe it to you. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline timberati

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norm
    • Batch-22
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »
Mold.

I'm really not kidding, I taste all of my mistakes. ;)  You make a good point though, it might not be a penicillium but if you aren't sure and have an allergy then don't.  Find someone else to taste it and describe it to you. ;D
Gordon Strong has an article along these lines in the Mar-Apr 2010 issue of Brew Your Own, "Be your own best critic: How judging your own beer can improve your brewing."  In a sidebar of the article he lists "common beer faults." Under Contamination he writes, "Contaminating microorganisms can cause a variety of off flavors, aromas, and mouthfuls…Although there are a number of different bacteria and yeast that contaminate wort or beer, the corrective measure is the same in all cases-clean your brewing equipment and environment thoroughly and sanitize any piece of brewing equipment that will come in contact with the chilled wort or beer. Likewise do not repitch yeast following a contaminated batch."
Cervesariis Feliciter
Batch-22 http://52beers.wordpress.com/
Twitter: timberati

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 06:35:57 pm »
Contaminating microorganisms can cause a variety of off flavors, aromas, and mouthfuls…

It's the mouthful of stuff going the other direction that I'd be worried about.  :P

I listened to a BN podcast with the owner of StarSan, he said that bleach would not kill many larger microorganisms unless acidified.  But adding acid to bleach is not something you want to do at home without a gas mask (isn't that how you make mustard gas or something?).  nononononono.

I have read of another homebrewer, can't remember where, that had mold in his ventilation system that constantly infected his brews.  He had to switch to a system that was completely closed post-boil, using CO2 to transfer between vessels.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 09:29:40 pm »
It's ammonia and bleach that you don't want to mix unless you're trying to recreate trench warfare.  Read the backs of those bottles for the warnings.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline punatic

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 09:36:52 pm »
If your intention is to generate chlorine gas you're spot on.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 12:04:15 am »
I remember a podcast where they talked about acidifying bleach water.  You add bleach or vinegar to water, mix well, then add the other one.  You don't want to add bleach to vinegar or vinegar to bleach, then add the water.  Basic Brewing Radio I think.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 12:47:14 pm »
OK, we're getting to the bottom of this....

First, my friend is not a "read the instructions guy"... I told him which books to buy, he hasn't read them yet. I asked him which yeast he used, he didn't know. I asked him what the OG was and what it is now, he doesn't know..... <beating head against wall>

But, here's what happened. It was a kit. I doubt that the "Czech Pilsner" kit had a lager yeast in it. Probably a German ale yeast to simulate the pseudo sort of almost pilsner. He stuck it in a basement closet which is at about 52º. I suspect the yeast took a nap, and the other bugs took over.

Now, he has racked it from under the "fuzz layer" into a carboy and put it on the counter top in the kitchen. 68º-ish. Lo and behold a vigorous fermentation is taking place which confirms my theory.

Now, I asked him how it tasted, he said: (you guessed it) I don't know.

So whether this beer will survive is still up in the air.

At least he's a halfway decent drummer.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline punatic

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 01:03:40 pm »

Like this?  (I love this video short!)

Baby's First Audition

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 01:04:58 pm »

a drummer?  As a bass player for the last 45 years, let me just say...

That explains everything!

What does a drummer do to park in a handicapped spot?
Leaves his drumsticks on the dashboard.

How do you know the stage is level?
The drummer drools out of both sides of his mouth.

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?
Homeless.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell