Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian saison  (Read 10358 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: Belgian saison
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 09:49:09 am »
OOQ? nope, but at the same time I would fret it too much. Just give it a little more time and see.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluedog

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 07:51:46 am »
50 days in the primary fermenter - SG is at 1.009.  No airlock activity and it is starting to clear. I am racking it tonight. For sure this is the longest I have ever waited on a primary - hopefully the results will be good.   

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 11:43:36 am »
So how low should I expect this to go. My OG was 1.070 and is currently at 1.013. I am patient, but are single digits out of the question with this starting gravity?

Let the yeast decide when they're finished. I would give it another week and check the gravity. When you get 2-3 consecutive gravity readings...it's done.

Being clear is a sure sign that it's done.
Ron Price

narvin

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 03:35:15 pm »
Looks like you are almost there  :)

One thing I would say is that an OG of 1.070 is high for a traditional Saison... you are pushing 8%+ and this is more in line with Dupont Moinette and other "Super" Saisons.  You would have a much easier and quicker time getting it to finish low (1.004 - 1.006) if you started around 1.055 - 1.060.

My current all-malt Saison had an OG of 1.057.  I just checked the gravity this morning, 6 days after brewing and it's under 1.008.  I used WLP565, mashed long and low and have been fermenting at 85+.