Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where to buy gas? (Seattle east side)  (Read 7864 times)

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
Where to buy gas? (Seattle east side)
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:46:35 am »
I'm looking for a shop that sells CO2 tanks/gas in the Redmond/Bellevue area. LHBS only sells 5-pound tanks and their "refill" program is a tank exchange. I'm looking for something larger—on the order of 10 or 20 pounds—and a place where I can take my tank that I've taken good care of and have it filled for me instead of swapping it for whatever they have on hand. If they also sell nitrogen for if/when I try doing a stout, so much the better.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Where to buy gas? (Seattle east side)
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:35:12 pm »
Sorry, I swap instead of filling.  I go to Central Welding over by the Redmond Home Depot.  I like that I can get a tank instantly and not have to come back, and they will put the bev gas mix in CO2 tanks so I don't need a different regulator to do nitro pours.

If you find a good place that fills let me know, there's always someone looking for it and I don't know of any.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:40:01 pm »
I just got off the phone with Central Welding, and the guy told me that the only two fill plants he knows of in the area are in Tacoma and Marysville/Smokey Point. Anywhere else is going to be a tank exchange or a fill-and-return, which would mean a second trip to the shop to pick it up.

I guess I'll just go with the swap plan and trust that they won't give me a faulty tank. Now I just need to scrounge up $130 to buy one in the first place...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 12:46:59 pm »
I guess I'll just go with the swap plan and trust that they won't give me a faulty tank. Now I just need to scrounge up $130 to buy one in the first place...
He told you he needs $130 for a deposit on a 20# tank?  I saw some on craigslist this morning for $80.  Swapping at Central Welding should run around $20 for the 20# tank.  I've never had a problem with any of their tanks (and I have 3-5# and 1-20#).

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/2326072880.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/for/2325773107.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/2324445070.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline darkmorford

• Cellarman
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:53:47 pm »
$130 for a 10# tank, actually, but it's aluminum. He didn't have any steel 10-pounders to give me a price on. He mumbled something about "list price" while he was looking them up, though, so he might have given me the wrong quote.

I'll see if I can't find one cheaper on CraigsList or from the online brew-supply places. My long-term plan is to have a 20# to run a soda fountain, a 10# for beer dispensing, and a second 10# for carbonating/backup. But one step at a time.