Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
Re: Knives
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2011, 10:04:59 pm »
+1 on the Ginsu

Ya'll sure are a buncha fancy boys  ;D

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2011, 10:17:57 pm »
+1 on the Ginsu

You best been smilin' when you wrote that.   :)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 07:17:57 am »
+1 on the Ginsu

LOL, SBD dropping by for a dive bombing! 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_SBD_Dauntless

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 10:16:12 am »
I use this type of stone to sharpen my knives by hand. IMO one still needs a finer grit "Arkansas" type stone to really finish honing a blade, but even so I can shave the hairs off my arm with just a few firm passes on each side. No angle guides. It's all by feel and experience.

+1 punatic- if one has knives then a good "steel" to complete the sharpening efforts is a must. Often, a blade doesn't need sharpening- just a few strokes on the steel and the edge is back.

Eventually, I'll get some real fancy knives as a present to myself. I like the Damascus folded steel look- so that'll be a criteria in the purchase. Bought all my current knives singly and have less than $125 invested in total.
Euge, that is weird that you would put that pic up as I just last week took a tour of
the facility in Hot Springs Arkansas where those are manufactured. I met the Boss
and even got a nice sample of the material that these come from. Of interest and
off topic is that this material is also a flint knapperā€™s joy to work with not the coarse
grit stone, but the stuff that resembles porcelain.

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline SwashBuckling Drunk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Boring, Oregon
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 01:37:42 pm »
Yeah, I'm smiling.  We just use whatever cheap ass knives we have layin around.  They actually do cut stuff.

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 07:17:31 am »
I've always wanted to buy a Japanese wet stone but I've never had the $$$ available.  After all this, I want to go buy more knives.

Naniwa stones aren't THAT expensive.  Look on the straight razor sites and on eBay.  The highest grits cost like $80 or $100, and lower grit costs $30ish.

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37

it's $90 for a 3000/8000 grit combo stone.  :)

Of course these are synthetic.  If you're talking about JNAT, yeah you're gonna be shelling some cash out; mayhaps a Coticule instead, though I would probably go for a JNAT (only because I don't have the skill to take full advantage of a Coticule).

I learned early on that buying quality tools is more economical than buying cheap ones.

I didn't.  My parents are full in the Wal-Mart scam, buy the cheapest crap they can (if it looks the same, it's the same thing), except for my mom's Keureg coffee machine (so-so coffee, expensive machine; I recommended a $40 Bordin french press and a $20 grinder instead of this $200 monster) and the endless amounts of organic Whole Foods fruit she juices in $60 machines that break every 3 months (I recommend a $200 juice machine, and what do they do?  Spend $200/year on machines that keep breaking).

I've turned into the rich boy of the family, and they complain I get paid like a pauper but try to live like a king.  So far I have a $450 bicycle (mom just got another $60 Wal-Mart bike; I need to buy chain lube), $150 pair of Bellville Boots, $100 pair of New Balance shoes, hell I spent $50 on a cast iron tea pot....  The bike I can sell for $200-ish in a few years if I want a new one, and I'll keep it well maintained (might be able to get $350; I got it on clearance, it's $600 normally and $850 MSRP).  The boots will probably last forever, and the shoes... every pair of shoes my parents ever bought me had the soles falling off by now, but they were canvas etc and I've been going with leather lately (and polishing the damn things at least once a month).

I spend a lot of money to avoid the stupid revolving door syndrome.  Sometimes I spend a little more to satisfy a desire for a little luxury (my boots aren't exactly baseline, either; they're Belleville 770).  When I started buying expensive toys, I suddenly stopped living paycheck to paycheck.

going out and dropping a wad of cash on a "name brand", professional-grade knife isn't necessary at all.  I totally agree that there's "pennywise and pound foolish" - that cheap tools will last for the job and good tools last a lifetime - but I also believe you rapidly hit a point of diminishing returns when you buy professional equipment for home use. 

Of course :)  I do like my Japanese (and Swedish!) steel, though.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:33:49 am by bluefoxicy »

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 10:12:52 pm »
i was going to start a new thread but for some reason, i can't. so anyway our 7th year hosting a teenager from solingen germany, no knives this year but I did get this really cool beer stein.  unsure if i should use it.
http://www.steincenter.com/stein/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=881&idcategory=45
Don AHA member

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2011, 03:05:56 pm »
So, I got the knife.

Holy crap I made fajitas, and it's so damn sharp!  That thing passed through a bell pepper like it didn't exist, and it slices meat in one go.  The bevel is 16 degrees, double grind (I wanted a single grind i.e. chisel grind, flat on one side and 16 degrees on the other), while a western chef's knife is 30 degrees, double grind.  My straight razors are 13.5 degrees, double grind; razor sharp, literally.

Going very, very slowly with this, and practicing.  It's one of those things.

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »
Be careful.
Member #: 900000767