Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wort to hot when pitcing yeast  (Read 9890 times)

Offline 2lbrew

• 1st Kit
Wort to hot when pitcing yeast
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:10 pm »
I was wondering what happens when you put yeast into carboy with wort when it is to warm? How long should I expect a Oatmeal Chocolate Stout to start fermenting? Thanks!

2L

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Re: Wort to hot when pitcing yeast
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:06:49 pm »
You might have killed the yeast if you pitched too hot.  What temp did you pitch? Could be you shocked the yeast. It might take a few days to see activity, especially if you didn't use a starter.
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:50 am »
Since most yeast can tolerate temps into the low 100s the problem most likely won't be dead yeast, but rather the yeast creating unwanted flavors in your beer. Warm fermentation and pitching temps can create lots of off flavors. You should get in the habit of cooling your wort down to at least 70 degrees before pitching, and preferably much cooler. Fermentation temp, including pitching temp, is extremely important in the end quality of beer. For most ale yeast you don't want the fermentation temp (which can be as much as 6-8 degrees or more over ambient temp) to be much warmer than 68-70 (72 at the highest). Since fermentation generates heat its a good idea to pitch 4-6 degrees cooler than you plan on fermenting. So if your planned fermentation temp is 68, pitch at 62-64.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 06:45:33 am by majorvices »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:03:28 am »
Since most yeast can tolerate temps into the low 100s the problem most likely won't be dead yeast, but rather the yeast creating unwanted flavors in your beer. Warm fermentation and pitching temps can create lots of off flavors. You should get in the habit of cooling your wort down to at least 70 degrees before pitching, and preferably much cooler. Fermentation temp, including pitching temp, is extremely important in the end quality of beer. For most ale yeast you don't want the fermentation temp (which can be as much as 6-8 degrees or more over ambient temp) to be much warmer than 68-70 (72 at the highest). Since fermentation generates heat its a good idea to pitch 4-6 degrees cooler than you plan on fermenting. So if your planned fermentation temp is 68, pitch at 62-64.

+1

I like to pitch my ales in the low 60's and lagers in the mid 40's as a general ROT.
Ron Price

Offline 2lbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:32:08 pm »
Thank you for the information. Still no action 48 hours later. If I put a new yeast vial in will that help to get the process going or am I just S.O.L. here.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:49:23 pm »
48 hours when you don't use a starter isn't too unusual.  But it's not going to hurt to add more yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 07:05:51 pm »
But it's not going to hurt to add more yeast.

Except for the hurt to the wallet :)
Joe

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:14:08 am »
If you are not going to use a starter for liquid yeast its probably best to stick with dry yeast. No starter is needed (or recommended) with dry yeast. Also it is good insurance to have a couple packets on hand just in case of emergencies. I particularly like US-05 American Ale dry yeast. Very clean fermenter, easy to use and quire robust and durable.

For information on how much yeast you need to pitch/how big a starter you need for each batch check out the pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com