Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Style DME (barley & rice mixed)  (Read 2113 times)

Offline popeye

• 1st Kit
American Style DME (barley & rice mixed)
« on: April 12, 2011, 08:57:44 am »
Has anyone used this, a buddy ask me to make a beer akin to bud or miller in color. Would this work? Is there anything special to do because of the rice? This is only my 4th batch and I am making for someone so I don't want to screw it up.

BT

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: American Style DME (barley & rice mixed)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 09:34:31 am »
I've never heard of the stuff, but it would seem to be what you need.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 09:43:55 am »
As for anything special - nope, you should be good. Just dump and stir. That's one of the beauties of extract.

One of my favorite recipes to give people right off the bat is the "Dead Simple Hefeweizen" recipe (another brewer pointed out the idea to me - it is awesome). It takes advantage of the fact that Wheat DME has the right ratio of Wheat and Barley - so pour, stir, ferment
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline popeye

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 12:22:50 pm »
Thank you for the input, hope to brew it this weekend we will see how it turns out.

BT

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 01:02:14 pm »
i may have to try that dead simple hefe. i remember thinking that when i read your book. now get off my lazy ass and ...
Don AHA member

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 02:13:35 pm »
i may have to try that dead simple hefe. i remember thinking that when i read your book. now get off my lazy ass and ...

Go for it.  And maybe, when you do, you can solve the "1.6 pound mystery" :)
Joe

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 06:09:36 pm »
I wouldn't try a lager for my first several batches, but maybe you could do a lager-like ale, like a cream ale, with that extract... Something 100% that DME up to about 1.048 and fermented with US-05 (with about 20 IBU worth of a neutral noble-type like Magnum or Mt. Hood at 60 min) would probably do the trick.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:25 am »
I think the product has less value than buying regular extra-light DME and adding sugar as your adjunct.  Why pay $4/lb for rice sugar?  Its pretty well neutral.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline popeye

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:30:27 am »
I wouldn't try a lager for my first several batches, but maybe you could do a lager-like ale, like a cream ale, with that extract... Something 100% that DME up to about 1.048 and fermented with US-05 (with about 20 IBU worth of a neutral noble-type like Magnum or Mt. Hood at 60 min) would probably do the trick.

I plan on it being an ale, about 1.050 and ferment with Wyeast American Liquid Ale Yeast #1056, and Cascade at 60, 15, and 0.
I look forward to trying a lager as I grew up in Pottsville PA and drank Yuengling and like lagers.

BT

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 11:21:34 am »
I'd brew that batch one time.  If you get any negative responses forget trying it again and brew something YOU like.  I wasted a lot of time when I first started brewing trying to please other people (the ones that drank industrial beers).  Not being the brightest  individual, this went on for some years and when I realized that to brew something that tasted essentially like nothing required a lot more equipment than I had, I finally gave up and brew IPA's.  I'm very happy. You may be doing this for other reasons so let it be and most of all HAVE FUN!