Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/15 edition  (Read 6520 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 4/15 edition
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 01:37:28 pm »
Dry hopping a DC RIPA and an all Centennial IPA. If my brown malt gets here, brewing Bll Pierce's Rootin Tootin Rasputin so I'll have a properly aged RIS for the winter.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 01:44:30 pm »
I'll be brewing my 1st batch on my new 1/2 bbl system!!! 10 gal of Big Wheel Brown Ale.  The name is an ode to my big brother Brian who I lost almost 2 weeks ago.  We always used to ride "Big Wheels" in the driveway as kids and He was the one that suggested we start brewing our own beer.  He loved good beer.  He quit brewing with me along time ago and moved away.  It's gonna be kinda bittersweet, but I know he'll be there with me on Sat. to help me brew once more.  Love you Bro!!
-J.K.L.   
Hey man, right on.  Sorry to hear about your brother, I'm sure he'd be delighted to have the beer named in his honor.

I won't be brewing this weekend, I don't think.  I need to make another bulk grain order for base malt; until then, I'll be unable to brew.  It's okay though, I've got plenty of beer in the pipeline.
Jesse

Offline pfooti

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 03:29:27 pm »
Brewing an oatmeal stout, dry-hopping the IPA I brewed last weekend.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 07:08:57 pm »
Münchener Helles
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 06:13:20 am »
Probably going to keg an APA, but I don't foresee much brewing time this weekend.
Mark Gres

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 06:55:26 am »
My best man is visiting from Philly, I'm going to try doing a hefeweizen with him.  It's his favorite style!  He'll also be helping me plant a hop yard.  It's a little late in the season to get them in the ground but hey, better late than never!

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 07:03:56 am »
Saturday will be helping my neighbor break in his mash tun for his first all-grain.

Sunday will be planting my 40 HOP RHYZOMES at my friend's organic farm ;D
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 08:30:24 am »
No brewing, Saturday will be a run around day.  Sunday we will be working the garden.  A buddy of mine gave me water bath type chiller that I'm going to use for a fermentation chamber.  Basically a copper coil heat exchanger that will wrap around the fermenter, with insulation around it.  It has a programmable thermostat on it, pretty slick, should work well.  So I may build that this weekend as well, then make a lager starter for next weekends Easter Helles brew.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 10:00:05 am »
Doing a Dunkel/Alt, 10 gallons, split into 2 batches, one lager, the other my first shot at WY1007 yeast.  I'm really excited about trying this yeast, after you guys recommending it so highly.  The malt build is 47% Munich, 23% Pilsner, 23% Vienna, and 2.3% each of Caraffa Special, Roasted Barley, and Special B.  The SRM calculates at 23, which is a little dark for Alt, but within Dunkel parameters.  What I'm really hoping for is to fall in love with WY1007 as a dark ale yeast, and that I might favor it over using English or American ale yeasts for dark ales.  Getting set up tonight, and brewing all day tomorrow.  Yousa!
Kirk Howell

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 12:24:03 pm »
Have guests this weekend, so moved my brew session up to last night an brewed an Imperial Stout which I pitched on the yeast cake from my ESB.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline miguelpanderland

• Cellarman
  • Glendale, WI
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 06:40:41 pm »
More dunkelweizen.

The dunkel brew from a couple weeks ago will turn out ok, but not great.  I simplified the grist and did a double decoction.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »
I'll be brewing my 1st batch on my new 1/2 bbl system!!! 10 gal of Big Wheel Brown Ale.  The name is an ode to my big brother Brian who I lost almost 2 weeks ago.  We always used to ride "Big Wheels" in the driveway as kids and He was the one that suggested we start brewing our own beer.  He loved good beer.  He quit brewing with me along time ago and moved away.  It's gonna be kinda bittersweet, but I know he'll be there with me on Sat. to help me brew once more.  Love you Bro!!
-J.K.L.   

Sorry about your brother, JKL. A brew day is a nice way to reconnect with good memories about him.  The name is perfect--I know he'd love it.

No brewing for me this weekend...too much take-home work for Sat/Sun... but an overnight trip to Santa Cruz included a quick side visit to Seven Bridges LHBS, where I picked up misc supplies for bottling an English barleywine and my upcoming Two-Hearted Ale clone. I like how every LHBS has its own personality.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 07:05:54 pm »
A hoppy, strong Weissbier, ala Brooklyn/Schneider Weisse, with Palisades and Amarillo.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »
Brewed Herman Holtrop's Rochefort clone for the beer that will go into the solera after my next harvest from same.
Hit all the numbers and got a promising looking wert from the BK.

I love that mashwater software from John(plctech)   ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline jhnnyschmidt

• 1st Kit
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 09:43:47 pm »
Hello, everyone, I am a newbie to this forum. I just got my AHA card in the mail today. 8) I will be kegging a batch of Brown Porter and brewing an English pale ale on Sunday. While I do that I will be drinking a few out of the Amber ale I have on tap.