Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Storing fermenters and kegs in sanitizer (starsan) Should you?  (Read 8032 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
So after reading a few posts, forgot which forum it was,  I wondered something.  I always store my empty kegs under pressure with a little Starsan solution in them.  My empty fermenters as well.  (I have glass and plastic carboys, better bottles)

Some people say you shouldn't store anything in sanitizer.  Is this true?  They say it breaks down the material.  Well my Starsan arrived at my house, full strength, in a plastic bottle, is it not ok to dillute it and leave it in a fermenter/keg (glass, plastic, Stainless steel)?? 

Or am I just finding something else to obsess over?!! ???
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: Storing fermenters and kegs in sanitizer (starsan) Should you?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:01:46 pm »
If you use distilled water, it is no problem.  I know people mix their sanitizer and keep it in a spare keg and pull off what they need.

If you use your regular water, the minerals in there may affect the SS over time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:03:41 pm by theDarkSide »
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:06:33 pm »
I always store my empty kegs under pressure with a little Starsan solution in them.  My empty fermenters as well.  (I have glass and plastic carboys, better bottles)

Personally, I prefer to store mine dry.  In any case, I wouldn't store carboys under pressure, though :)
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:09:18 pm »
I guess I wonder why you store them with StarSan in them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:22:19 pm »
I thought that went without saying, but, I guess so I don't have to sanitize them when I want to keg something.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 12:30:19 pm »
I thought that went without saying, but, I guess so I don't have to sanitize them when I want to keg something.

Sanitize. Empty. Seal. Pressurize. Store until needed. No need to keep the sanitizer in the kegs. I don't see the benefit of keeping the solution in the kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:43:25 pm »
I store some kegs filled with StarSan. I typically only have two or three filled and I do it not for the sanitizing of kegs, but long term storage of sanitizer. My water is very low in salts and minerals and still maintains the proper pH after several months. After a soak in PBW, I rinse, push the StarSan over with CO2, then seal the old storage kegs.
But I would like to know if it causes long term damage.

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 01:56:20 pm »

Sanitize. Empty. Seal. Pressurize. Store until needed. No need to keep the sanitizer in the kegs. I don't see the benefit of keeping the solution in the kegs.
Euge, why do you think it is necessary to pressurize to store the legs?
Member #: 900000767

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:30:06 pm »
I do about half the time and it's just a few psi. Mainly so I know the seals are good. Not necessary though.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 02:49:29 pm »
I store my StarSan in a sealed plastic bucket. 

I also store my empty kegs under pressure just so I know if I have a slow leak.  I sanitize them before I seal them up so I don't have to on the day I use them.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 03:05:06 pm »

Euge, why do you think it is necessary to pressurize to store the legs?

I'll tell you why I do. So they're ready to go when you need them. Sanitized and purged w/ CO2(push sanitizing solution out with CO2). Burp the relief valve to verify it held pressure and go!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 03:23:46 pm »
I don't pre sanitize, but I do store under pressure.  If I go to use a keg and it has no pressure on it, I know it's leaky before I use it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 03:46:58 pm »

I like this method as well. Inside is clean and sanitized, you know right away if you have a leak if there's no pressure to release. I just spray a little SS on the posts and we're ready to keg!
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 03:49:55 pm »
I like to keep a couple gallons of starsan in the carboys if it's relatively fresh and clear. You can get several uses out of the stuff and make it last.  The brewmistress on the other hand... she get's a little dump happy if not supervised. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »
I guess my kegs are more reliable than most?

@Euge--fair enough.
Member #: 900000767