Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for Feedback on an Orange Blossom Cream Ale  (Read 3880 times)

Offline stonepigbrewing

• 1st Kit
Looking for Feedback on an Orange Blossom Cream Ale
« on: April 14, 2011, 06:18:15 am »
I am primarily and extract brewer and was looking to make an Orange Blossom Cream Ale for my wife.  She is fond of the Buffalo Bill Orange Blossom Cream Ale so I am trying to make something similar.  This is my first attempt at creating a recipe and I would appreciate some feedback to let me know if I am on the right track.  Here is what I have so far:

Fermentables
Extract - Light Dried Malt Extract 3lb 5oz (52.4 %) End Of Boil
Extract - Briess Pilsen Light DME 1lb 0oz (15.9 %) End Of Boil
Sugar - Orange Blossom Honey 2lb 0oz (31.7 %) End Of Boil

Hops
US Liberty (4.5 % alpha) 28 g Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
US Liberty (4.5 % alpha) 14 g Loose Pellet Hops used 5 Min From End

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056-American Ale

I was also thinking about dry hopping with Orange Zest for aroma

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Looking for Feedback on an Orange Blossom Cream Ale
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:16:28 am »
If you add honey to the boil and let it go through primary fermentation, you'll likely lose any aromatics from it if that's an issue for you.  You might want to think about adding it to secondary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:44:56 am »
I add honey at about 10m and it always comes thru in the finished product. If you've read up on how he makes that beer he is actually using the blossoms (flowers)...don't remember exactly how he did it but hes not adding zest as far as I can remember... if you're looking for a orange/honey flavored brew, you can throw some zest in or add this when pouring a glass:
http://www.davincigourmet.com/products/product_details/?productID=238

I would also boil the extract at least 20min.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:16:43 am »
If I read this right, you'll be boiling the 60 minute hop addition in plain water?  Generally you want to boil the hops in at least a little bit of wort, so I'd add the pilsen DME at 60 minutes, and the rest of the DME at 20 minutes as EHall suggested.  Rather than zest, see if you can get your hands on some orange blossom water and add it to secondary.
http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=21278
Tom Schmidlin

Offline stonepigbrewing

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 11:07:33 am »
Great suggestions.... Thanks for the feedback! 

@Denny
I had a similar concern about the honey, but thought I would use it primarily to provide flavor and then use the oils in the orange zest to provide the aroma.

@Ehall
Thanks for the tip about the honey, I don't usually brew with it.  I also thought about using orange blossom extract or water, but when I looked at the Buffalo Bill Brewery site it said they also use sweet orange peel.  I thought maybe the zest was contributing the aroma while the blossom was helping with flavor depending on what type of honey they were using.  I should have clarified that I planned on doing the DME additions @ 20 minutes.

@tschmidlin
You are correct I was planning on doing a full 6 gallon boil with the 60 minute hop addition in plain water.  That is a good tip about adding the smaller amount of Pilsner DME up front.  I will also look into the Orange Blossom water.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:42 am »
Re: Orange Blossoms. Good luck finding any of those. I looked everywhere and couldn't find them.

Re: Orange Blossom water. I have been looking for a reliable source for that stuff. Tom, have you tried it in a batch? If so, how much per 5 gal. do you add?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:16:39 am »
Tom, have you tried it in a batch? If so, how much per 5 gal. do you add?
I haven't used it in a beer.  I got it with the intention of using it in a mead, but didn't get to it.  I've only used it in tea and I cooked with it once (can't remember what - might have been couscous).
Tom Schmidlin